Marshall launches pharmacy school

Aug 14, 2012 Full story: Charleston Gazette 6

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. -- Marshall University officially launched the opening of what is now the third pharmacy school in West Virginia on Tuesday, promising the program would lead to "explosive" job growth and health-care opportunities in the Huntington area.

Full Story
par4course

Huntington, WV

#1 Aug 15, 2012
This school should have been established 20 years ago. Then, there wouldn't have been a need for UC's school. I really feel for these students as there will not be any jobs available for them, and they will be in mountains of debt. Fewer older pharmacists are retiring. They really can't in today's economic climate. Furthermore, the Huntington/Charleston markets are completely saturated. There are no pharmacist positions here. And, the chains are not in a rush to build new stores. It's not too late for these kids to change their majors since pharmacy, especially retail, will not exist in 10-15 years.
dwd

Huntington, WV

#2 Aug 16, 2012
You sound like someone who had an application rejected. There are many other things a PharmD can do besides retail.
me too

Huntington, WV

#3 Aug 16, 2012
par4course wrote:
This school should have been established 20 years ago. Then, there wouldn't have been a need for UC's school. I really feel for these students as there will not be any jobs available for them, and they will be in mountains of debt. Fewer older pharmacists are retiring. They really can't in today's economic climate. Furthermore, the Huntington/Charleston markets are completely saturated. There are no pharmacist positions here. And, the chains are not in a rush to build new stores. It's not too late for these kids to change their majors since pharmacy, especially retail, will not exist in 10-15 years.
dumb dumb, people are gettin sicker everyday and the population is increasing, go back and check your math
Counselor

Findlay, OH

#4 Aug 16, 2012
par4course wrote:
. Agree..as a school guidance counselor a career as a pharmacist isn't the career I would recommend these days. Because of the bad economy and people not having insurance after being laid off, most doctor offices will give these patients medicine for free that they have in their office. Pharmacy companies give doctors and hospital a lot of free medicine. Most patients don't know this. I have friends who fax their prescriptions to pharmacies in Canada and have their prescriptions filled and sent to them over night delivery for extremely cheap. The same medicine from US pharma companies. I use to do it myself when I was on blood pressure medicine. My prescription here was $62 out of pocket expense and $7 in Canada with free overnight FedEx if the prescription was for 3 months or longer. Also pharmacy tech's take the orders and fill them. The pharmacist just double check the order. Some pharmacys have pharmacist who only work 4 hour days since the techs can do most of the work. They can still make 75,000 plus a years just for being part time. As these older pharmacist are retiring, new pharmacist are being hired in at $40-50,000 as these companies are cutting cost. Anyone who says this isn't true should do their research on the labor market and talk to their pharmacist and ask them would they recommend people going to pharmacy school.
SkyHigh

Cleveland, OH

#5 Aug 16, 2012
My brother is a pharmacist for a well known pharmacy in Orlando making $42,000 after five years. I start work next week as a international flight attendant for Delta based out of Atlanta and will be making $48,000. I have no student loans but my brother still owes $27,000.
par4course

Huntington, WV

#6 Aug 16, 2012
No, in fact the opposite. I'm
a practicing pharmacist of 15 years. When I started, I chose my pharmacy and pretty much chose my salary. If I were to leave my job today, I would be out of luck. Granted, people are getting older and taking more meds. But guess what? Do you see new pharmacies being opened? I don't. Here's why: Third party reimbursement rates are horrible. Pharmacies lose money on nearly every prescription dispensed. This is why you don't see as many independant pharmacies---they simply can't afford to stay in business. You think chains are promoting vaccines for the welfare of patients? Wrong. The profit margin on vaccines helps offset the loss incurred through third party reimbursement. I would strongly discourage any student from choosing pharmacy as a profession now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WVU could purchase MSU campus in Beckley Nov 17 oversight 10
Settlement reached over Mountain State Universi... Sep '14 Aida 14
Drums Across Tri-State This Evening At Laidley ... Jul '14 Nascar 1
Florence County Inmate found dead in his cell (Mar '14) Mar '14 Tammy Elmore 2
WV education graduates say teacher pay isn't th... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Nancy 3
Tattoo artist hopes business success is permanent (Jan '14) Jan '14 hugh janus 1
University Of Charleston Student Found Dead On ... (Jan '14) Jan '14 turn around slowly 2
More from around the web