BATESVILLE Sales-tax increase on the ...

BATESVILLE Sales-tax increase on the ballot

There are 71 comments on the Arkansas Online story from Aug 1, 2010, titled BATESVILLE Sales-tax increase on the ballot. In it, Arkansas Online reports that:

After months, and even years, of consideration and research, Elumbaugh and a 40-member task force are proposing some big changes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Arkansas Online.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
uio

Anonymous Proxy

#1 Aug 3, 2010
this is a crock of lies. The Mayor will pay for this with no job.

Cave City, AR

#2 Aug 4, 2010
and the race is own. Batesville loses either way. They have isolated themselves.
Guest 2

Batesville, AR

#3 Aug 4, 2010
uio wrote:
If the issue is turned down by the vote, you may be correct is assuming that the mayor's job is in danger. On the other hand, should a majority of the people support the tax increase it is most likely that this same majority will vote in support of the mayor during the next election is 2 years. He has no opposition in the current race.

Blytheville, AR

#4 Aug 4, 2010
uio wrote:
OK. This thread looks like it started in the middle of the subject. What is the tax supossedly going to be used for? And how long will it last?

Cave City, AR

#5 Aug 4, 2010
no one knows. It wuill be used to build disneyland.

even if it passes mayor is history. The project will fall on it's face, only a couple developers MIGHT benefit, everybody else loses.

Cave City, AR

#6 Aug 4, 2010
Guest 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the issue is turned down by the vote, you may be correct is assuming that the mayor's job is in danger. On the other hand, should a majority of the people support the tax increase it is most likely that this same majority will vote in support of the mayor during the next election is 2 years. He has no opposition in the current race.
tHERE IS NO CURRENT RACE IDIOT. hE DOES HAVE AN OPONENT THAT HAS NOT ANNOUNCED YET.
Guest 2

Batesville, AR

#7 Aug 4, 2010
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
tHERE IS NO CURRENT RACE IDIOT. hE DOES HAVE AN OPONENT THAT HAS NOT ANNOUNCED YET.
So you think what? That a write in candidate is going to beat him?

Cave City, AR

#9 Aug 4, 2010
he would have a damn good chance. Much better known, liked, and intelligent.
Guest 2

Batesville, AR

#10 Aug 4, 2010
guest wrote:
he would have a damn good chance. Much better known, liked, and intelligent.
Well first of all, if he is more intelligent than the current mayor he will not subject himself to the local political arena. At least not the job of mayor. Second, I'll bet you good money you can not name a time, in the last 100 years, where a write in candidate has won an office in either the city, county or state. I'm probably wrong, cause, buy your call, I'm an idiot. You know not who I am and I care not of you, but, I have forgotten more about getting politicans elected to public office than you'll ever know.

I care not if the sales tax is approved, but my bet is that you had better get out the Vaseline cause this is getting ready to be run up your old ya-zu.
Pete Whetstone

Batesville, AR

#11 Aug 4, 2010
I have a tendency to be very consertavity and stay out of such frays as this, but, I agree with Guest 2 and his thoughts on the mayor and this particular election issue. Regardless of the election results, the mayor is re-electable is he choses to run for another term.

“WAKE UP!!!!”

Since: Jul 10

Wherever my fam is!

#12 Aug 5, 2010
Guest 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
They realize that a majority opposes the proposal. The evidence of this is that it is being decided in a special election in August where they have a better chance of mobilizing only supporters rather than during the general election in November when practically everybody that votes would show up and easily defeat the measure. I promise you now, this will not help Batesville grow! The added taxation is a hindrance to new businesses whose employees and owners would have to pay the tax. This will put the sales tax in Batesville at almost 10 percent, one of the highest per capita in the nation. Cities with sales taxes on that level are not growing, but are in decline.
Angry white guy

Arlington, TN

#13 Aug 5, 2010
I agree with the Ranting Patriot. The only reason to call for a special election is because the city fathers and mothers know this tax doesn't have a snowball chance of passing in the general election. They are thieves and cowards. If you already know a majority of the folks won't vote for it and you continue to try to get it passed then you aren't serving you constituents, you're serving yourself. They are a bunch of pompous, arrogant jack wagons.

If one and a quarter cents tax increase will bring us all properity and create something for "everyone", why not ask for 2 and a half and bring more properity and something for "everyone else." Better yet why not 5 percent. Wow with that much taxation, we're bound to become rich, rich, rich.

With each new sales tax request we are always promised the same things, more jobs, more properity. Yet we continue to languish in the same rut as before, we are just a cent or a half cent or a quarter of a cent poorer.
kly

Anonymous Proxy

#14 Aug 5, 2010
This is what happens with low IQ mayors and councils. Stick it to the little guy.

Shoot we may get one, maybe two tournaments a year out of it. But as others, the majority are within driving distance and do not stay in hotels. And have you ever noticed them carrying cooler full of beer and pop and food because it is so high at the parks.

Sure maybe a girls softball team travels out of state, how will that help us? How many to a team and how many ride together and bunk up in minimal hotel rooms to save money.

Get an education!

What a bunch of dummies.
plo

Anonymous Proxy

#15 Aug 5, 2010
Guest 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well first of all, if he is more intelligent than the current mayor he will not subject himself to the local political arena. At least not the job of mayor. Second, I'll bet you good money you can not name a time, in the last 100 years, where a write in candidate has won an office in either the city, county or state. I'm probably wrong, cause, buy your call, I'm an idiot. You know not who I am and I care not of you, but, I have forgotten more about getting politicans elected to public office than you'll ever know.
I care not if the sales tax is approved, but my bet is that you had better get out the Vaseline cause this is getting ready to be run up your old ya-zu.
Well you do that every day anyway, nothing new for you.
plo

Anonymous Proxy

#16 Aug 5, 2010
Angry white guy wrote:
I agree with the Ranting Patriot. The only reason to call for a special election is because the city fathers and mothers know this tax doesn't have a snowball chance of passing in the general election. They are thieves and cowards. If you already know a majority of the folks won't vote for it and you continue to try to get it passed then you aren't serving you constituents, you're serving yourself. They are a bunch of pompous, arrogant jack wagons.
If one and a quarter cents tax increase will bring us all properity and create something for "everyone", why not ask for 2 and a half and bring more properity and something for "everyone else." Better yet why not 5 percent. Wow with that much taxation, we're bound to become rich, rich, rich.
With each new sales tax request we are always promised the same things, more jobs, more properity. Yet we continue to languish in the same rut as before, we are just a cent or a half cent or a quarter of a cent poorer.
Exactly
plo

Anonymous Proxy

#17 Aug 5, 2010
Ranting Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
They realize that a majority opposes the proposal. The evidence of this is that it is being decided in a special election in August where they have a better chance of mobilizing only supporters rather than during the general election in November when practically everybody that votes would show up and easily defeat the measure. I promise you now, this will not help Batesville grow! The added taxation is a hindrance to new businesses whose employees and owners would have to pay the tax. This will put the sales tax in Batesville at almost 10 percent, one of the highest per capita in the nation. Cities with sales taxes on that level are not growing, but are in decline.
They do not have a clue
Bell- California

United States

#18 Aug 5, 2010
This could turn into another Bell, California-Recalls-Recalls-Rec alls-Recalls-Recalls-Recalls!
Allan Chandler

Batesville, AR

#19 Aug 5, 2010
Hi Ed
Edi

Batesville, AR

#20 Aug 5, 2010
Hush up. Remember Shumate-gate
Wow

Batesville, AR

#21 Aug 5, 2010
Yep

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Arkansas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Body Found in Burning Car after Neighbors Hear ... (Mar '13) Dec 7 Guest 10
News Charity gives $10K to UAHT to help with Kids' C... (Jun '17) Oct '17 JenniferSim 3
News Fayetteville City Council preview: Sept. 5, 2017 Sep '17 Lol 1
News Genealogy group to meet in Ashdown (May '17) May '17 George Nunn 1
News Sex-Trafficking Survivor Overcomes Trauma, Prep... (May '17) May '17 needamorontotellm... 1
News Fayetteville demonstrators stand up after anti-... (Feb '17) Mar '17 Vic 2
News Gardens set to build $1 million treehouse (Jan '17) Jan '17 Can't Wait 1
More from around the web