Nature bats last

Nature bats last

There are 28 comments on the Observer story from Apr 3, 2012, titled Nature bats last. In it, Observer reports that:

Guy McPherson's presentation Sunday at the Fredonia Grange made it clear he does not look at the world through rose-colored glasses.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Observer.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#2 Apr 3, 2012
Guy McPherson is described as a climate change expert, whatver that is.

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

#3 Apr 3, 2012
So how much do you think he plunked down for his chicken & goat farm? Hobby farms the last time I checked don't come cheap. When they're in "The Valley" I expect they're a bit more.
LessHypeMoreFact

Concord, Canada

#4 Apr 3, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
Guy McPherson is described as a climate change expert, whatver that is.
All three words are clear English and defined in the dictionary.

You need an "English as a Second Language" course.

They will teach you not only the spelling variations but the meaning of words. Unlike you, words carry meaning.

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#5 Apr 3, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
They will teach you not only the spelling variations but the meaning of words. Unlike you, words carry meaning.
Funny but if I use the dictionary to define this man the answer would be closer to nut than climate expert. For example his gift economy would not work so well during a local drought. After all, who is going to have anything to gift the others when he would not have anything to begin with?

His problem is that we are only in the third inning and have a long way to go before the game is over.

#6 Apr 3, 2012
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow, alias:
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Have you found a dictionary with "fourty" in it yet, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty.
NoFactAllHype wrote:
Says the guy who thinks "copywrite" is a word.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
I do not provide any *copywrite* notice on the name.
"Copywrite" is a priceless misspelling of copyright, as I've pointed out to you on a number of occasions, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin...
NoFactAllHype wrote:
They will teach you not only the spelling variations but the meaning of words.
Says the guy who thought spelt was only an ancient grain.
NoFactAllHype wrote:
Unlike you, words carry meaning.
What do you carry, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Millenia?
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Really. And have you proven that 'proved' is the past tense of prove??
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
..that is causes stupid people to make incomplete sentences or any sense whatever?
LessHypeMoreFact

Concord, Canada

#7 Apr 3, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny but if I use the dictionary to define this man the answer would be closer to nut than climate expert.
Whether he is or is not a climate change expert is not the point.

The point is that 'climate change expert' is a term with a specific and easily determined meaning. Not a 'whatever that is'.

And as usual, you post is without a point and without merit.

#8 Apr 3, 2012
Now we've established that Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty knows what a "climate change expert" is, I'm sure that he will find this "climate change expert" to be too old:
-
Vincent Gray: 90 year old climate change expert calls global warming scare ‘absurdity’
March 17, 2012

As I approach my 90th birthday next week I thought I would provide a more personal newsletter which summarized the state of play on Global Warming/Climate Change or whatever is the current euphemism to cover up the failure of the theory that the climate is exclusively controlled by human emissions of “greenhouse gases”
http://junkscience.com/2012/03/17/vincent-gra...

Norfolk va

#9 Apr 4, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether he is or is not a climate change expert is not the point.
The point is that 'climate change expert' is a term with a specific and easily determined meaning. Not a 'whatever that is'.
And as usual, you post is without a point and without merit.
Then in that case I must be a climate change expert as well. Since I know as much if not more than this man.

So which is he, a climate change expert or nut. Just remeber I am better at which ever it is than he is.
LessHypeMoreFact

Concord, Canada

#10 Apr 4, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Then in that case I must be a climate change expert as well. Since I know as much if not more than this man.
Or think you do. But the term 'climate change expert' doesn't depend on what you think of yourelf OR anyone else.
Fun Facts

Owens Cross Roads, AL

#11 Apr 4, 2012
From the article:

"McPherson decided to walk away from a successful career as a professor of natural resources and the environment at the University of Arizona.

His work focused on the conservation of biological diversity. His book "Walking Away from Empire: A Personal Journey" explains his thinking about walking away and his actions thereafter."

This is a 'climate expert'?

We tried communes in the 60s, not many are still around.
LessHypeMoreFact

Concord, Canada

#12 Apr 4, 2012
Fun Facts wrote:
From the article:
"McPherson decided to walk away from a successful career as a professor of natural resources and the environment at the University of Arizona.His work focused on the conservation of biological diversity.
So he is a succerssful PhD with experience and expertise in climate and biodiversity. His credentials seem pretty good so far.
Fun Facts wrote:
His book "Walking Away from Empire: A Personal Journey" explains his thinking about walking away and his actions thereafter."
Did he really need to explain himself? More likely this is an attempt to educate the public in this area of interest.
Fun Facts wrote:
This is a 'climate expert'?
'climate change expert'. Can you not even keep the simple things straight?

A scientist can be an expert in a field even when he is specializing in a specific area within that field. I.e. the effect of changing climate on existing biodiversity. So in my opinion he is entitled to claim such expertise.

In your, maybe not. But then again, nobody considers you a peer in this area so your opinion is moot. As is mine. Only a peer in the 'climate change science' could make a credible and authoritative assessment of whether he fits the term or not. Not that it matters. You can call him a climate change expert or a fraud as you like. Nobody cares what you think.
Fun Facts wrote:
We tried communes in the 60s, not many are still around.
Try Israel. They have thousand of them ( they call them kibbutz). And I suspect there are more around than you think. But they don't advertise as much. Most family farms might fit the term too.. ;-)

You are such a critic of everyone else. Must be a major inferiority complex you have going.
LessHypeMoreFact

Concord, Canada

#13 Apr 4, 2012
Correction to post #12.

Israel currently has 270 communes (aka Kibbutz) not 'thousands'. I meant to write hundreds.. and decided to get the real figure when I noticed the error.

#14 Apr 4, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Correction to post #12.
Israel currently has 270 communes (aka Kibbutz) not 'thousands'. I meant to write hundreds.. and decided to get the real figure when I noticed the error.
It's a great pity you refuse to do the same thing for forty, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty.
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Actually it was spelled with a U in my lifetime, which is how I learned to spell it that way. Just as I learned that 'spelt' is a cereal grain, and that the past tense of spell is 'spelled'.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
It was not a 'mistake'. It was a fact. Even when the first dictionary was being compiled the epistimologist had to choose between many spellings. I expect that 'forty' as a spelling was induced by the slave trade and that forty was a popular number among the traders due to the size of most slave ships. However, that is speculation. The OTHER words that are composites of four and some other word are ALL spelled in full, and it would beggar comprehension to think that the 'original spelling' of ONE of those words was corrupted 'ab initio'.
As I said, I was taught 'fourty' in school in 1960's Central Ontario and it was a standard fact that as you went closer to the border with the US, the more the US spellings of ALL words were popularized. This is not subject to debate. It is a fact. You heard it from me.
But it is really also just a distraction. One upmanship of a very juvenile quality trying to bury me under the current popular spelling as if that had anything to do with my childhood or AGW.

Norfolk va

#15 Apr 4, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Or think you do. But the term 'climate change expert' doesn't depend on what you think of yourelf OR anyone else.
Yet you seem to think McPherson is and he knows far less.

#16 Apr 4, 2012
tina anne wrote:
LessFact's easily impressed, "climate change expert" probably turns him on.
LessHypeMoreFact

Concord, Canada

#17 Apr 4, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if he is or not. I am not one of his peer and can only assess what is known. That includes a successful university career in at least one aspect of the term.

You make too much of the term. It is merely a noun with an adjective phrase. Expert is subjective and there are degrees of expertise. Certainly he is 'expert' in comparison to most people.

But that does not mean he is GOD. It means he is educated.

Rather than expert (which scares you) maybe you should call him a 'respected opinion'. But of course you have no respect for anybody, so I guess that is still too much for you.
LessHypeMoreFact

Concord, Canada

#18 Apr 4, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>LessFact's easily impressed, "climate change expert" probably turns him on.
ha ha.

You think you are a wit.

You are half right.

#19 Apr 5, 2012
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow, alias:
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
ha ha.
You think you are a wit.
You are half right.
I've never heard that before, did you think it up all by yourself, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty?
LessHypeMoreFact

Concord, Canada

#20 Apr 5, 2012
It must be creeping senility. That one is nearly as old as you are.

Norfolk va

#21 Apr 5, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if he is or not. I am not one of his peer and can only assess what is known. That includes a successful university career in at least one aspect of the term.
You make too much of the term. It is merely a noun with an adjective phrase. Expert is subjective and there are degrees of expertise. Certainly he is 'expert' in comparison to most people.
But that does not mean he is GOD. It means he is educated.
Rather than expert (which scares you) maybe you should call him a 'respected opinion'. But of course you have no respect for anybody, so I guess that is still too much for you.
A successful university career reminds me of the old roman saying of those who cannot do teach. Or in other words he means little other than he can teach those who know less. He may be educated in a narrow field of study but in general knows less than the average person.

I would not consider him an expert on anything other than teaching and raising goats. What in reality is an activist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Arizona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News See how Arizona's universities would spend the ... Mar 26 Solarman 1
News Anti-Racist': - I Will Always Call on My Black ... Dec '17 el rey de los cam... 57
News Buffalo and Rochester submit joint build for ne... (Oct '17) Oct '17 Brian 1
News This election has divided the country. Getting ... (Nov '16) Jul '17 Maria 1,138
News Sean Miller leaving Arizona for Ohio State? 'Ov... (Jun '17) Jun '17 They cannot kill ... 1
News Activists put up crosses at construction site f... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Texxy 1
News University of Arizona Guide: Safe Spaces should... (Mar '17) Mar '17 kdavidsmith13 1