NASA Telescopes See Weather Patterns In Brown Dwarf

Jan 9, 2013 Full story: WireNews+Co

Astronomers using NASA's Spitzer and Hubble space telescopes have probed the stormy atmosphere of a brown dwarf, creating the most detailed "weather map" yet for this class of cool, star-like orbs.

Full Story

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Jan 9, 2013
Impressive.

Looks like the classical belt weather of gas giants is absent (climate modes of 4+ the number of cells per hemisphere from the equator to pole).
(Terrestrial planets have climate modes of 1 through 4), For example Titan has climate mode#5 (one upper cell equator to pole), venus is climate mode#6 (2 upper atmosphere cells equator to pole). The next climate mode up appears to be Uranus which was mode#8 when I last looked.

The reports indicate that the cells are individual storm spots with no belts.

The rotation rate appears a bit zippy. 90 minutes is considerably faster than the 9 or 10 hours of the Jupiter & saturn sized gas giants.

The next challenge would be to find weather variations on the "room temperature" brown dwarves.
May need IR or radio surveys for that one.

Have a nice day: Ag

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#2 Jan 9, 2013
Oops I missed a bit in the prior post.

Terrestrial planets have modes of 1 through 4 such as mars which is in climate mode#1 with a clear atmosphere. The occasional global dust storms on mars are the very efficient post perihelion outbreaks of climate mode#4 (global cooling occurs during the event).
The Earth was in climate mode#2 (the model characterised by Jason); and is now as a result of warming just changed to mode#3 which is rather more efficient at cooling the planet.

gas giant planets have a very thisk atmosphere with only the upper cell visible at a distance. This is also effective in the case of terrestrial surfaced objects with a very thisk atmosphere with cells of 2 layers vertically in the atmosphere and behave as gas giants.
For example Titan has climate mode#5...

{See above post for the rest of the report}

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Arizona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mars probe 'may have been spotted' Jan 17 SpaceBlues 2
Germs and reusable bags Jan 15 zionist bagmen 1
Early twentieth-century warming linked to tropi... Dec 26 IBdaMann 6
Professor: 'Terminate Industrial Civilization' ... Dec '14 Earthling-1 16
NASA researchers discover dusty star system sim... Nov '14 Andarz Abedini 1
Objects thrown at AZ mosque lead to evictions Nov '14 concerned-mom 1
Student flying flag threatened with apartment e... Nov '14 Callie 1
More from around the web