Asteroid to Just Squeeze Past Earth

Asteroid to Just Squeeze Past Earth

There are 1 comment on the Wall Street Journal story from Nov 8, 2011, titled Asteroid to Just Squeeze Past Earth. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

Astronomers have trained their instruments on a huge asteroid due to cross Earth's path Tuesday, in the closet approach of such an object in a generation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

JosephMendiola

Hagatna, Guam

#1 Nov 8, 2011
Certainly looks like it - based on my post-Midnite visual observations oer Guam, it appears that Asteroid 2005 YU55 is coming in southwardly just 2-3 degrees off the Moon's perpendicular line to the Local = Earth horizon, albeit this has likely changed since sunrise.

First there was nothing in the free space surrounding the Moon, then suddenly there it was - IT WAS BRIGHT ENOUGH TO BE SEEN SEPARATELY EVEN THOUGH BOTH IT THE MOON BECAME OBSCURED BY CLOUDS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Arizona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News This election has divided the country. Getting ... (Nov '16) Jul '17 Maria 1,141
News Sean Miller leaving Arizona for Ohio State? 'Ov... Jun '17 They cannot kill ... 1
News Activists put up crosses at construction site f... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Texxy 1
News University of Arizona Guide: Safe Spaces should... (Mar '17) Mar '17 kdavidsmith13 1
News Cassandra Garcia, 8-Year-Old Student, Upset Aft... (May '12) Mar '17 Maltomon 9
News Tucson Day Trip: Downtown's East End (Feb '17) Feb '17 flubber 1
News Vote for it or money goes away: Arizona lawmake... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Predator Harm In ... 1
More from around the web