Permafrost's future in Alaska looks poor, but the forecast isn't all bad

Nov 6, 2009 Full story: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner 10

Alaska will probably see most of its surface permafrost vanish by the end of this century, but researchers believe vast areas of frozen soil will remain deeper underground even as air temperatures increase.

Full Story

Since: Apr 08

Mission Viejo, CA

#1 Nov 8, 2009
What is the effect is that going to do.

“Team YOU'RE D.E.N.I.E.D.”

Since: Oct 09

Lakeside, AZ

#2 Nov 9, 2009
Could sink the maldives.

LoL you can see plainly those are windows lol someones's cellar caved in.. on one end.

So - all those trees back there, they're growing down through solid LoL ice? Wow. That's a hardy poplar.And, the ground... just melted right there UNDER that building. LoL.

Maybe, the bottom of that foundation, is what's holdin' the Maldives UP..

With global warming of course, you never know... you just, never know..

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#3 Nov 9, 2009
Funny part was they mentioned that plants releasing CO2. Last time I checked plants absorbed CO2, Sunlight, and nutrients from the soil and relased O2.

Also DigitaP is right about those trees and grass growing around that home. Maybe the reason it is sinking on one end is because that is where the wife and the mother in law sleep.

Since: Aug 08

Granite Falls, WA

#4 Nov 9, 2009
tina anne wrote:
Funny part was they mentioned that plants releasing CO2. Last time I checked plants absorbed CO2......
Only plants that are alive absorb CO2. When plants are dead, they release CO2. When permafrost thaws along with plant materials, are the plant materials alive? The answer is that the plant materials are dead AND they give up CO2.

tina anne comes through again.........with another strike-out.

Norfolk va

#5 Nov 10, 2009
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Only plants that are alive absorb CO2. When plants are dead, they release CO2. When permafrost thaws along with plant materials, are the plant materials alive? The answer is that the plant materials are dead AND they give up CO2.
tina anne comes through again.........with another strike-out.
Actually they would be decaying material that is giving up methane. And if you have a large enought planet material and it stays long enought underground then you have something called coal. I sure you have heard of that.

Granite Falls, WA

#6 Nov 10, 2009
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually they (sic) would be decaying material that is giving up methane. And if you have a large enought(sic) planet material and it stays long enought(sic) underground then you have something called coal. I sure you have heard of that.
Decaying material gives up methane & CO2, as the article states...AND you initially denied. Your career as a denier is becoming expansive.......& erroneous.

Norfolk va

#7 Nov 15, 2009
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Decaying material gives up methane & CO2, as the article states...AND you initially denied. Your career as a denier is becoming expansive.......& erroneous.
You should look for inmformation outside the article. Because if you do not your the one in denial.

Also look up how coal was formed. You might notice the reason coal has such a high carbon congtent is because it is compressed organic (plant) material.

Granite Falls, WA

#8 Nov 15, 2009
tina anne wrote:
You should look for inmformation outside the article. Because if you do not your the one in denial.
Also look up how coal was formed. You might notice the reason coal has such a high carbon congtent is because it is compressed organic (plant) material.
In an effort to spin away from your error, you bring up another subject. Again.........

Norfolk va

#9 Nov 15, 2009
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
In an effort to spin away from your error, you bring up another subject. Again.........
A sign that you have run out of excuses is when you keep repeating the last one.

If you think I am wrong then prove it. Otherwise the only one in denial is yourself. Dispite the claims about methane increasing the atmosphere isn't showing any increase in methane world wide. Prove that CO2 is actually increasing. Or are you going to deny that it isn't happening.
Nobody

Wheeling, WV

#10 Mar 24, 2010
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
A sign that you have run out of excuses is when you keep repeating the last one.
If you think I am wrong then prove it. Otherwise the only one in denial is yourself. Dispite the claims about methane increasing the atmosphere isn't showing any increase in methane world wide. Prove that CO2 is actually increasing. Or are you going to deny that it isn't happening.
Litesong, she did it again!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Alaska Fairbanks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Remains of Ice Age infants uncovered in Alaska Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Botanists head to Nunavut to help fill out gaps... Jun '14 link above broken... 2
Strange 'swarm' of earthquakes near Noatak conf... Jun '14 SimplyLoveYou 2
Strange 'swarm' of earthquakes near Noatak conf... Jun '14 other reading 1
Rapidly melting glaciers give Utah expert new v... (Oct '13) Nov '13 Sneaky Pete 7
3 rescued after helicopter ices on Alaska volcano (Sep '13) Sep '13 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Consider sea routes for gas: Ocean shipping cou... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Eric 1