University of Alaska Students Protest...

University of Alaska Students Protest "Ex-Gay" Speaker

There are 28 comments on the queersunited.blogspot.com story from Sep 17, 2009, titled University of Alaska Students Protest "Ex-Gay" Speaker. In it, queersunited.blogspot.com reports that:

Students at the University of Alaska Fairbanks are protesting a series of speaking engagements by Edward Delgado a so called "ex-gay" evangelist.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at queersunited.blogspot.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Spider

Alpharetta, GA

#22 Sep 17, 2009
TTTIN wrote:
If you really change just call yourself "straight" don't bother calling yourself "Ex-gay". You don't hear people going around talking about how they're "ex-child", "ex-single", "ex-married". People say they're "adult", "married", or "divorced".
That would be misleading. An "ex-gay" is not straight. Ex-gays are not sexually attracted to the opposite sex.

Pssst! a little secret: Neither a gay man's penis nor an ex-gay's penis erects for women. A woman would feel cheated and unloved. Her marriage would end in annulment or divorce. Would you want your daughter to marry a guy who couldn't get it up for women?

Only a bisexual man or a straight man can "please" a woman. The therapists who claim success are simply convincing bisexual men to "go straight".
Reason

Houston, TX

#23 Sep 17, 2009
Jeff wrote:
A question for why is where is the proof about gays can and do change. I was in the ministry doing this for almost 20 years. Yes a few men and women get married and even hve kids but they still struggle with their thouhgts towards loving and being sexual with a member of the same sex. Yes some in the gay population have unbridled sex, use drugs, drink and smoke like there is no tomorrow but that is with any people group. I will say that we in the community need to have more restraint in regards to how we use and abuse our bodies and minds with sex, alcohol and drugs. But this by no means that all or even most deal with these issues.
But will agree that Mr Delago does have a right to speak and if he views one being gay as sin then he has that right in a democracy. And the students who feel threatend well grow up. We live in a world that does not always agree. Learn to make your stand and with conviction express yourself with humility and honesty knowpng the others argument and be able to listen in light of disagreement.
The problem with your argument is that he is being given a public forum by a university to spread his lies. If his talk was to get up and say that his religion views homosexual acts as sinful, it wouldn't be a problem, although I would question it's place in a secular university. If, however, he gets up and spouts lies about it being possible to change sexual orientation, which ALL scientific evidence seems to refute, it is a huge problem for a university to lend him credibility by allowing him to speak there.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#24 Sep 17, 2009
This subject of "reparative therapy" always reminds me of the lines from The Boys in the Band:

"You're a sad and pathetic man. You're a homosexual and you don't want to be, but there's nothing you can do to change it. Not all the prayers to your god, not all the analysis you can buy in all the years you've go left to live. You may one day be able to know a heterosexual life if you want it desperately enough. If you pursue it with the fervor with which you annihilate. But you'll always be homosexual as well. Always Michael. Always. Until the day you die."

Like most of the play, it's brutal but true.
DiSgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#25 Sep 18, 2009
SFer wrote:
This subject of "reparative therapy" always reminds me of the lines from The Boys in the Band:
"You're a sad and pathetic man. You're a homosexual and you don't want to be, but there's nothing you can do to change it. Not all the prayers to your god, not all the analysis you can buy in all the years you've go left to live. You may one day be able to know a heterosexual life if you want it desperately enough. If you pursue it with the fervor with which you annihilate. But you'll always be homosexual as well. Always Michael. Always. Until the day you die."
Like most of the play, it's brutal but true.
so true,so true...good movie - but a BIG downer.
DiSgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#26 Sep 18, 2009
I'd be interested in someone starting a X-Straight Therapy Lecture Curcuit...Let's see how that would go over....Cause according to heteros its Soooo Easy to just "change your mind" about your sexuality. I mean, come on some Uber-Hyper Macho Womenizer, all the sudden gets therapy to TURN GAY...right....it can happen...(snark)

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#27 Sep 18, 2009
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
The Pekin troll lives to lie another day!
A brave man dies but one death....a COWARD dies a thousand times. This one has to be on 999...

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#28 Sep 18, 2009
I see your location is Philadelphia. I lived there when THE BOYS IN THE BAND stage play was trying out at one of the local theatres. In fact, I remember a few of the cast members appeared on the Mike Douglas show. I can't remember who the actor was who played Michael but he advised the audience not to go to the play "to see the fairies dance" but accept it as a serious work.

A year later I went to see an amateur/student production of TBITB at.....Swarthmore College.

It was a hoot! Definitely another time and another place.
DiSgusted American wrote:
<quoted text>so true,so true...good movie - but a BIG downer.

deeter1013

Since: Jul 09

Sonora, CA

#29 Sep 18, 2009
a 15 year old gay guy who is a virgin...

is still GAY.

sex has little to do with it.

If I never have sex again..I will STILL be gay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Alaska Fairbanks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News HAARP To Be Transferred To UAF (May '16) May '16 USA these days 1
News University of Alaska Fairbanks to take over fab... (May '16) May '16 USA these days 1
News HAARP Facility Will Be Transferred to the Unive... (May '16) May '16 USA these days 1
News UA to make $2M loan to Fairbanks campus for HAA... (May '16) May '16 Elf 1
News Federal auroral program to be transferred to UAF (May '16) May '16 Santa 1
News UAF hosting free public lecture (Apr '16) Apr '16 Jane Ann 1
News DNA of Ancient Alaskan Babies Revealed Native A... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Sarah Pale-Face -... 1
More from around the web