Alabama immigration crackdown costing state billions: study

Feb 2, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Reuters

Alabama's crackdown on illegal immigrants, widely seen as the toughest in the United States, could cost the state's economy up to $10.8 billion, according to a new study.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 43 of43
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's all speculation at this point. All I see so far are stats that seem to show that it will cost the state a lot more than it saves them. We shall see.
What stats are you talking about? I have not seen one independent study that shows the over all cost will be more than what is saved. Common sense says that if 80,000 jobs open up for American and legal immigrant workers in the state and 80,000 illegal aliens and their children who cost the state over $10,000.00 a year each just to educate leave the state, the reduction in unemployment, reduction in education costs, reduction in crime, reduction in welfare and other social costs will equal a net savings for the state. That of course does not include the fact that fewer illegal aliens mean fewer uninsured drivers which will lower the cost of car insurance. Fewer illegal aliens without health insurance will lower the cost of health care due to unpaid services which in turn lowers the cost of health insurance. I can go on about the direct savings to citizens including lower housing costs but the point is all the money “lost” is because illegal enterprises will no longer be able to break the law. Allowing illegal activity just because some people profit from it is not right, just or fair. Allowing business owners to exploit their labor force, which is exactly what they are doing by hiring illegal aliens, is also not right, just or fair. It is about doing the morally right thing not about how much it may or may not cost to stop the crime and suffering caused by employing illegal aliens.

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Judged:

NON COMPLACENT TWINK wrote:
I see that Arizona has now filed a suit:
Arizona sues U.S. gov't for failing to enforce immigration laws
Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/02...
Here is a link to the suit in Tennessee and it is a class action suit on behalf of the American citizens. I joined the suit last year.
http://libertylegalfoundation.org/illegal-imm...
Awesome! Every state should do that on behalf of the citizens. It's about time!
Free is free

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Anyone who quotes this 'study' as anything more than opinion better go read the damned thing.

It's got more holes than a sieve and is laced with phrases like "the specific impact is difficult to gauge". It's not really a study per se, but more a point piece, from a single man's point of view, on what HB56 *might* have cost Alabama, assuming it had basically zero positive effect.

It has all the earmarks of a rush-job, to heighten concerns over the negative impact of a law whose true costs and benefits will likely take several years to correctly assess. It's out there at:

http://cber.cba.ua.edu/New%20AL%20Immigration...

Good reading, for sure. See what the press is passing off as science - it's a hoot!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 43 of43
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••