Alabama law leaves immigrants on edge

Alabama law leaves immigrants on edge

There are 97 comments on the WBIR-TV story from Feb 21, 2012, titled Alabama law leaves immigrants on edge. In it, WBIR-TV reports that:

When Alabama's immigration law went into effect in September, it sent shock waves throughout Hispanic communities within the state.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR-TV.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Excellent

Kansas City, MO

#83 Feb 23, 2012
Bazinga wrote:
<quoted text> You clearly didn't read the report, it is not an ""article", it is a full report wiith plenty of statistics and comparative charts.
Don't expect the bigots to read the full report. They're known for cherry-picking and manipulating fact to manipulate the debate.
Find a Job Yet

Kansas City, MO

#84 Feb 23, 2012
G l o r i A wrote:
<quoted text>
Pull yourself together, vato!
How about you writing with FACTS instead of opinions?
Still stuck on playing the incompetent cheerleader?

Did you find a job yet?

giggle giggle giggle

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

#85 Feb 23, 2012
Bazinga wrote:
<quoted text> Fiirst of all, it looks like you don't know the law you defend so vehementely. In Alabama if you don't have your documents with you, you are charged with a felony, and you have to see a judge before to be cleared. And in Alabama a police officer doesn't have the "discretion" to arrest a person without his/her documents, the officer has to arrest this person. Finally i am not blaming anybody, i am just mentioning a practical issue, as harder the general enviroment as harder for a coompany to choose this place to do business.
You post out of your arse on a regular basis. You really should try reading up on the nonsense you try to pass as facts.

States are allowed to pass immigration laws as long as they *mirror* Federal Statutes and do not overstep Federal Statutes. Federal Statutes say that a foreign national not carrying identification is a misdemeanor. Therefore, Alabama would not be allowed to pass a law making it a felony. Someone must've dropped you on your head many times over as a baby. The big difference in Alabama is that citizens must also carry identification or they, too, will be arrested and jailed until such time as they can prove who they are.
When I commented that cops could ask your name and run it through their computer to find your picture, that only would apply to citizens, as foreigners are already required -- in ALL states -- to carry their documents. You can't go to the corner store without them if you are a foreign national, and it doesn't matter what state you are in.

The only reason someone would have to see a judge is if they failed to provide their documents and it was time to be arraigned. That's what happens when one gets arrested.

The Mercedes guy was not charged with a felony. He was arrested and jailed. I have been unable to find the original article, but it stated that he had someone bring him his papers and he was allowed to leave. He had no driver's license. He had no tags on the car. He was not carrying his papers. He can't drive here without obtaining a foreign driver's license from the consulate IN HIS COUNTRY. I don't care who the guy is, if he's not following the law, he needs to be arrested and suffer the consequences!

Here's another article on it that doesn't go into the detail the original one did:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/22/us-...

Quote:
As Mercedes-Benz executive Detlev Hager negotiated the streets of Tuscaloosa last week, he drove right into the controversy over Alabama's tough new immigration law.

The rental car he was driving, lacking a tag, caught the attention of a local policeman, who stopped Hager on Wednesday. When the officer asked for a driver's license, all he had on him was a German ID card.

"He was taken into custody," Tuscaloosa Police Chief Steven Anderson said.

Under Alabama's new immigration law, considered the toughest in the nation, everyone in Alabama must carry a valid identification card, including U.S. citizens.

the court ruled the state could continue to authorize police to detain people suspected of being in the country illegally if they cannot produce proper documentation when stopped for any reason.
End Quote

#86 Feb 23, 2012
Got ESL wrote:
<quoted text>'
What's "Reliabe" mean?
Got ESL???
LMFAO!!
Got a personality disorder?

#88 Feb 23, 2012
Excellent wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't expect the bigots to read the full report. They're known for cherry-picking and manipulating fact to manipulate the debate.
I read it all right. And all it did was exactly that -- manipulated data, changed facts, grouped ages, etc. to come up with the results the author was looking for. His real results were right there at the beginning. Then he started doing the "skew game" and managed to come up with all sorts of crap.
Nose 4 News

Saint Louis, MO

#89 Feb 23, 2012
Excellent wrote:
<quoted text>
And they call you Rico.

KnightMoves

Since: Sep 11

Traveling Onward

#90 Feb 23, 2012
as it should

KnightMoves

Traveling Onward

#91 Feb 23, 2012
they should have no comfort in America

KnightMoves

Traveling Onward

#92 Feb 23, 2012
We have homeless and hungry AMERICANS..to hell with illegal criminals!
Soylent Green

Canyon Country, CA

#93 Feb 23, 2012
KnightMoves wrote:
We have homeless and hungry AMERICANS..to hell with illegal criminals!
Help wipe out Hunger, Eat the Homeless.

“It matters but not very much”

Since: Oct 07

Houston, TX

#94 Feb 23, 2012
magadala wrote:
<quoted text>
Break it down a little more, too complicated for 'em!
Sad but true. They just are not flexible thinkers. Too infused with hatred and propaganda, probably. Like cult indoctrination.
Bazinga

Newport Beach, CA

#95 Feb 23, 2012
magadala wrote:
<quoted text>
My, my, enough said! I defy you to find one "hate" word, practice or nuisance by Fair, numbersusa, or cis.org . They all base their conclusions on cold hard facts/numbers! Give me one instance!
When I started this journey on illegal immigration I was more curious about it than anything else. I approached it with an objective open mind.
What I found was that msm continuously wrote articles that ignored major negative issues about illegal immigration. They, to this day, completely ignore the impact of identity theft on citizens because it is so commonplace that it is not considered a crime for the new amnesty. Them msm would constantly talk about how illegal immigrants stimulated the economy while I watched our school budgets continually fall and be burdened with ever increasing ESL/ELL classes regardless of the impact on our students. ESL/ELL is a sacred cow regardless of the state of our school budgets that eliminate PE, art, music, school supplies, etc.
I started looking to other sources for information. I get turned off by racist rants, I only want the facts. The organizations I have cited above fall under that criteria.
However, I now understand you better. ALL of your statements are null and void with me because you are one of those who believe that anything that exposes illegal aliens, they agenda, for what it is, according to you, a hater! Too bad!
The apple never fall far from the tree. Do tou know what Fair, numberusa, cis, and several other of this anti immigrants organizations have in comun? All of them were founded by John Tanton. Search who is Tanton? An open white supremacist linked to the eugnistic movement, to the American nazi organization, who have says "immigrants (legal or not, hispanics or chinese) are like bacteria". There are many ways to feel and express hate, not only words. Since you mention ESL classes, i am going to tell you something, don't blame the students, blame the system. My 10 years old daughter, perfectly bilingual, straight A's srudent, and in the advance level in the Star State test, every year is put in the ESL classes, and every year i have to go to the school and sign a waiver that i don't want her in this class, do you know why? Because the school receive extra money for every student enrolled in ESL classes.

Since: Feb 12

Gainesville, TX

#96 Feb 25, 2012
Rebel wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a time down here several years ago that the Irish illegals were yelling about rights (not quite as loud as the Hispanics yell, but still yelling). I think they may also have taken their little "party" to Washington DC. Two of the participants used to live in the same duplex as an old friend of mine. The sister was legal, but the brother was not. I promptly turned the brother *and* his employer over to ICE and the IRS. I can only hope he was eventually caught. Both sister *and* brother are bad news, but I think sister actually obtained citizenship. The brother regularly talked about working cash under the table.
They both made me sick. The sister was committing a felony by aiding/abetting her brother and assisting him in staying here.
Way to go! Keep it up!
magadala

Seattle, WA

#97 Feb 26, 2012
Bazinga wrote:
<quoted text> The apple never fall far from the tree. Do tou know what Fair, numberusa, cis, and several other of this anti immigrants organizations have in comun? All of them were founded by John Tanton. Search who is Tanton? An open white supremacist linked to the eugnistic movement, to the American nazi organization, who have says "immigrants (legal or not, hispanics or chinese) are like bacteria". There are many ways to feel and express hate, not only words. Since you mention ESL classes, i am going to tell you something, don't blame the students, blame the system. My 10 years old daughter, perfectly bilingual, straight A's srudent, and in the advance level in the Star State test, every year is put in the ESL classes, and every year i have to go to the school and sign a waiver that i don't want her in this class, do you know why? Because the school receive extra money for every student enrolled in ESL classes.
Dazzle and enlighten us all, give us your references for clear and unbiased reporting on illegal aliens in America. You would be doing a great service to America! Awaken us! List them! Let us know your sources for your unbiased opinions...quick!

#98 Feb 26, 2012
Bazinga wrote:
<quoted text> The apple never fall far from the tree. Do tou know what Fair, numberusa, cis, and several other of this anti immigrants organizations have in comun? All of them were founded by John Tanton. Search who is Tanton? An open white supremacist linked to the eugnistic movement, to the American nazi organization, who have says "immigrants (legal or not, hispanics or chinese) are like bacteria". There are many ways to feel and express hate, not only words. Since you mention ESL classes, i am going to tell you something, don't blame the students, blame the system. My 10 years old daughter, perfectly bilingual, straight A's srudent, and in the advance level in the Star State test, every year is put in the ESL classes, and every year i have to go to the school and sign a waiver that i don't want her in this class, do you know why? Because the school receive extra money for every student enrolled in ESL classes.
If her English is as good as yours, she needs further ESL classes.

Since: Apr 10

Houston, TX

#99 Feb 26, 2012
Illegal aliens on edge? They can always go home.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#100 Feb 27, 2012
Now that another southern state is taking this issue to heart, they are really going to be on edge, as well they should be. It is only going to get tougher to steal from taxpayers and the working poor, so they may as well throw in the towel and leave...hint, hint.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Alabama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Donald Trump, as president-elect, returns to Mo... Dec '16 SadTrumpSupporters 1
News Alabama faculty member studying "rainbow family... Dec '16 Prosperity Fundie... 1
News Union sues Satsuma mayor and his company (Jun '11) Nov '16 Jumpstart 33
News Is the first person to live to be 150 already a... (Jul '16) Nov '16 Dateless LAVAL Po... 2
News University of Oklahoma fraternity has history o... (Mar '15) Oct '16 kosher nostra 10
News Researchers uncover a new mechanistic understan... Oct '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Acute COPD exacerbations linked to long-term de... Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 1
More from around the web