Generals "Come Out" in calling for the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell

Nov 18, 2008 Full story: lezgetreal.com 159

Yesterday, more than 100 retired generals and admirals called for repeal of the US Military "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays so they can serve openly.

And I am proud to say my father, a retired US Air Force General, was one of them as he joined retired four-star Admiral and two-time superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy Adm. Charles Larson, in signing this statement.

Read more and see the Video Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“Haters Need 2 Shut the F-K Up!”

Since: Aug 07

Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA

#1 Nov 18, 2008
Times are changing and this time, there may be little resistance, especially since so many military personnel are against the ban.
DISGUSTED AMERICAN

Cranbury, NJ

#2 Nov 18, 2008
Again..while I commend ALL military service members whether straight or Gay who are IN the military now...in my opinion, NO gay person should JOIN/or FIGHT for this country UNTIL ALL LGBT Americans are Treated Equally,period! Why risk your Life for a country that Treats you as a 2nd class citizen?

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#3 Nov 18, 2008
Smart people....maybe the rest will catch on. They have no agenda other than to tell the truth.

Since: Nov 08

Kansas City, MO

#5 Nov 18, 2008
I left the military many years ago after achieving the rank of Major. i left because I could no long agree with this nation's policies.

I like so many were prepared to ro did give our lives for this country. It is a shame we had to serve with out the right to be ourselves.

I know President Obama can and should repeal this policy with an executive order. It should be on of the first documents he signs.

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

#6 Nov 18, 2008
I was in the military years before the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy was implemented. Back then, you basically had to be caught in the act (in flagrante delicto!) to be kicked out for being gay.

At least one young individual at our rally Saturday is an active servicemenber, and I was so proud of him, considering what he was risking to be there.

There's a great bit of dialogue from the TV show "The West Wing" in which Admiral Fitzwallace comments during a discussion between Pentagon Officials and the white House Deputy chief of staff, which I think says it all:

Major Tate: Sir, we're not prejudiced toward homosexuals.

Fitzwallace: You just don't want to see them serving in the Armed Forces?

Major Tate: No sir, I don't.

Fitzwallace:'Cause they pose a threat to unit discipline and cohesion.

Major Tate: Yes, sir.

Fitzwallace: That's what I think, too. I also think the military wasn't designed to be an instrument of social change.

Major Tate: Yes, sir.

Fitzwallace: The problem with that is that what they were saying to me 50 years ago. Blacks shouldn't serve with whites. It would disrupt the unit. You know what? It did disrupt the unit. The unit got over it. The unit changed. I'm an admiral in the U.S. Navy and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff... Beat that with a stick.

(Aaron Sorkin has an amazing ability to write concise dialogue that cuts right to the heart of things!)

Meanwhile, if you're interested in reading what former Senator Barry Goldwater had to say about gays in the military, check out this link:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/sco...
DISGUSTED AMERICAN

Cranbury, NJ

#7 Nov 18, 2008
CharlieChatBox wrote:
Stop the Obama Constitutional Crisis
Sign the Petition : 104,454 Letters and Emails Sent So Far
http://www.rallycongress.com/constitutional-q...
Call for Barack to Stand Up or Step Down! Mr. Obama has refused or is unable to demonstrate any documentation proving his actual place of birth.
[US Constitution Article II Section 1 - No person except a natural born Citizen.....shall be eligible to the Office of President.]
Law Suits in progress now:
Philip J. Berg, Esquire @ www.obamacrimes.com Pennsylvania
Steve Marquis @ http://peoplespassions.org/
Leo Donofrio / New Jersey
Bryan T. Terry Sr./ Georgia
Lt. Col. Donald Sullivan / North Carolinia
Andy martin / Hawaii
Alan Keyes / California
*Don't just sign the Petition, inform Citizens!
Are the American Citizens deliberately being kept in the dark on this issue?
Full-page ad appeared today in the Washington Times National Weekly, thank you Mr. Berg!
Was Barack Obama Born in Kenya? Is He Really a Citizen of Indonesia? Does the Constitution still Matter?
put your Kool-aid down, and step away.....its old...give it a rest....and where were you when Bush was committing/and sgtill is committing crimes left and right against Americans/foreigners/and our Constitution?
Paulathesurfmom

Mason, OH

#8 Nov 18, 2008
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
Smart people....maybe the rest will catch on. They have no agenda other than to tell the truth.
My dad is as hard core as they come... hell he has a picture of Curtis LeMay on his desk next to those of his children and grandchildren...

He told me the other day... "You know Paula when you first officially came out i was very upset... but i have seen you and Debbie(my partner) and I know you two are no different then anyone else... all you want to do is the best you can for your family and you do a very good job of taking care of my grand babies.... how can i be down on this?

I have a straight sister and the other day we were having dinner with some of dads work buds when this topic came up and he said this...

"You know I have a straight daughter too... and you know what? As a father, I really don't want to know too many details of her sex life either. That is just way more info then I care to have as a dad."
Prop 8 Forever

United States

#9 Nov 18, 2008
First of all all of you so called pro gay people ask yourself. If your int he military, many times you must take showers with other people and would you want someone who is openly gays taking a shower next to you? The average man or women is going to think that person is "Looking and thinking" about what they would want to do with them in the same regard as if a man what able to take showers with the females. Many females wouldnt want him to but some would. Dont ask dont tell works becasue why announce your gay in the first place? Why is it so big for gays to tell everyone their gay? I thouight that was their business. Disregard what the media and those clueless generals say becasue their looking from a view of getting more people into the military but for the average man in the military it is still a big deal. They dont want to take showeres with someone they know who is openly gay.
Connie Clear

Rancho Cordova, CA

#10 Nov 18, 2008
SouthJerseySteve wrote:
Times are changing and this time, there may be little resistance, especially since so many military personnel are against the ban.

That was the thinking that resulted in a YES vote on Prop 8. We cannot remain relaxed. We must make our voices heard loudly and clearly.

We played the blame game -- It was the Blacks. It was the Latinos -- Truth is it was us. We didn't make our voices heard loudly enough. We must not make that mistake again. Get out and join the protests.
Ralph

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Nov 18, 2008
ScottyMatic wrote:
Meanwhile, if you're interested in reading what former Senator Barry Goldwater had to say about gays in the military, check out this link:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/sco...
I have been castigated for years for my support of Barry Goldwater back in the day. The campaign ad with the little girl holding a flower, with a mushroom cloud in the background, was a bit over the top. I think that did mountains of harm, and was an over-riding reason for his loss. I have admired him for years and I wish the Republican Party would rid itself of the religious-right who has taken it over. Barry would not have approved of the election tatics in 2000, 2004, and 2008 as perpetrated by them.
Connie Clear

Rancho Cordova, CA

#12 Nov 18, 2008
Prop 8 Forever wrote:
*snipped* The average man or women is going to think that person is "Looking and thinking" about what they would want to do with them in the same regard as if a man what able to take showers with the females. Many females wouldnt want him to but some would.*snipped*.

"The average man or woman" needs to get educated. A straight person doesn't "turn on" a gay person.
John

Ottawa, Canada

#13 Nov 18, 2008
Good for your dad -- I am sure you are very proud of him.

I think this barrier will fall fairly soon. It's much less controversial than same-sex marriage and from a practical standpoint, it prevents the US from ever re-implementing a military draft, as everyone could technically be excused just by saying they were gay. Given Abu Ghraib and the low quality trash the military is stuck recruiting nowadays, I am sure selective service is always on the back of its mind. And even for recruitment, gays at 2 to 10 percent of the population supply a pool it can no longer afford to miss.
Prop 8 Forever

United States

#14 Nov 18, 2008
Now i cant even believe you wrote that. You know what turns a person on is the body. A man will be turned on to a women regardless if shes gay or not as long as she has a nice body and gay men are the same way. From what you wrote a gay man would say "i dont think hes attractive becasue he isnt gay" Gay people are the ones needing educated. There are way more hetros than gays so you guys are the ones out of touch. The average Gay man will look at other men in the shower. Not to their face or anything to start trouble but would be sneaky about it in the same way a strait man would be if he could take showeres with women. Hell if they get rid of dont ask dont tell i think they should allow all ex-felons to join the military as well if they want to. after all they paid their debt to society right?
flyboy

Glen Allen, VA

#15 Nov 18, 2008
Prop 8 Forever wrote:
First of all all of you so called pro gay people ask yourself. If your int he military, many times you must take showers with other people and would you want someone who is openly gays taking a shower next to you? The average man or women is going to think that person is "Looking and thinking" about what they would want to do with them in the same regard as if a man what able to take showers with the females. Many females wouldnt want him to but some would. Dont ask dont tell works becasue why announce your gay in the first place? Why is it so big for gays to tell everyone their gay? I thouight that was their business. Disregard what the media and those clueless generals say becasue their looking from a view of getting more people into the military but for the average man in the military it is still a big deal. They dont want to take showeres with someone they know who is openly gay.
Heterosexuals can ive to be themselves openly and gays should be eable to do so aswell. As far as your example of what would happen with openly gay soldiers, the only reason you would be worried about a soldier having sex with you is if you totally obssesed with homosexuality, likely making you a closet case.
Paulathesurfmom

Mason, OH

#16 Nov 18, 2008
Prop 8 Forever wrote:
Now i cant even believe you wrote that. You know what turns a person on is the body. A man will be turned on to a women regardless if shes gay or not as long as she has a nice body and gay men are the same way. From what you wrote a gay man would say "i dont think hes attractive becasue he isnt gay" Gay people are the ones needing educated. There are way more hetros than gays so you guys are the ones out of touch. The average Gay man will look at other men in the shower. Not to their face or anything to start trouble but would be sneaky about it in the same way a strait man would be if he could take showeres with women. Hell if they get rid of dont ask dont tell i think they should allow all ex-felons to join the military as well if they want to. after all they paid their debt to society right?
Are you getting this... you took your shot you won in Cali... for now... but now you will have to try to defeat this issue not just in Cali but in Indiana too... You woke up a sleeping giant... people know the right thing to do and they are doing it now.

“Not now, not 2012, not EVER!”

Since: Sep 08

Jasper, AL

#17 Nov 18, 2008
Prop 8 Forever wrote:
Your logic is flawed. If don't ask don't tell stays in effect, gays are still there and they are still "looking" according to your argument. What difference does it make?

I have taken showers before with straight men at the gym (or I assumed they were all straight). Sure... a lot of them were very physically attractive. But they were straight... basically a waste of time for me to give them more than a glance. It would basically be the same thing for me if I was in the military only worse because you run the risk of a bunch of them beating you up because you were "looking".

Personally, I'd never join the military. I think the risk of gays being killed by "friendly fire" is too high. There are legions of honorable people serving their country in the military. But a lot of nutjobs are there too...many of whom would have no qualms about killing a fellow soldier because they are gay. It has happened.

“Equality under the law for All”

Since: Jun 08

Fontana, CA

#18 Nov 18, 2008
I think this should be all that's needed to repeal DADT and yet there will be those in our government and our armed services that will fight it tooth and nail just as they did with blacks and women joining up to fight for our country.

Virginia Rae

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#19 Nov 18, 2008
Prop 8 Forever wrote:
I grew up in the military... so i have a special insight how this will happen...

First if you can get my dad to sign on to this... you have more support from the higher ups then you can ever believe... hey is a traditionalist... gay daughter notwithstanding...

Adm. Mullens... Chairman of the JCS has already said... tell me to do this and we will make it happen...

Guess what all it takes now is the word... and it is done.
persona non grata

Ozark, AL

#20 Nov 18, 2008
Prop 8 Forever wrote:
Don't flatter yourself. It sounds like you never got past the "show me yours & I'll show you mine" juvenile mindset. When I was in, the only thing I was looking at was to make sure I got all the soap off of me. We never had time to gawk at anyone else, even if we might have thought about it.
And you'd want felons in the military? The guys that always have "soap on a rope"?
Corkedbottle

Jupiter, FL

#21 Nov 18, 2008
Homosexuality is a perversion of God's creation and grand plan. Procreation, man and woman. The color of our skin is not. Women serving is not, although please do go to combat arms, it hurts us males too much to see you get hurt. Homosexuals are fine in the military but I don't even want to know about it. DADT isn't strong enough, KYMS "keep your mouth shut" and do your job and that's cool. Thinking your special and having the right to speak openly about it dictates you are different and should be treated as such. So don't get angry at us breeders when we stand by the Lords grand design against you. I don't care if your gay, just KYMS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Naval Academy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lexi Place Crowned Miss Greene County Jul '14 Teacher 1
Bill Clinton discusses privacy, national security (Apr '14) Apr '14 Sea Fool 1
Woman in Naval Academy sex assault case testifies (Mar '14) Mar '14 Female Soldier 1
South Africa leader under scrutiny over home cost (Mar '14) Mar '14 shykora paul ARTs 1
Former President Carter to Speak at Bainbridge ... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Disagree 7
Spirit of MLK Lives On in These Local Award Win... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Zombie Corpse Rental 1
High schoolers learn about military service aca... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Roddy 3
More from around the web