Gay Marine's husband surprised at res...

Gay Marine's husband surprised at respect shown by Naval Academy

There are 113 comments on the Chicago Sun-Times story from Jan 30, 2011, titled Gay Marine's husband surprised at respect shown by Naval Academy. In it, Chicago Sun-Times reports that:

Mark Ketterson in his Albany Park home. John H. White~Sun-Times John Fliszar had a heart attack in 2006 and was rushed to Illinois Masonic Medical Center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Sun-Times.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“I am happy”

Since: Jul 08

St. Petersburg, FL

#1 Jan 30, 2011
I encountered something similar for my husband. He served in the Navy from 1977-1980 went to the Naval Academy in the San Francisco Bay area. When he passed away, I contacted them about the military funeral arrangements, sent them a copy of our California marriage license, and submitted a death certificate declaring that I was his next of kin.

The level of respect that I was treated with was extremely surprising. They were in constant contact with me to make sure that everything was in order and if I should need anything at all then let them know.

They made sure that his and my wishes were honored and treated us both with the highest level of respect. They treated me like I was a grieving spouse and I was grieving. It is bad enough to deal with the death and a lot of the aftermath, but it is quite different if bigotry plays a role in something like this. The Naval Academy in San Francisco made sure that was something that did not happen.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#2 Jan 30, 2011
People respect marriage even if they don't agree with the reasons people marry. That's why the word is so important. No other word connotes the same level of commitment and unity.
Tanya

Roy, WA

#3 Jan 30, 2011
It's nice the navy was good to the gay man's boyfriend. They had to be though otherwise gays cry and get a lawyer lol.

Since: Dec 10

San Diego, CA

#4 Jan 30, 2011
Tanya wrote:
It's nice the navy was good to the gay man's boyfriend. They had to be though otherwise gays cry and get a lawyer lol.
Whatever their reason for treating him well, I am happy that some respect was shown to a grieving survivor. It's hard enough to face the death of someone you love without having to face the bigotry and hatred of those who disagree with you.

If they had not shown respect, they would have been no better than the crazies picketing at the funerals.
RJP

Jeffersonville, OH

#5 Jan 30, 2011
Tanya wrote:
Oh Tanya, you really shouldn't be near a keyboard when your IQ so closely matches your bra size.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#6 Jan 30, 2011
Wonderful article and my heart felt condolences go out to this man.

When I lost my partner in 2002, we weren't married because it wasn't legal or recognized, but the funeral home who handled the arrangements was absolutely wonderful and listed me on her death certificate as "Life Partner", which was acceptable to me because it imply something more important than just a friend.

She had done some Merchant Marine serve in her young days and I got her flag, which is in a nice case.

Grieving is already a difficult time, but it is good to see that the Naval Academy made this process a little easier for this man!

Since: Dec 08

San Francisco, CA

#7 Jan 30, 2011
Tanya wrote:
Tanya is a GREAT Russian Name. But every Tanya I've met in the US (so far) tends to be a white trash hoe with a trailer park in her not too distant future.

What's up with that? And I'm not just referring to Tanya Harding, although she is one fine example of what I'm saying.

PS: It's not the gay man's boyfriend, it was the MAN'S HUSBAND!

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#8 Jan 30, 2011
TolkMax wrote:
<quoted text>
Tanya is a GREAT Russian Name. But every Tanya I've met in the US (so far) tends to be a white trash hoe with a trailer park in her not too distant future.
What's up with that? And I'm not just referring to Tanya Harding, although she is one fine example of what I'm saying.
PS: It's not the gay man's boyfriend, it was the MAN'S HUSBAND!
Tanya is the same male troll that does cyber drag and posts as "Peaches". Same recognizable grammar errors.

TomInElPaso

“Impeach the reality show actor”

Seminole, FL

#10 Jan 30, 2011
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "husband" died from AIDS huh? You'll get to meet him in hell soon enough!
Seems you already have a P O Box in Hell. Well deserved, Sicko.

No doubt you call yourself Christian. May your soul continue to rot for the rest of your days and for generations of your kin to come.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#11 Jan 30, 2011
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously an ignorant tool like you did not even read the article, as usual. You dolts read the headline and then make up the story to match your own silly agenda.

He was a veteran who served the country to protect the likes of YOU, and YOUR freedoms, you fat assed Cheeto eating white trash. What have YOU done for the country, except make Frito Lay rich and successful on your purchases alone?

You are not fit to wipe this brave man's boots.

And, TOOL, he died of a heart attack, not AIDS, as if that makes a difference. Idiot.

“I am happy”

St. Petersburg, FL

#12 Jan 30, 2011
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems you already have a P O Box in Hell. Well deserved, Sicko.
No doubt you call yourself Christian. May your soul continue to rot for the rest of your days and for generations of your kin to come.
Just ignore it, I normally do.

TomInElPaso

“Impeach the reality show actor”

Seminole, FL

#13 Jan 30, 2011
StevenFL wrote:
<quoted text>
Just ignore it, I normally do.
I know but it felt good.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14 Jan 30, 2011
This bodes well for the future.

“religion is corrupt-able”

Since: Jul 07

Bloomington, IN

#15 Jan 30, 2011
Tanya wrote:
reread you illiterate twaz! NOT boyfriend! HUSBAND!

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#17 Jan 30, 2011
How do you know the person on the other end of the line wasn't also gay?
Hetero Hank wrote:
<quoted text>What they didn't tell you was they were laughing their ass off about your queer "marriage" after they hung up the phone.
LMAO

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#18 Jan 30, 2011
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
&fe ature=related

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#19 Jan 30, 2011
SFer wrote:
How do you know the person on the other end of the line wasn't also gay?
<quoted text>
good point

“I am happy”

St. Petersburg, FL

#20 Jan 30, 2011
Hetero Hank wrote:
<quoted text>What they didn't tell you was they were laughing their ass off about your queer "marriage" after they hung up the phone.
LMAO
Your reading knowledge leaves a lot to be desired. I think I made it clear that I was treated with respect. Sorry your bitter existence as a troll can not see pass that. Now skuttle off and harass the more weak minded because I have little time or tolerance for you.
Cherry Burger

Bangs, TX

#21 Jan 30, 2011

I like this....song. I've just NEVER understood the TITLE..........LOL.

Maybe one day someone will explain it...

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#22 Jan 30, 2011
Hetero Hank wrote:
LMAO
Not as much as they would laugh at someone from Little COCK, Ark.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Naval Academy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. service members, gay rights groups ask jud... Sep '17 Trump is a joke 18
News 2 Naval Academy buildings named for Confederate... Aug '17 Anita Bryant s Jihad 1
News August eclipse shines a light on the past Aug '17 Lolz 17
News Baylor Football Covered Up Rape, Trump and Bern... (May '16) May '16 Cali Dad 3
News Biden urges Navy students to lead fight against... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Black Annie 1
News Good Morning (Oct '15) Oct '15 Morning farts 2
News These Maryland and Virginia schools may lead to... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Great 1
More from around the web