PROMISES, PROMISES: For blacks, Coast Guard Academy numbers lag despite decades of effort

Sep 8, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KSWB-TV San Diego

At his inaugural parade a half-century ago, President John F. Kennedy watched the U.S. Coast Guard Academy's marching unit pass him on Pennsylvania Avenue and declared it unacceptable.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18

Since: Aug 10

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

You need to be a confident swimmer to desire service in the Coast Guard. The numbers are self-explanatory.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

"The problem is so vexing and so long-standing that the Coast Guard last year spent $40,000 buying lists of names of blacks and others to recruit as cadets. It didn't pay off, and Congress is wrestling with whether it should change how cadets are selected to attend the academy, located along the Thames River in New London, Conn."

Here we go again. Affirmative Action programs need to be implemented because blacks do not want to join the Coast Guard.

This is of great comfort to me as a boater.

The only way to improve the numbers would be to draft them...and that would not be wise as Coasties sometimes must enter and work in the shark filled ocean.

I wonder how long it will be until folks start calling skydiving racist. lol
Roofis wit da gold toofis

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

We need to have a Coast Guard just for Blaaaaaaaacks in Indiana.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Roofis wit da gold toofis wrote:
We need to have a Coast Guard just for Blaaaaaaaacks in Indiana.
LMFAO!!!

It is funny that they are not posting in this topic claiming some sort of racism.
justhefacts

Bellmawr, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Dr-Zaius wrote:
"I wonder how long it will be until folks start calling skydiving racist. lol
Thats a keeper!!!huhhhhhh
Boogie Beater

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Is Colt 45 served in the Coast Guard mess halls?

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

Why are the black people ignoring this blatant case of racism by the Coast Guard???

They are denying black people the chance to go out in the ocean.

I demand Jessie Jackson and the rest of the NAACP march into the ocean to protest!!!

Pretty much calls into question the myth that they were great nautical peoples before the white man took them from the African Continent, eh?

Some behaviors are in fact evolutionary in nature and can be extremely difficult to overcome.
Cosmical idiots

Madrid, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

I can supply a list ob black names for much less. here some to start them off -
LeShawn
le Roy
La Teenaquisha
LaTreene
LaTampaxaquisha
LaMaxipaddita
LeMugger
Jailbirdo
Prisoner

also, who wants coastguards who don't swim? next they will be wanting lifesaver jobs!

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

Cosmical idiots wrote:
I can supply a list ob black names for much less. here some to start them off -
LeShawn
le Roy
La Teenaquisha
LaTreene
LaTampaxaquisha
LaMaxipaddita
LeMugger
Jailbirdo
Prisoner
also, who wants coastguards who don't swim? next they will be wanting lifesaver jobs!
Can you imagine seeing them with their little floaties around their arms.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

Judged:

Roofis wit da gold toofis wrote:
<quoted text> Can you imagine seeing them with their little floaties around their arms.
You would think the beach and ocean is racist the way the black people avoid them. Odd that peoples 'immune' to the sun prefer to sit in little tiny houses with no AC instead of taking to the water like whites do.

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

Dr-Zaius wrote:
<quoted text>
You would think the beach and ocean is racist the way the black people avoid them. Odd that peoples 'immune' to the sun prefer to sit in little tiny houses with no AC instead of taking to the water like whites do.
You would think they would want to go and see all the White womenz in bikinis.
MDB

Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2011

it is not about being black or white anymore -- Are you QUALIFIED for the Academy? should be the only question not your skin color or race. I for one, as a white female, am sick and tired of the race card being played out in every scenario. Did anyone ever look at how many actual apply to the Academy and how many are admitted, I bet the ratio is the same as any other race. WE NEED TO STOP LOOKING at race or color as a factor. My daughter was told by a Navy recruit that if she had some other ethnicity in her background (native american, mexican, etc...) she would have an "easier time" gettiing a schlarship, even though she may not be as qualified as the american white--What is wrong with that scenario? It seems that our American Caucasian should not claiming discrimnation. Fed up with the whole race card already. Eough!!!!!
MDB

Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2011

OOps--"our american caucasian should be claiming discrimination now"
MDB

Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2011

it is not about being black or white anymore -- Are you QUALIFIED for the Academy? should be the only question not your skin color or race. I for one, as a white female, am sick and tired of the race card being played out in every scenario. Did anyone ever look at how many actual apply to the Academy and how many are admitted, I bet the ratio is the same as any other race. WE NEED TO STOP LOOKING at race or color as a factor. My daughter was told by a Navy recruit that if she had some other ethnicity in her background (native american, mexican, etc...) she would have an "easier time" gettiing a schlarship, even though she may not be as qualified as the american white--What is wrong with that scenario? It seems that our American Caucasian should claiming discrimnation. Fed up with the whole race card already. Eough!!!!!
CMD

Meridian, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

I think we are avoiding the fact here. The Academy is not advertising itself to the black community. There are more than enough qualified black people to make the Academy reach its 30% goal, the problem is that not enough of the qualified African Americans know about the program. Look at the Naval Academy, West Point, and the Air Force. They don't seem to be having any problems and doubt they have had to settle for potentially dangerous (unqualified) applicants. Plus, that is what the prep program is for. You may not have seen it happen but in black communities, such as where I am from, many white people are given jobs under affirmative action. The law protects minorities, minorities are relative to the environment. As hard as it is for me to not respond to some of the nasty stuff previously written, I could probably never change your ideas or ignorance about the African American culture, but I promise you were are not all dumb with retarded names.
Klaus

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Blacks are worthless subhumans, that's why it is o funny to listen to the talk of "level playing fields". Of course, what they really desire is that no standards be applied to them while the hold out their filthy grubbing monkey paws for affirmative action handouts and handups. The only thing we Whites owe to these animals are bullets in their skulls.

Since: Feb 12

Mystic, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2012

CMD wrote:
I think we are avoiding the fact here. The Academy is not advertising itself to the black community. There are more than enough qualified black people to make the Academy reach its 30% goal, the problem is that not enough of the qualified African Americans know about the program. Look at the Naval Academy, West Point, and the Air Force. They don't seem to be having any problems and doubt they have had to settle for potentially dangerous (unqualified) applicants. Plus, that is what the prep program is for. You may not have seen it happen but in black communities, such as where I am from, many white people are given jobs under affirmative action. The law protects minorities, minorities are relative to the environment. As hard as it is for me to not respond to some of the nasty stuff previously written, I could probably never change your ideas or ignorance about the African American culture, but I promise you were are not all dumb with retarded names.
Affirmative action is an anachronism.
When someone is not accepted into an academy or university even though their scores and merits are higher than another person, and that other person is accepted because of the color of their skin is a perfect example of injustice.
You set the person who was accepted up for failure and you breed resentment in the person who was denied.
cil

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2012

blacks always bitchin about rights but yet they dont think the disabled deserve the same rights...get over it you have to swim to be in the coast guard...MLK said I have a dream that all people are created equal not just BLACKS.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent United States Coast Guard Academy Discussions

Search the United States Coast Guard Academy Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Gay pride groups appear at U.S. military academies (Apr '12) Apr '12 Nyak760 1
Gay Pride Groups Appear At US Military Academies (Mar '12) Apr '12 Mitt s Polygamous Gramps 5
Coast Guard Academy to honor first black grad (Mar '12) Mar '12 ajjh 1
Military academies hold first gay pride events (Mar '12) Mar '12 Rainbow Kid 2
Girls basketball: Gurtler commits to more than ... (Apr '11) Apr '11 domaindirectory11 1
PROMISES, PROMISES: Few black Coast Guard cadets (Sep '10) Sep '10 CONSERVATIVE 1
CGA probe leads to discipline of dozens (Oct '09) Oct '09 secret 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••