700 Clergy and Lay Leaders Call on NY Senate to Pass Marriage Bill

Nov 10, 2009 | Posted by: Selecia Jones- JAX FL | Full story: www.towleroad.com

The Empire State Pride Agenda today released a list of 700 clergy and lay leaders from across New York state who are in support of the legislature passing a marriage equality bill.

Comments
861 - 879 of 879 Comments Last updated Dec 15, 2009
First Prev
of 44
Next Last

“"Strange Fruit" indeed.”

Since: Nov 09

Northern Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

Judged:

Connie Clear wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true. But why is that? Why is being Gay such a fearful thing?
We have all been angry at some point that we thought about killing someone or even said it in a laughing way. Why does that not freak people out and make them think that they are murders?
Every married man has looked at a really attractive woman and thought how good it might be. Why do they not freak out at the thought of becoming an adulterer?
My question exactly. The intensity of reactions seems really disproportionate to the actuality of it. Men are teased a lot growing up; don't be a sissy, be tough, dude, that's so gay, etc. So I think early on it's very emasculating. I just don't know, and can't get an honest answer from any of them. I wish I could hypnotize them to find out their deeper fears.
Connie Clear

Carmichael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

Judged:

GayJim wrote:
<quoted text>
My question exactly. The intensity of reactions seems really disproportionate to the actuality of it. Men are teased a lot growing up; don't be a sissy, be tough, dude, that's so gay, etc. So I think early on it's very emasculating. I just don't know, and can't get an honest answer from any of them. I wish I could hypnotize them to find out their deeper fears.
I can understand the gross mistranslations in the NIV. They wanted a Bible that would make their Ex-Gay programs more profitable.

Is that the esculation of verbal hostilities? In Uganda they have passed a law to kill homosexuals. Those supporting the bill used Ex-Gay materials as proof that homosexuals were choosing to be Gay.

My understanding is that Ex-Gay got involved in trying to get them to force Gays to undergo Ex-Gay therapy.(That would have been profitable, wouldn't it?) What they succeeded in doing was passing a death sentence on so many, "just for the color of their hair."

“Peace Be With You.”

Love2All-Bye,Bye

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

Connie Clear wrote:
<quoted text>
I can understand the gross mistranslations in the NIV. They wanted a Bible that would make their Ex-Gay programs more profitable.
Is that the esculation of verbal hostilities? In Uganda they have passed a law to kill homosexuals. Those supporting the bill used Ex-Gay materials as proof that homosexuals were choosing to be Gay.
My understanding is that Ex-Gay got involved in trying to get them to force Gays to undergo Ex-Gay therapy.(That would have been profitable, wouldn't it?) What they succeeded in doing was passing a death sentence on so many, "just for the color of their hair."
imho
NIV = Non-Inspired-Version...
Connie Clear

Carmichael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2009

peep

peep, peep

“Peace Be With You.”

Love2All-Bye,Bye

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2009

the end...

all things pass, only God remains...

:)
Connie Clear

Carmichael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2009

Judged:

In Mark 5 there is a story that I see as an affirmation of the Gay Community.

Some of you will understand what I am saying but some of you will never understand. As Jesus so often said, "Let those who can recieve this, recieve it."
Mark 5 (New King James Version)
1 Then they came to the other side of the sea, to the country of the Gadarenes. 2 And when He had come out of the boat, immediately there met Him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, 3 who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no one could bind him, not even with chains, 4 because he had often been bound with shackles and chains. And the chains had been pulled apart by him, and the shackles broken in pieces; neither could anyone tame him.
Germany attempted to exterminate Gays -- made them wear pink triangles and gassed many. They died as Gays. In this country Gays were imprisoned, forced to undergo electric shock treatments, to undergo intensive self-hate therapy, and treated in other horiffic ways. They were still Gay.
5 And always, night and day, he was in the mountains and in the tombs, crying out and cutting himself with stones.
The discrimination we have been subjected to has caused us to cry out and internalize the discrimination into self hatred.
6 When he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and worshiped Him. 7 And he cried out with a loud voice and said,“What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore You by God that You do not torment me.”

Haven't we all? "What have I to do with You, Jesus? Everyone says you want nothing to do with me. I see them saying it on TV. I read it on Topix. Why do you torment me?"
8 For He said to him,“Come out of the man, unclean spirit!” 9 Then He asked him,“What is your name?”
And he answered, saying,“My name is Legion; for we are many.”

There is no self-esteem, lack of self-respect, no self-love but lots of self-hatred, lack of self-integrity, self lothing ...
10 Also he begged Him earnestly that He would not send them out of the country.
11 Now a large herd of swine was feeding there near the mountains.... Then the unclean spirits went out and entered the swine (there were about two thousand); and the herd ran violently down the steep place into the sea, and drowned in the sea.
14 So those who fed the swine fled, and they told it in the city and in the country. And they went out to see what it was that had happened.
We don't know what Jesus told this man. Those recording the story ran away and did not hear. They would not listen.
15 Then they came to Jesus, and saw the one who had been demon-possessed and had the legion, sitting and clothed and in his right mind. And they were afraid. 16 And those who saw it told them how it happened to him who had been demon-possessed, and about the swine.
Whatever Jesus said gave the man his self-esteem, his sense of integrity, his sense of self worth.
17 Then they began to plead with Him to depart from their region.
Isn't that how it always is? Those who want to hate Gays simply cannot see how Jesus could love them. They will send Jesus away before they can accept that God loves Gays.

When a church becomes an affirming church, many members leave the church and search for another congregation that condemns Gays.
18 And when He got into the boat, he who had been demon-possessed begged Him that he might be with Him. 19 However, Jesus did not permit him, but said to him,“Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had compassion on you.” 20 And he departed and began to proclaim in Decapolis all that Jesus had done for him; and all marveled.

The Gay man wanted to go with Jesus but Jesus said, "No, go back and tell the other Gays. They can understand love in Jesus' ways."

“Peace Be With You.”

Love2All-Bye,Bye

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2009

Judged:

Dear Sweet Connie, i hope you are not confusing demon possession with being gay, although i do get your point... as well please don't play the hate card because people don't approve of what God has called sin, should i repeat my "i don't like peas" scenario...

i am glad your still posting hear as i felt the Lord wanting me to ask you a question, but to hold off until the S&G debate settled, so if i may ask you please let me know, thanks...

also, i don't approve of anyone bashing anyone for any reason... i used to be one of them, the Lord showed me it was wrong and i sought forgiveness and repented... i do feel your pain sister...
Connie Clear

Carmichael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2009

Judged:

Yeshua wrote:
Dear Sweet Connie, i hope you are not confusing demon possession with being gay, although i do get your point... as well please don't play the hate card because people don't approve of what God has called sin, should i repeat my "i don't like peas" scenario...
i am glad your still posting hear as i felt the Lord wanting me to ask you a question, but to hold off until the S&G debate settled, so if i may ask you please let me know, thanks...
also, i don't approve of anyone bashing anyone for any reason... i used to be one of them, the Lord showed me it was wrong and i sought forgiveness and repented... i do feel your pain sister...
No. The demon was not being Gay. The demons (Legion) were all of the affects on our psyche of all the oppression forced upon us. Too often we internalized all of that oppression and felt that we were less worthy of God's grace.

Question? Ask away.
Fitz

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2009

Connie Clear wrote:
<quoted text>
No. The demon was not being Gay. The demons (Legion) were all of the affects on our psyche of all the oppression forced upon us. Too often we internalized all of that oppression and felt that we were less worthy of God's grace.
Question? Ask away.

Yes - that you & only you see.... I could do this with any text I want and come up with anything I desire.

It's called an oppresor/oppresed dialectic and it is deeply embedded in you concious..

Strive to pull your self up and out of the fever swamps of MArxism Connie.
Connie Clear

Carmichael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2009

Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes - that you & only you see.... I could do this with any text I want and come up with anything I desire.
It's called an oppresor/oppresed dialectic and it is deeply embedded in you concious..
I'm out of the fever swamps. Why are you still acting so oppressively?

“Peace Be With You.”

Love2All-Bye,Bye

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Connie Clear wrote:
<quoted text>
Question? Ask away.
Thanks for the reply...

My question is, Why did God create mankind?
Please answer from a bibical perspective, not just by saying to love one another, but why did He put us on this earth He created...

“Peace Be With You.”

Love2All-Bye,Bye

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
brother, love em, don't smug em...
tia
George

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

Yeshua wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the reply...
Please answer from a bibical perspective, not just by saying to love one another, but why did He put us on this earth He created...
Why did God create us? God created us for His pleasure and so that we, as His creation, would have the pleasure of knowing Him.

“Indeed, I am!”

Since: Feb 09

As if it mattered . . .

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Yeshua wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the reply...
I think God created us because God was bored. The human race is so darn entertaining!

“"Strange Fruit" indeed.”

Northern Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Yeshua wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the reply...
I don't think he did. Humans are so unatural and just don't fit into the scheme. Maybe they started out okay, but something happened, like some alien presence that fed off of them and turned them into parasites. Maybe the devil spit into the cauldron when God was stirring up the recipe.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

GayJim wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think he did. Humans are so unatural and just don't fit into the scheme. Maybe they started out okay, but something happened, like some alien presence that fed off of them and turned them into parasites. Maybe the devil spit into the cauldron when God was stirring up the recipe.
"Maybe the devil spit into the cauldron when God was stirring up the recipe. "

you are on the right path, he did it after the finished product and not in the recipe.
Connie Clear

Carmichael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Yeshua wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the reply...
Golly, Gee! If I knew the answer to that question ...

I don't know why we are here. I don't know why I was born in this country. I don't know why I had the parents that I was lucky enough to have. I don't know why I am me. I don't know any of those answers.

I do know that I am here. I did not consciously choose to be here. The only choice that I have is to live the best life that I can live. I can be as honest as I can with everyone I deal with. I can do an honest day's work and use the money I am given wisely. I can choose to build people up instead of hurt them and oppress them.

I'm thinking here of Luke 3. I'll comment on that in another post when I have more time.

“Peace Be With You.”

Love2All-Bye,Bye

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2009

Connie Clear wrote:
<quoted text>
Golly, Gee! If I knew the answer to that question ...
I don't know why we are here. I don't know why I was born in this country. I don't know why I had the parents that I was lucky enough to have. I don't know why I am me. I don't know any of those answers.
I do know that I am here. I did not consciously choose to be here. The only choice that I have is to live the best life that I can live. I can be as honest as I can with everyone I deal with. I can do an honest day's work and use the money I am given wisely. I can choose to build people up instead of hurt them and oppress them.
I'm thinking here of Luke 3. I'll comment on that in another post when I have more time.
Well then let me tell you why... as a baby Christian, many years ago, i wonder why so i set out to find the answer in Gods word... i searched and searched and searched... awe, then i found it, it was right there in Isaiah... it tells us we're created for His Glory... so now what, what does that mean, we're created for His Glory, hum... do you care to take a guess at that?

Isaiah 43:7 (New King James Version)
7 Everyone who is called by My name,
Whom I have created for My glory;
I have formed him, yes, I have made him.”

And not to say that George was wrong in his reply, looking at this verse you can see he's right to, so what does that mean...

Philippians 2:13 (New King James Version)
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

So we're to give God Glory and we're here for His Pleasure, hum... how do we do that... Answers Please...
Connie Clear

Carmichael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2009

Judged:

Yeshua wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then let me tell you why... as a baby Christian, many years ago, i wonder why so i set out to find the answer in Gods word... i searched and searched and searched... awe, then i found it, it was right there in Isaiah... it tells us we're created for His Glory... so now what, what does that mean, we're created for His Glory, hum... do you care to take a guess at that?
Isaiah 43:7 (New King James Version)
7 Everyone who is called by My name,
Whom I have created for My glory;
I have formed him, yes, I have made him.”
And not to say that George was wrong in his reply, looking at this verse you can see he's right to, so what does that mean...
Philippians 2:13 (New King James Version)
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
So we're to give God Glory and we're here for His Pleasure, hum... how do we do that... Answers Please...
Now you are headed toward who is foreordained, predetermined to be "created for His Glory"?

God was speaking here through the Prophet Isaiah to the nation of Israel.

Same chapter next verses:
8 Bring out the blind people who have eyes,
And the deaf who have ears.
9 Let all the nations be gathered together,
And let the people be assembled.
Who among them can declare this,
And show us former things?
Let them bring out their witnesses, that they may be justified;
Or let them hear and say,“It is truth.”

Again, I don't know if I was foreordained, predetermined to be part of "His Glory." The only choice that I have is to live the best life that I can -- as near to the life of Jesus that I can -- and let the chips fall where they may.

If God can find Glory in that, so be it. If not, so be it. For me, I believe the life of Jesus is the best role model available.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 44
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Union Theological Seminary Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Retired reverend writes book on 'A New Way to b... (Sep '12) Jan '14 LAVON AFFAIR 6
Activist, author Cornel West to speak at UTEP B... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Kidding 2
Mike Connell: Look to the past to find the future (Mar '13) Mar '13 Jeff Fisher 4
Atlanta pastor often feels the challenge of Mar... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Tab 2
Prayer services precede inauguration (Jan '13) Jan '13 Lepor 8
Ohio seminary cancels lecture after phone calls (Sep '12) Sep '12 Pr Jonah 3
Should We Bring Heaven Down To Earth? (Apr '12) Apr '12 T McCabe 2

Search the Union Theological Seminary Forum:
•••