How Earthquakes Heal Themselves -- An...

How Earthquakes Heal Themselves -- And Why That's Important

There are 1 comment on the Time story from Jun 30, 2013, titled How Earthquakes Heal Themselves -- And Why That's Important. In it, Time reports that:

The site of a quake-triggered landslide at Weizhou town of Wenchuan county, in Sichuan province, on May 31, 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Time.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Jul 3, 2013
Known about this one for a long time.
The usual depth for rock healing (mineralisation) reactions is in the region of 10Km depth and below, via metamorphic fluids, which causes fault locking within a few months due to mineral precipitation from pore fluids into the lower pressure void space produced by fault slippage.

The minimum depth of mineralisation reactions vary according to the rock type. Limestone, and carbonate cemented sandstones may seal via carbonate precipitation up to the level of the nearest freshwater aquifer stagnation level, and occasionally above this level if dripstone formations in karst caverns are present in the aquifer catchment.

Nice to see a more recent publication.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UC Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Racially biased packages delivered at UCSC Oct 3 Positive Cruzer 1
News Ultra-deep radio telescope catches what Hubble ... Oct 2 Hubble Town 1
Occupy 2 Summoned-UCSC concerns and future alon... Jun '16 county moochers 3
News 12-Year-Old California Student Ready to Start U... May '16 Common Core 5
News Snooping Around the Shadow Societies of San Fra... (Feb '16) Feb '16 JANICE 1
News Friday Must Reads: 17,000 People Vie for Afford... (Feb '16) Feb '16 WooF 3
News Enrollment mandates force UCSC to raise funds a... (Feb '16) Feb '16 WooF 1
More from around the web