Upside of a downturn: Dropouts drop back in

Apr 22, 2009 | Posted by: Iria | Full story: www.msnbc.msn.com

In Elkhart and across the country, education leaders say they’re seeing what may be one bright spot in the dismal downturn: more students opting to stay in — or return to — school.
Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Apr 23, 2009
opinions

San Diego, CA

#1 Apr 22, 2009
If a person is unemployed or facing no job prospects, there are only two alternatives:

1) Join the military
2) Go back to school, get educated/training, get that diploma, certificate or degree to get an advantage over others.

The competition for getting a job is going to be tough. You will need all that ammunition in place.
Christopher

Edgewood, MD

#2 Apr 22, 2009
Education does not mean that you have 'ammunition'. Look at all the college GRADUATES who are having problems today!

Really, we have allowed too many jobs to be 'outsourced' from the United States, and need to pass laws to convince/coerce companies to move those jobs back to the United States.

“ Seal Of Democrat Party”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#3 Apr 23, 2009
Christopher wrote:
Education does not mean that you have 'ammunition'. Look at all the college GRADUATES who are having problems today!
Really, we have allowed too many jobs to be 'outsourced' from the United States, and need to pass laws to convince/coerce companies to move those jobs back to the United States.
I see you left out the Unions. How about their part in the reason why companies are outsourcing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UC Santa Barbara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Men like Elliot Rodger are not owed anyone or a... Aug 21 peer 42
Your Turn: Narrow focus to stop school shootings Aug 4 Here Is One 6
Isla Vista Self-Governance the Focus of Town Ha... Aug 2 Ban the Second Am... 2
The Supreme Court's Coming Paralysis Jul '14 WeTheSheeple 8
Russia accuses US of fueling Ukrainian crisis Jul '14 Dimitri100 54
Fairfield man wins Mr. USA United Nations pageant Jul '14 Uppercut 1
Hope fades in Congress for drama-free funding o... Jul '14 Cat74 15
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••