Saddleback Church Pastor Rick Warren admits cash problems

There are 105 comments on the www.instantriverside.com story from Jan 2, 2010, titled Saddleback Church Pastor Rick Warren admits cash problems. In it, www.instantriverside.com reports that:

Pastor Rick Warren delivers invocation for Obama inauguration: Click to watch file video.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.instantriverside.com.

Deng

China

#141 Jan 4, 2010
"God lost her printing press?
Wade Stance

Redmond, WA

#143 Jan 4, 2010
McMike wrote:
<quoted text>
While the Book might be total fiction, the world would be a much better place if the principles found in the Gospels were followed by people calling themselves "Christians" but you know religion is a farce when Atheists portray more Christ-like qualities than any self-proclaimed fundamentalist.
True!

However, the few Biblical gems are just common sense.

I do believe every verse and chapter in the Bible either passes inspection or it doesn't. It's just not logical to selectively follow certain passages and then toss other ones out the window.
Wade Stance

Redmond, WA

#144 Jan 5, 2010
McMike wrote:
<quoted text>k
God has always been "clear" on His word, eh? Then would you mind explaining how His "Word" keeps changing since less than a hundred years ago the offense found in Corinthians was listed as masturbation instead of homosexuality? While God's Word is hardly clear the only clear reason as to why this is is because men keep changing His word as they deem fit.
Everything you said is true.

Many years ago, I took a few religion courses in college. What really sticks out in my mind is the enormous internal dissention within the Catholic Church.

For centuries a bunch of old men, wearing sissy clothing, proclaim edict after edict.

The Council of 723 810, 856, 987, 1013, 1077, 1211, 1389, 1411,1430, 1599, 1601, 1603, 1611,1744.1759,1799, 1801, 1833, 1865, 1867, 1875, 1910, 1913, 1914, 1917, 1923, 1933,1939, 1944, 1951,1952, 1953,1961,1966 always tries to settle a huge controversy within the church.

Sometimes, they were successful and sometimes not. Martin Luther started his own "company." So did the "Eastern Orthodox Company."

And then the Catholic Church extended so much love to these new "companies."

One day you can't eat meat on Friday and then the next day you can. Crazy!

Man invented religion and they keep changing it.
Wade Stance

Redmond, WA

#145 Jan 5, 2010
What wrote:
<quoted text>
They spend that money on big buildings, expensive sound systems and camera equipment? Are you serious? All that in addition to their private JETS?(Jets-plural, as in KCM has 2). Oh, and a private airport too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Copeland
Don't forget hairspray, diamond rings, gold necklaces, big hair, hairspray, gold bracelets, clownish makeup, hairspray, Versace clothes, and hairspray. I guess that basically covers it for the men.

Since: Dec 09

Arnhem, Netherlands

#147 Jan 5, 2010
Saddleback church pastor rick warren saddleback church pastor rick warren, the American Idol who felt the Emersons allay around my block doing the hula-hula till morning

“Marriage=Love+Co mmitment.....”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#149 Jan 5, 2010
BEE33 wrote:
<quoted text>Sure seems like it, his/her posts got pulled. And the newbie's name is AWFULLY reminiscent of Hesed's tagline.
No, Hesed is still around, and this one's location is different. Hesed is in Lakeland FL.
Zoro

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#151 Jan 5, 2010
Brighton John wrote:
What's really news is the fact that "pastors", priests and ministers are turning down a potential source of additional income by refusing to marry gay couples.
Let's be honest here, most churches are in the business of religion to make money or to pander to the egos of megalomaniac preachers, or both.
Your posting shows you really do not understand what Christianity is about nor Warren's church. A large portion of the money that has come in, has gone back out in ministry, as does most of the money from the sale of his books.

Any church that chooses to compromise on scripture - e.g. perform gay marriages for money - is running a business/religion and is not a community of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Since: Sep 07

Howard Beach, NY

#152 Jan 5, 2010
LindaS wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Hesed is still around, and this one's location is different. Hesed is in Lakeland FL.
Actually the Baby=Troll changed locations regularly so that's no proof of anything.
Zoro

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#153 Jan 5, 2010
Tony C wrote:
If he was truly doing God's work, God would provide.
Times were tight at Rick Warren's California Saddleback Church. The pastor told his parishioners if $900,000 couldn't be found the church would be in debt.

His plea brought in that and much more.
By New Year's Eve the Saddleback Church had $2.4 million more than when he asked for the money the last weekend of 2009 in a letter to church members needed by the New Year.

Source: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/284931
steve

Palm Bay, FL

#154 Jan 5, 2010
they should fire their administrator
this is why churchs are dependant on the social programs of the states
seenitbefore

Cape Coral, FL

#155 Jan 5, 2010
Why is pastor Warren in trouble? He said that the cash shortfall is due to 10% of his members being out of work. Well, isn't that the national unemployment rate and what does that tell you? It says, that Christians have just as much misfortune as unbelievers, which says that God doesn't give any special favors to help Christians no matter how much they pray, which says that Theism probably is not a valid belief. Conversely, non-theism does explain what happens in the world. Pastor Warren should be on the unemployment line, too as his Christian formula just does not deliver as promised and he is just a religious shill on the take.
I love my momma

Montgomery, AL

#156 Jan 5, 2010
Uh....
hating christians seems ok? hating jews bad?
loving gays good?
I once was blind but now I see.

“Don't Tread on Me”

Since: Feb 09

Salem, Missouri

#157 Jan 5, 2010
When are people going to stop throwing money after these religious phonys? How many more famous "holy men" have to be revealed as two-faced and greedy before the "sheep" wake up?

"Pastor" Warren's church is nothing more than a business, but a business that is exempt from taxation. He has many, many people working for him, and the salaries these people make are embarrassing. What does it tell you about religion, when the bottom line is more important than the message?

I have a cousin who is a "pastor," and he has made no bones about letting everyone know that he went into the ministry because he hates physical work. I had son-in-law who became a "minister" because his grandmother said that he was "chosen by God," and that "a special person like him shouldn't have to do work that would get his hands dirty."

Not all religious men are the same, but the "call to serve" for a lot of them is based on their greed and laziness.

Montréal, Canada

#158 Jan 5, 2010
Saddleback church pastor rick warren, saddleback church pastor rick warren, the The Spy Who Came In From the Cold who smelled the Craigs sponsor all over the hood like a madman

Spain

#159 Jan 5, 2010
Saddleback church pastor rick warren saddleback church pastor rick warren, is so biddable you could taste the Arnavs waste around town like crazy

Since: Jul 08

Boulder, CO

#161 Jan 5, 2010
BEE33 wrote:
<quoted text>Sure seems like it, his/her posts got pulled. And the newbie's name is AWFULLY reminiscent of Hesed's tagline.
I sure will miss his special brand of bigotry.

“Brains: Use 'em or lose 'em”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#162 Jan 5, 2010
LindaS wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh well, idiocy is rampant. However, ISPs can change for no apparent reason to places 1000+ from where the person lives and recent Hesed posts were pulled from this thread.

“Brains: Use 'em or lose 'em”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#163 Jan 5, 2010
I love my momma wrote:
Uh....
hating christians seems ok? hating jews bad?
loving gays good?
I once was blind but now I see.
No, not hating Christians, just those that hide behind the word to spread their own hate.

Location hidden

#164 Jan 5, 2010
Zoro wrote:
<quoted text>
Any church that chooses to compromise on scripture - e.g. perform gay marriages for money - is running a business/religion and is not a community of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ.
And where exactly in scripture does it say gays can't marry? You know I hope, the scripture says very little about marriage at all, since at the time the Bible was written, the church has nothing to do with marriages. They didn't perform them or approve them as marriage was considered a contract between the groom and the bride's father, not the business of the church.

Location hidden

#165 Jan 5, 2010
BEE33 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh well, idiocy is rampant. However, ISPs can change for no apparent reason to places 1000+ from where the person lives and recent Hesed posts were pulled from this thread.
Yea, I know some common trolls change ISPs like rats scurrying around in the rafters to avoid getting caught, but I have not noticed Hesad doing that(though I wouldn't be surprised) and I have seen him posting on other threads this week.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UC Riverside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP sees need to woo Asian-American voters GOP ... (Apr '13) Apr '15 swedenforever 258
News Experiment Looks for Slow Earthquakes Under Una... Jan '15 Del 1
News Experiment looks for slow earthquakes under Una... Jan '15 Milton 1
News UC's enrollment guarantee gives students an edu... Dec '14 homeless person 3
News Why are some people with autism hypersensitive ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Its VACCINES 1
News Two students selected to work on Hubble Scope P... (Apr '14) Apr '14 SayWhat 1
News Study: Third-Hand Smoke Exposure As Deadly As S... (Feb '14) Feb '14 dumb it down 4 Dan 1
More from around the web