Researcher Uses Graphene Quilts to Keep Things Cool

Dec 21, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: PhysOrg Weblog

University of California, Riverside Professor of Electrical Engineering and Chair of Materials Science and Engineering Alexander Balandin is leading several projects to explore ways to use the unique capabilities of graphene ?quilts? as heat conductors in high-power electronics.

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Apr 26, 2010
Michael

Flagstaff, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

This is a really great result. Until now most of graphene research was focused on its electronic properties. Balandin made an important discovery and substantially expanded the scope of graphene studies. It is very likely that thermal management will be the first real-life practical application of graphene.
Bill

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

This is the best science story I read over the last few years. The computer overheating is a real problem that everybody can feel. New materials that conduct heat well may certainlly help.
Khan

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2010

Graphene is cool. The heat removal with graphene is interesting idea.
Graphene Inc

Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2010

It is great news for applications that graphene has very large thermal conductivity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UC Riverside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two students selected to work on Hubble Scope P... Apr '14 SayWhat 1
GOP sees need to woo Asian-American voters GOP ... (Apr '13) Feb '14 swedenforever 257
Study: Third-Hand Smoke Exposure As Deadly As S... (Feb '14) Feb '14 dumb it down 4 Dan 1
Israel's History in Pictures: Jerusalem Childre... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Yumpin Yimminy 4
Immigration Reform: Boehner signals limited action (Jan '14) Jan '14 Ronnie 7
Room for improvement in autism awareness (Dec '13) Dec '13 This Means 1
Reza Aslan: Thoughts on Jesus, Mohammed, "manma... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Joe DeCaro 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

UC Riverside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••