Obama Expects DOMA Ruling 'Soon'

Obama Expects DOMA Ruling 'Soon'

There are 15 comments on the EDGE story from Sep 28, 2011, titled Obama Expects DOMA Ruling 'Soon'. In it, EDGE reports that:

Barack Obama said during a Sept. 28 meeting that he expects a court ruling "soon" on the Defense of Marriage Act , an anti-gay law from 1996 that singles out gay and lesbian families for discriminatory treatment by denying them federal recognition of any sort, ThinkProgress reported that same day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Frank Stanton

Omaha, NE

#1 Sep 28, 2011
"soon" ryhmes with "moon" which ryhmes "toon" and "boon" and "goon" and "joon" and "noon" and "woon" and "zoon" and "koon" and "coon".

yep, ryhmes are a good thing.
Swede

Lund, Sweden

#2 Sep 28, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
"soon" ryhmes with "moon" which ryhmes "toon" and "boon" and "goon" and "joon" and "noon" and "woon" and "zoon" and "koon" and "coon".
STFU queer.
Frank Stanton

Omaha, NE

#3 Sep 28, 2011
Swede wrote:
<quoted text>
STFU queer.
ok!:)

since we're demanding things from each other, you will now to finish off your pathetic family then commit suicide.:)

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#4 Sep 28, 2011
Someone else has decided to be the new Old Frank Stanton. Welcome new Old Frank Stanton, your dress is so pretty. Are you looking for a dance partner? Are you a drag queen?

In the real world, it's great Obama is speaking out so soon in the election process. Where this goes is anyones guess but yet OUR President is speaking up.

2012 OBAMA 2012
A-VO

Greensboro, NC

#5 Sep 28, 2011
Wow - that was harsh Frank...
in any event, I'm glad Obama is doing something with this outdated stupid law.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#6 Sep 28, 2011
How dare Republicans use our tax dollars to defend DOMA! I thought Republicans were all about being fiscally conservative. So much for that bull crap!

“WOOF !”

Since: Jul 11

Libertarian

#7 Sep 29, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
ok!:)
since we're demanding things from each other, you will now to finish off your pathetic family then commit suicide.:)
Way to go, Frank !

:)

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Sep 29, 2011
"Soon" is more likely 2013 before we get any ruling from the SCOTUS.

The 1st circuit hasn't even scheduled oral arguments yet, and there's a distinct possibility they'll send it back down to the district court for an actual trial (Tauro just made a summary judgment) which would delay the case for another 2-4 years.

Even if the 1st circuit rules on the case as is, that won't likely happen until mid-2012. Then the SCOTUS will decide in Oct 2012 whether they're going to even take the case. If they DO grant cert, then a ruling will come sometime in early 2013.

So the SOONEST it could be decided would be Oct 2012 if the SCOTUS refuses to grant cert. Even GLAD doesn't expect a decision until 2013.

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Sep 29, 2011
2012 is still going to be a busy year for gay rights with many states voting on marriage equality and a possible decision on the Prop 8 case as well as the Gill case.

Here's what's likely on the agenda for 2012:

-Marriage equality legislation votes in Washington, Maryland, New Hampshire, & New Jersey.
-Marriage referendum votes in North Carolina, Minnesota, Maine, Oregon, Washington, & Maryland.
-9th Circuit ruling on Prop 8
-1st Circuit ruling on Gill v OPM
-SCOTUS decision on whether to take Prop 8 & Gill cases.

I'd say our best chance for success is in Washington & New Hampshire, while Maine & Oregon are likely to be nail biters. Maryland, New Jersey, & Minnesota are likely losses, and North Carolina is a dead certain loss.

As for the courts, who knows. I predict the 9th circuit grants standing and upholds Judge Walker's ruling on the merits, and the SCOTUS refuses to take the case. The 1st Circuit will uphold the lower court ruling, but the SCOTUS will take the case and we won't have their ruling till 2013.

Oh, and the military doesn't collapse because gays & lesbians are serving openly......

That's my take on 2012.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#10 Sep 29, 2011
I "think" Maryland may have a shot for equality. Minnesota might just take a pass on the referendum, the state does have SOME thinkers, Bachmann aside.
WeTheSheeple wrote:
2012 is still going to be a busy year for gay rights with many states voting on marriage equality and a possible decision on the Prop 8 case as well as the Gill case.
Here's what's likely on the agenda for 2012:
-Marriage equality legislation votes in Washington, Maryland, New Hampshire, & New Jersey.
-Marriage referendum votes in North Carolina, Minnesota, Maine, Oregon, Washington, & Maryland.
-9th Circuit ruling on Prop 8
-1st Circuit ruling on Gill v OPM
-SCOTUS decision on whether to take Prop 8 & Gill cases.
I'd say our best chance for success is in Washington & New Hampshire, while Maine & Oregon are likely to be nail biters. Maryland, New Jersey, & Minnesota are likely losses, and North Carolina is a dead certain loss.
As for the courts, who knows. I predict the 9th circuit grants standing and upholds Judge Walker's ruling on the merits, and the SCOTUS refuses to take the case. The 1st Circuit will uphold the lower court ruling, but the SCOTUS will take the case and we won't have their ruling till 2013.
Oh, and the military doesn't collapse because gays & lesbians are serving openly......
That's my take on 2012.

Tawas City, Michigan

#11 Sep 29, 2011
TomInElPaso wrote:
I "think" Maryland may have a shot for equality. Minnesota might just take a pass on the referendum, the state does have SOME thinkers, Bachmann aside.
<quoted text>
Minnesota can't just "take a pass" on the referendum; it's on the ballot for 2012. Having grown up there I'm pretty sure it will pass.

Maryland may pass a marriage equality bill, but any such bill will surely face a voter referendum in the fall where the black church vote will "veto" the bill.

New Jersey couldn't pass their bill last year, and now they think they can actually pass it with a large enough margin to override Christie's veto? Not likely since the same Senators will be voting in 2012 as voted in 2010.

Since: Aug 11

Tucker, GA

#12 Sep 29, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
Here goes that never never thing again Stanton. Aren't you tired of being wrong?
When DOMA gets settled in our favor, then what are you going to blame Obama about?

What's your next attack going to be?

“WOOF !”

Libertarian

#13 Sep 29, 2011
Johnnyohness wrote:
<quoted text>
Here goes that never never thing again Stanton. Aren't you tired of being wrong?
When DOMA gets settled in our favor, then what are you going to blame Obama about?
What's your next attack going to be?
He's a nut. Ignore him.
Troll Patrol

Menlo Park, CA

#14 Sep 29, 2011
Fred ABQ wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a nut. Ignore him.
Pot, kettle, black.

“WOOF !”

Libertarian

#15 Sep 29, 2011
Troll Patrol wrote:
<quoted text>
Pot, kettle, black.
Ignorant, clueless, quiet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UC Los Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Face-to-face still trumps texts for social clos... Feb 6 Mistydo 1
News Poor teens' health may benefit from top schools (Jul '14) Dec '15 CaDad 10
News So Your Neighbor Got a Drone for Christmas Dec '15 getbestcopter 1
News The Fight To Get Toxic Chemicals Out Of Black S... Nov '15 Spotted Girl 1
News Experts Cautious About Study Predicting 'Gay' O... Oct '15 Steer clear of th... 10
News High-protein diets may backfire in the long run (May '15) Oct '15 civilian poinyt 5
News A Diet Plan That Fakes Intermittent Fasting (Jul '15) Jul '15 Intermittent Fasting 1
More from around the web