Evolution or Intelligent Design?

Evolution or Intelligent Design?

There are 590 comments on the New University story from Sep 24, 2010, titled Evolution or Intelligent Design?. In it, New University reports that:

The UC Irvine community was given a chance to witness an intellectual debate aimed at broadening the perspective on the origins of life on May 7. 'A Colloquium on Origins: Evolution and Intelligent Design' featured two experts on the origin theory of intelligent design: Paul Nelson, a senior fellow at the International Society for Complexity ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New University.

“Al Qur'an is Revolution ”

Since: Oct 12

Islam is Future

#574 Jan 22, 2013
evolution or Intelligent Design = science or magic

normal people prefer science and genius people prefer magic :)
FREE SERVANT
#575 Mar 12, 2013
How about Intelligent Creation or the mutations didit and caused Evolution? I think we all really know the answer.

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#576 Mar 12, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
How about Intelligent Creation or the mutations didit and caused Evolution? I think we all really know the answer.
Yup. Since we have evidence for mutation and evolution that's the answer. There's no evidence of any creator, certainly no evidence of an intelligent one.

Besides, even if you DID have evidence of an intelligent creator, who created that creator?
FREE SERVANT
#577 Mar 12, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. Since we have evidence for mutation and evolution that's the answer. There's no evidence of any creator, certainly no evidence of an intelligent one.
Besides, even if you DID have evidence of an intelligent creator, who created that creator?
IN THE BEGINNING means at the very start. God caused all things and I believe he also caused himself.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#578 Mar 12, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>IN THE BEGINNING means at the very start. God caused all things and I believe he also caused himself.
You can believe anything that you want. Remember this is a debate forum, that means you need to supply evidence for your beliefs.

There is no evidence for intelligent design and there is an embarrassing amount of evidence for evolutionary design.

Without evidence you lose.
FREE SERVANT
#579 Mar 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You can believe anything that you want. Remember this is a debate forum, that means you need to supply evidence for your beliefs.
There is no evidence for intelligent design and there is an embarrassing amount of evidence for evolutionary design.
Without evidence you lose.
The only insight we have of how it all began comes from the Bible, as far as our knowing about the Creator is concerned.

Los Angeles, CA

#580 Mar 12, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>IN THE BEGINNING means at the very start. God caused all things and I believe he also caused himself.
You do realize that that's impossible right?

An entity can not will itself into existence. It must exist in order to have will.

Los Angeles, CA

#581 Mar 12, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>The only insight we have of how it all began comes from the Bible, as far as our knowing about the Creator is concerned.
No, there are THOUSANDS of other religious texts which are just as valid (if not more valid) than the Bible. We have a LOT of insight from a LOT of sources.

It's just that ALL of the sources disagree with one another because...

wait for it...

They were all made up by people who didn't have a clue

Everett, WA

#582 Mar 12, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>The only insight we have of how it all began comes from the Bible, as far as our knowing about the Creator is concerned.
What!?

You are pulling my leg, right?

The world of science can help us to understand how everything began. The Bible is just a bunch of stories started by a group of bronze age sheepherders, nothing more.
FREE SERVANT
#583 Mar 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What!?
You are pulling my leg, right?
The world of science can help us to understand how everything began. The Bible is just a bunch of stories started by a group of bronze age sheepherders, nothing more.
Just because you may think this doesn't make your statement true.
FREE SERVANT
#584 Mar 12, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that that's impossible right?
An entity can not will itself into existence. It must exist in order to have will.
I believe Jesus knew what it was like and when he was ask about the kingdom of heaven he said it began very very small and it was like a seed. The Bible tells us the seed was the Word of God.
FREE SERVANT
#585 Mar 12, 2013
The instructions of how the universe was to unfold may have been in a very small bit at the very beginning.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#586 Mar 12, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
We still don't care Mikey.

Everett, WA

#587 Mar 12, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Just because you may think this doesn't make your statement true.
That is true. But if you want to make the case for the Bible then you have to give evidence that what the Bible says is factual.

Once again, this is a debating site. If you provide no evidence even the least little bit of evidence will make you lose.

Evolutionists can and do provide evidence constantly. Creationists don't. At best they come up with probably false reasons why evolution is "wrong".
FREE SERVANT
#588 Mar 12, 2013
Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen and faith is what brought the heavens and the earth into existence.

Everett, WA

#589 Mar 12, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen and faith is what brought the heavens and the earth into existence.
No, faith is synonymous with gullibility.

Gullibility never solved anything.

Los Angeles, CA

#590 Mar 13, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
Firstly, faith is belief in something without evidence, not "evidence of things not seen".

If you had evidence, you wouldn't have faith.

Secondly, it's impossible for faith (which requires opinion and lack of evidence) to be the causal factor in "creating the heavens and the earth", since there were no opinions prior to that.

IF you want to claim that "God" existed prior to that, then again it can't be faith to is causal since God has no faith.
FREE SERVANT
#591 Mar 14, 2013
Faith is complete trust and confidence that what God says will come true. God is the Creator of heaven and earth and it his original vision and faculty that brought everything into a state of being. We can see his creation and envision it based on spiritual apprehension rather than scientific proof. We as Christians have faith that God holds the future and he knows what it will be like.

Los Angeles, CA

#592 Mar 14, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
Faith is complete trust and confidence that what God says will come true. God is the Creator of heaven and earth and it his original vision and faculty that brought everything into a state of being. We can see his creation and envision it based on spiritual apprehension rather than scientific proof. We as Christians have faith that God holds the future and he knows what it will be like.
What you are describing is what you have faith in, not what faith actually is.

Faith is the believe in something without evidence.

You have "faith" that the word of God will come true because you don't (and can't) have evidence about the future.

Your faith isn't stronger than the faith of a Viking that he'll go to Vahalla. It isn't more righteous than the faith of an Aztec that the Sun will not rise if hearts are sacrificed.

It's just what you believe without evidence because you were told to believe it by someone in authority.

And that's fine.

Just don't mistake that for scientific knowledge which is based upon evidence.

There's a reason that computers don't run on prayers.

Los Angeles, CA

#593 Mar 14, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I believe Jesus knew what it was like and when he was ask about the kingdom of heaven he said it began very very small and it was like a seed. The Bible tells us the seed was the Word of God.
The Bible, like Tarot cards, tells you very little. It couches things in colorful language which you can interpret any way you wish.

"I see a change coming in your future". What does that really mean?

The Bible lacks specifics and where it has specifics, they are typically wrong.

Bats are not birds. Grasshoppers have six legs. Rabbits are not a kind of cow. etc.

If you want to say:
"Hey, there was this guy Jesus and he said to do things a certain way." That's fine.

Though, I think what you really believe is this:

"There was this guy Jesus. We pretend to like him, but actually hate everything he stands for and systematically vote for people who say the like Jesus but never for people that act like Jesus."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UC Irvine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Army Research Grant to Explore Communication Th... (Sep '08) 8 hr PrinterBench Tech 12,873
News US immigrants sue over Trump's end of deportati... Sep 19 Concave 1
News Futurist: Diversity Brings Innovation Apr '17 Richard Fish 1
News The Tax March Is Different From Other Trump Pro... Apr '17 ardith 1
News Random citizens can contest your voting right i... (Nov '16) Mar '17 Well Well 21
News Teen 'Burns From Inside Out' After Allergic Rea... (Dec '14) Feb '17 Phartoom 5
News Drill, baby, drill? Election reignites offshore... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Dr Wu 8
More from around the web