Evolution or Intelligent Design?

Sep 24, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: New University

The UC Irvine community was given a chance to witness an intellectual debate aimed at broadening the perspective on the origins of life on May 7. 'A Colloquium on Origins: Evolution and Intelligent Design' featured two experts on the origin theory of intelligent design: Paul Nelson, a senior fellow at the International Society for Complexity ...

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of590
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2012

graist wrote:
What about the plant world? Why is there no evidence of any evolution in the plant world? It is all the same and it isn't evolving. Must have been the same since the beginning.
Damn, you are ignorant, Son!

Here's some recent data for you to chew on:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-ancestor....

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2012

graist wrote:
<quoted text>
Once upon a time in a mind far away a so called scientist decided to make up a story called evolutionary theory. "With no evidence other that what I see I will tell everyone who will listen that animals change theirselves through happy accidents called positive mutations over huge amounts of time."
What a Fairy Tale
If that is really what happened, how did it stick and why is it still around today? Scientists as a group tend to be sticklers for evidence, yet according to you there is absolutely none for Evolution? So why do scientists support it?

----------
TVtropes shirt "For Science" now available for pre-order:
http://discordmerch.com/index.php...

Since: Feb 12

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

Judged:

Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
If that is really what happened, how did it stick and why is it still around today? Scientists as a group tend to be sticklers for evidence, yet according to you there is absolutely none for Evolution? So why do scientists support it?
----------
Because the viable alternatives are: God did it or Aliens did it. These two option are not palable to a large portion of today's society. The first would cause most people to become accountable to a higher being for their behavior and that is just not wanted. The latter is a long reach for most people.

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

Judged:

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn, you are ignorant, Son!
Here's some recent data for you to chew on:
http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-ancestor....
Ignorant or questioning? hmmmmm. I don't take things at face value.

I recently read a small portion of an article on how the brain evolved. In this article the "Scientist" supposes that a spot on the skin received signal from a sensor. Which came first? The sensor in the toe to know that you stubbed it or the receiver on the skin to know that you stubbed your toe. WHY? Why would the god of evolution know that we needed a sensor? Why would we need a receiver of the information? How would the god of evolution know which one to do first? How did said happy accidents get past on to the other sub-human species that had wondered off to investigate their new environment? How did they pass it on to other generations? How did new sensors evolve? How did a bigger receiver just decide to get bigger?

Questions or Ignorance that is the question.

I haven't studied fairy tale 101, but it all sounds a little far fetched.

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

Judged:

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Read again what I posted. I'll give you time to do so, and some additional time to post an apology for your above post.
What on earth would I appolygize for? Evolutionary theory that animals just decided to change themselves into other animals is just a fairy tale.

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

graist wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignorant or questioning? hmmmmm. I don't take things at face value.
I recently read a small portion of an article on how the brain evolved. In this article the "Scientist" supposes that a spot on the skin received signal from a sensor. Which came first? The sensor in the toe to know that you stubbed it or the receiver on the skin to know that you stubbed your toe. WHY? Why would the god of evolution know that we needed a sensor? Why would we need a receiver of the information? How would the god of evolution know which one to do first? How did said happy accidents get past on to the other sub-human species that had wondered off to investigate their new environment? How did they pass it on to other generations? How did new sensors evolve? How did a bigger receiver just decide to get bigger?
Questions or Ignorance that is the question.
I haven't studied fairy tale 101, but it all sounds a little far fetched.
If you happen to find that article, please post the link. I'd like to read it for myself.

As for the rest of it, see my response below

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

graist wrote:
<quoted text>
What on earth would I appolygize for? Evolutionary theory that animals just decided to change themselves into other animals is just a fairy tale.
Boy, you just beat the living CRAP out of that strawman!

Congrats!
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

graist wrote:
<quoted text>
Goddidit with magic is not the question. Evolutionary guesses and supposing doesn't make any sense. To reduce the wonder of the human eye to a statement like the one you provide is just ridiculous. Descent with modification via random mutation is just a bunch of supposing that all the creatures stayed in the same place under the same influences over billions of years so they could change by chance. Doesn't make any sense.
You're right. That doesn't make any sense.

Because it has nothing to do with what I posted.
graist wrote:
Self-replicating cell..... Really,,,, just does it all by itself and replicates itself into itself so it can have other itselves so they could get together and mutate and self-replicate somemore. And then they could descend with modification via random mutations that could inhance their self-replicating self. And they all lived happily ever after in the land of make believe where they use big words to invent even more self-replicating blather.
What a fair tale.
In case you hadn't noticed (and you haven't) biological organisms DO self-replicate, and their offspring are slightly different each time.

That's not fairy-tale, that's observed reality.

Your inability to understand concepts doth not a valid criticism make.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

graist wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the viable alternatives are: God did it or Aliens did it. These two option are not palable to a large portion of today's society. The first would cause most people to become accountable to a higher being for their behavior and that is just not wanted.
Theological/philosophical views are irrelevant to science. "Goddidit" is not an alternative, it is a cop-out. It's claim the magic guy in the sky did it because I can't be bothered learning about reality.

Also, evolution makes no theological claims, it is accepted by many Christians as God's method of bringing us here (as you've been told numerous times already). Therefore it is disingenuous of you to say that evolution is chosen in order to avoid accountability to your invisible magical man for which you have no evidence.

Besides, accountability means nothing to creationists, as the vast majority of them are total liars.(shrug)

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

graist wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the viable alternatives are: God did it or Aliens did it. These two option are not palable to a large portion of today's society. The first would cause most people to become accountable to a higher being for their behavior and that is just not wanted. The latter is a long reach for most people.
Here are the problems with that:

1. There are more people that believe in God that don't.

2. Evolution doesn't require you to not believe in God. Like all science it is secular, neutral in respects to the existence of God.

3. The 'Aliens did it' is not really an alternative because all it does it make us ask where the aliens came from.

4. Even if your premise is true that doesn't explain why they would set up such a massive conspiracy just because they were uncomfortable.

----------

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, you just beat the living CRAP out of that strawman!
Congrats!
Would that be the scarecrow? Another fairy tale.

So much for how. Which no one can explain. We are all suppose to just drink the coolaid.

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

Judged:

Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Here are the problems with that:
1. There are more people that believe in God that don't.
2. Evolution doesn't require you to not believe in God. Like all science it is secular, neutral in respects to the existence of God.
3. The 'Aliens did it' is not really an alternative because all it does it make us ask where the aliens came from.
4. Even if your premise is true that doesn't explain why they would set up such a massive conspiracy just because they were uncomfortable.
----------
No Smells!! This used soft cover book is in good to fair condition. No major defects. Some wear to the cover, will have spine creases. May have store stamp, store price, personal name. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about this book.

Atheists believe that all religions especially Christianity is a lie that has be propagated for over 2000 years. The adherents to Islam are dogmatic in their belief.

Why couldn't the religion of evolutionary theory be the same? Evolutionist are dogmatic about their religion or Darwinism.

True evolutionary theory states that all life came from natural processes over billions of years. Religion states that God did it. They are in argument with each other.

No matter if there is an alternative theory or not doesn't change the fact that the evolutionary theory that a particular animal could change itself over time by happy accidents into another completely different animal is a fair tale.

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

Judged:

Please ingore the part about the book. I was checking my spelling.

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

graist wrote:
<quoted text>
Would that be the scarecrow? Another fairy tale.
So much for how. Which no one can explain. We are all suppose to just drink the coolaid.
Holy crap you're a dumbass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Theological/philosophical views are irrelevant to science. "Goddidit" is not an alternative, it is a cop-out. It's claim the magic guy in the sky did it because I can't be bothered learning about reality.
Also, evolution makes no theological claims, it is accepted by many Christians as God's method of bringing us here (as you've been told numerous times already). Therefore it is disingenuous of you to say that evolution is chosen in order to avoid accountability to your invisible magical man for which you have no evidence.
Besides, accountability means nothing to creationists, as the vast majority of them are total liars.(shrug)
I was just answering the question.

Love your hate.

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. That doesn't make any sense.
Because it has nothing to do with what I posted.
<quoted text>
In case you hadn't noticed (and you haven't) biological organisms DO self-replicate, and their offspring are slightly different each time.
That's not fairy-tale, that's observed reality.
Your inability to understand concepts doth not a valid criticism make.
Hogwash

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

graist wrote:
<quoted text>
No Smells!! This used soft cover book is in good to fair condition. No major defects. Some wear to the cover, will have spine creases. May have store stamp, store price, personal name. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about this book.
Atheists believe that all religions especially Christianity is a lie that has be propagated for over 2000 years. The adherents to Islam are dogmatic in their belief.
Why couldn't the religion of evolutionary theory be the same? Evolutionist are dogmatic about their religion or Darwinism.
True evolutionary theory states that all life came from natural processes over billions of years. Religion states that God did it. They are in argument with each other.
No matter if there is an alternative theory or not doesn't change the fact that the evolutionary theory that a particular animal could change itself over time by happy accidents into another completely different animal is a fair tale.
Every sentance you said here is wrong with the exception of "Religion states that God did it.".

You are incapable of learning.

Good luck with your career in the fast-food industry.

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

Judged:

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Every sentance you said here is wrong with the exception of "Religion states that God did it.".
You are incapable of learning.
Good luck with your career in the fast-food industry.
Oh I am so sad that you have called me names. Guess that is to be expected since I am attacking your religion of the evolutionary fair tale. Boo Whoo, ho hum, I guess I will have to stop asking questions about how animals just decided to change themselves by themselves just because they wanted to change into a completely different animal that still exsists today, but someday in the past they decided to change and changed all the other animals at the same time over a large land mass......

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

Judged:

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumbass here. Didn't give a strawman argument.

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

Judged:

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumbass here again. Asking questions isn't a strawman argument.

Too bad you don't have any answers for your religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of590
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••