Poor, Minority Women More Likely to Hinder Breast Cancer Treatment

May 2, 2013 Full story: Loop21.com

African American and Hispanic women with breast cancer are waiting six weeks or more to have surgery or to begin chemotherapy.

Full Story

“Obsidian Princess”

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#1 May 2, 2013
our women need to reject surgery and chemo-therapy as their first and only options for dealing with "breast cancer."
Ih8nigurs

United States

#2 May 2, 2013
I feel sorry for the asian arab hispanic and indian women.

Since: Feb 10

Clearwater, FL

#3 May 2, 2013
Ih8nigurs wrote:
I feel sorry for the asian arab hispanic and indian women.
That's really terrible advice. Someone selling snake oil is trying to take adavantage of people who already have extrea hurdes.

It's SHAMEFUL.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#4 Jun 7, 2013
dragonpat wrote:
our women need to reject surgery and chemo-therapy as their first and only options for dealing with "breast cancer."
So what will be their option? STFU you r not in their position!!!!!

Since: Feb 10

Clearwater, FL

#5 Jun 7, 2013
Hanna- wrote:
<quoted text>
So what will be their option? ST** you r not in their position!!!!!
Used some asterisks so it can't be pulled.

It just really yanks my chain when snake oil salespeople come in here trying to scare people away from the PROVEN treatments.

ALL the choices for treating breast cancer are scary -- no doubt about it. There are REAL reasons why the women who were the topic of this research are hesitating, and that has to be addressed.

My thought is that, KNOWING that this is happening, we need patient advocates these women can relate to -- women from their cultures, and in the case of Hispanic people, who can speak in their language of birth.

People hesitate because they have questions that haven't been answered to their satisfaction -- and in this case, they're dealing with very serious questions.

Cancer treatment is already so expensive that hiring these patient advocates would be a drop in the bucket.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UC Irvine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Army Research Grant to Explore Communication Th... (Sep '08) 12 hr John Doe 7,438
Teen 'Burns From Inside Out' After Allergic Rea... Dec '14 Spotted Girl 4
Editorial: UC tuition hikes don't sit well Nov '14 Ace McMillan 4
NASA Begins Sixth Year Of Airborne Antarctic Ic... Oct '14 One way or another 4
UCI to lead $8 million effort to create library... Oct '14 American 1
Same-sex marriage arguments flooding federal co... Oct '14 Missylynn 28
Committed Carbon Emissions Are Rising Fast Aug '14 SpaceBlues 1
More from around the web