Michael Ruse: A Darwinian Can Be a Ch...

Michael Ruse: A Darwinian Can Be a Christian, Too

There are 47 comments on the The Huffington Post story from Jun 24, 2010, titled Michael Ruse: A Darwinian Can Be a Christian, Too. In it, The Huffington Post reports that:

The science-religion front is the site of ongoing conflict. On the one side are the militant atheists like Oxford-based biologist Richard Dawkins , who want simply to remove religion from the face of the earth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Huffington Post.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#41 Jun 29, 2010
T Leary wrote:
<quoted text>
The best view of the Milky Way I ever had was on a cold clear night in Chaco Canyon in NM. High desert far from city lights. You could clearly see both bands of the Milky Way. It was that night I fully realized why it is called the Milky Way.
I used to be an amature astronomer and knew the night sky very well, but there were so many "dim" stars that you don't see around lighted areas I had to squint my eyes so the brighter stars I was familure with would stand out. Just fantastic.
Best view I had was Sun City in South Africa. Got taken out to the helipad in the middle of the night (no lights there). Had a great view of the night sky. Only problem though is I could only recognise the constellation of Orion (which looked rather odd laying on its side), as I didn't recognise any of the constellations in the southern hemisphere. Good view tho, had my binocs and there were plenty of shooting stars.
Ted on diff machine

Montgomery, AL

#42 Jun 29, 2010
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Lucky so and so!
That she is! But then some folks make their own luck.

“Church of Latter Day Heathens”

Since: Feb 09

Austin, Tx

#43 Jun 29, 2010
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Best view I had was Sun City in South Africa. Got taken out to the helipad in the middle of the night (no lights there). Had a great view of the night sky. Only problem though is I could only recognise the constellation of Orion (which looked rather odd laying on its side), as I didn't recognise any of the constellations in the southern hemisphere. Good view tho, had my binocs and there were plenty of shooting stars.
Dude, you were lucky. I have always wanted to see the southern sky. I want to see the globular clusters, those in the northern sky cannot be seen with the naked eye.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#44 Jun 29, 2010
T Leary wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, you were lucky. I have always wanted to see the southern sky. I want to see the globular clusters, those in the northern sky cannot be seen with the naked eye.
A decent pair of binoculars (10x50 or better) and a nite sky are sufficient to see some globular clusters even in the Northern Hemisphere.

But yeah, I share your envy. I'd love to be in the high mountains of Peru or in the Andes with some good optics!

“Church of Latter Day Heathens”

Since: Feb 09

Austin, Tx

#45 Jun 29, 2010
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
A decent pair of binoculars (10x50 or better) and a nite sky are sufficient to see some globular clusters even in the Northern Hemisphere.
But yeah, I share your envy. I'd love to be in the high mountains of Peru or in the Andes with some good optics!
Very true. I used to have a 12" Schmidt Cassegrain telescope, but to see them with the naked eye would be a treat. Possibly like the feeling I get when I look at the Amdromeda galaxy with the naked eye.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#46 Jun 29, 2010
Ted on diff machine wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFL!
BTW Lissa Marie says Hi!
Ted, next time you see Lissa, tell her I thought of her when I came across this article:

http://www.physorg.com/news197039147.html

"Researcher finds 10,000 year-old hunting weapon in melting ice patch.

(June 29th, 2010 in Other Sciences / Archaeology & Fossils)

University of Colorado at Boulder Research Associate Craig Lee holds a 10,000-year-old atlatl dart that had been frozen in an ice sheet near Yellowstone National Park."

<more at link above>
Ted on diff machine

Montgomery, AL

#47 Jun 29, 2010
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ted, next time you see Lissa, tell her I thought of her when I came across this article:
http://www.physorg.com/news197039147.html
"Researcher finds 10,000 year-old hunting weapon in melting ice patch.
(June 29th, 2010 in Other Sciences / Archaeology & Fossils)
University of Colorado at Boulder Research Associate Craig Lee holds a 10,000-year-old atlatl dart that had been frozen in an ice sheet near Yellowstone National Park."
<more at link above>
It's on the way, not sure when she will get it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UC Irvine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City Criminalizes College Parties Sep 3 David F Miller Hemet 2
News Study: Global Greening Will Stave Off The Bad P... Aug 31 tina anne 2
News US Courts Strike Down Voter Restrictions in Sta... Aug '16 storm warning 2
News Feds Spend $507,132 Studying The 'Asian Ethnic ... Jun '16 SeanOsorioLee 1
News Army Research Grant to Explore Communication Th... (Sep '08) May '16 John Dville 10,893
News Opinion: Older, female and looking for a job? Y... Apr '16 Ex Senator Stillb... 2
News Experimental nanowire-based battery cell rechar... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 2
More from around the web