Fighting US's worst teen pregnancy rate in Miss.

May 29, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Newms360.com

With her hair in a ponytail and her smile quick and wide, it's hard to tell that high school junior Donyell Hollins has been pulling all-nighters for most of the semester to take care of her infant daughter.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Allen

Cumming, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

I used to live there. It is all about Jesus. I am not sure if he isn't supposed to care as much if the sex is unplanned and unprotected, if he is supposed to appear and apply the condoms, or if he is the gardener that keeps knocking up these girls, but I heard a lot about him when I was there.

Interestingly, they have no emancipated minor statute there. Clearly, keeping them under their parent's thumb until they are at least 18 is working well too.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2012

Judged:

Allen wrote:
I used to live there. It is all about Jesus. I am not sure if he isn't supposed to care as much if the sex is unplanned and unprotected, if he is supposed to appear and apply the condoms, or if he is the gardener that keeps knocking up these girls, but I heard a lot about him when I was there.
Interestingly, they have no emancipated minor statute there. Clearly, keeping them under their parent's thumb until they are at least 18 is working well too.
If the majority of the school board members are some kind of conservative "christians," it is no surprise that so many teen girls there are ending up pregnant.

Many of these "christian" sects are stupid enough to believe the idiocy that "birth control is a sin." So if a large number of teen girls are getting pregnane there, they think "it's god's will" or something equally insane.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2012

Girls, if you want to avoid getting pregnant in the first place, you need to THINK SEX THROUGH. Think past the moment before you are IN the moment.

- Think about how you'll feel losing your virginity.
- Think about missing your period.
- Think about having to tell your parents that YOU ARE PREGNANT.
- Think about having to give away a baby so you can go on with your plans.
- Think about giving birth.
- Think about having an abortion
- Think about putting your plans on hold maybe forever.
- Think about how much it will cost to raise a baby to adulthood ($100,000 or more)
- Think about what you'll be giving up (all your FREEDOM)
- Think about colic (anywhere from 1 to 6 months of it)
- Think about trading in your cute teenage outfits for dumpy maternity clothes
- Think about painful, drippy breasts
- Think about a child with a disability
- Think about changing lots of stinky diapers, day AND night.
- Think about losing lots of sleep
- Think about "What if he leaves me."
- Think about getting a HUGE belly and gaining a lot of weight
- Think about morning sickness, anywhere from 1 to possibly 6 months of it
- Think about suffering through painful hours (possibly days) of labor
- Think about getting almost no sleep at night after bringing the baby home
- Think about a baby possibly vomiting all over you (that happened to me more than once when DS was an infant)
- Think about listening to a crying, screaming baby instead of being out having fun with your friends
- Think about missing out on prom, graduation, college and dream career
- Think about the next 18 years of GIVING THINGS UP

The more you THINK about the very real hardships of motherhood before having sex in the first place, you might be far LESS likely to take the risk of having sex and possibly ending up pregnant.
Serendipity

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

Ocean56, trust me, there are worse things in life than teen pregnancies.

Not having any children at all for one.

Today some sources estimate that one in six couples in UK experience fertility problems. That might be the case in the USA as well, although statistics remain unclear.

And then consider the high (outrageously high in fact) costs of adoption in the USA, or even more expensive, gestational surrogacy or fertility treatments.

By the time a young woman completes her education and saves enough money to adopt-- the cost has risen again. A job loss or a medical crisis in the family can ruin any chances of adopting. State agencies want foster parents for infants and young children and not adoptive ones.

So before wringing your hands too much about the teen pregnancy rate in Mississippi, consider the fate of people who postpone having children.
Carpe Diem

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

The numbers are pretty clear: teen pregnancies are way higher throuhout the Bible Belt than anywhere else. Hard not to conclude that the very people who claim to be for 'traditional family values' are the ones actually destroying the traditional family.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Serendipity wrote:
Today some sources estimate that one in six couples in UK experience fertility problems. That might be the case in the USA as well, although statistics remain unclear.
And then consider the high (outrageously high in fact) costs of adoption in the USA, or even more expensive, gestational surrogacy or fertility treatments.
By the time a young woman completes her education and saves enough money to adopt-- the cost has risen again. A job loss or a medical crisis in the family can ruin any chances of adopting. State agencies want foster parents for infants and young children and not adoptive ones.
So before wringing your hands too much about the teen pregnancy rate in Mississippi, consider the fate of people who postpone having children.
Well, you're entitled to your OPINION, which is certainly not the same as fact. When I was a teenager, the WORST thing for me would have been to get knocked up and be forced to be a mother before I had even graduated high school.

That's why I made the choice to be sexFREE all through middle and high school. No WAY was I going to take the risk of getting knocked up and have all my life plans ruined by teen motherhood.

Whether you like it or not, I will go on saying that teen sex is a BAD IDEA, because it leads to girls LOSING their freedom to be teenagers. When girls choose to be sexFREE in middle and high school, they're free from the TRAP of unwanted pregnancy and teen motherhood. No sex, no pregnancy...NO TRAP.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Serendipity wrote:
That's only true for women who WANT to have children. Many women have made the decision to be childFREE, which means NO children by choice.

Motherhood is OPTIONAL, not required, even if a pregnancy results for whatever reason(s).
Melissa17

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Ocean56 wrote:
Girls, if you want to avoid getting pregnant in the first place, you need to THINK SEX THROUGH. Think past the moment before you are IN the moment....The more you THINK about the very real hardships of motherhood before having sex in the first place, you might be far LESS likely to take the risk of having sex and possibly ending up pregnant.
and think about getting an IUC or on the pill so you don't get pregnant when you screw! absolutely nothing wrong with sex, you just have to make sure no weeds get sprouted in the garden.
Join Free
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Melissa17 wrote:
and think about getting an IUC or on the pill so you don't get pregnant when you screw! absolutely nothing wrong with sex, you just have to make sure no weeds get sprouted in the garden.
Yes, Melissa, you're correct on this point. Some form of protection must always be used EVERY time to avoid unwanted pregnancy if you're going to take the risk and have sex anyway. Having sex without any protection WILL result in unwanted pregnancy sooner or later.

That being said, I hope you are aware that NO form of birth control is 100% guaranteed against unwanted pregnancy. If you ask your OB/Gyn doctor or other health care professional, he/she will tell you the same thing. That means there is still the small chance you COULD get pregnant, even if you are on the pill or are using an IUD, because those can and DO fail as well. Just so you know. Good luck.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Fact: Motherhood is HARD WORK, especially for teen girls.

Some of the hardships mothers of all ages will face once a baby arrives include -- but are not limited to -- the following:

LOSS OF FREEDOM - Having a baby really DOES change everything, including the freedom that girls used to have in abundance. Once the baby arrives, that freedom will be gone, for at least the next five or six years and possibly longer. Teen girls who become moms can forget about going out with friends, whether to the movies, to hang out at their favorite restaurant or coffee shop, or anywhere else for that matter. If they do go out, they’ll have to take the baby with them if their parents refuse to babysit. If the baby is sick or very cranky for any number of reasons, girls will end up staying home instead of going out. Girls who are still in middle or high school will find it much harder to do their homework assignments or study for exams when they have to care for a baby as well. It will be a very long time before girls get any of their former freedom back.

LOSS OF SLEEP - The first thing girls have to know about motherhood is that newborn babies do NOT sleep eight hours a night. All mothers, myself included, can honestly say that babies can – and do – wake up during the night as many as two or three times. Each time the baby wakes up, mom has to get up with the baby, feed the baby, change the baby’s diaper (which could be a messy one), and then get the baby back to sleep. When my son was a newborn baby, there were nights where I got NO sleep whatsoever. Luckily for me, I had completed high school and post-high school education long before I became a mother, so I didn’t have to get up at 5:00am to go to school after having almost no sleep. Teen moms will not be so lucky.

LOSS OF MONEY - Whatever money a girl used to spend on herself will have to be spent on the baby, and that cost is far more than most girls could begin to anticipate. These costs include diapers, food, clothing, baby equipment (car seat, crib, stroller, baby carriers, baby and child toys, etc.) and so much more. Anyone who wants to do the math can begin their research by going to their local grocery store and checking out the baby food and diaper sections. Just make sure you have a notebook and calculator, because you will need to multiply those costs for each item several times per week. That’s just for food and diapers, you haven’t even started on the costs for clothing, baby equipment and toys. That will add a staggering amount to your calculations, and the sum will be far higher than you could imagine. If you plan to put the baby in day care for any amount of time during the week, you will have to add up those costs too. Get the picture now? Having a baby costs a HUGE amount of money, which many girls and young women simply do not have, unless they have wealthy parents.

The ONLY way for teen girls and guys to avoid the trap of teen pregnancy/motherhood entirely and keep their freedom to be teenagers is to avoid having sex with partners while they are in high school. If they decide to have anyway, despite the risks, they need to use protection EVERY TIME they have sex to minimize the risk as much as they possibly can. Even if a girl has sex without protection just ONE time, she can still get caught in the teen pregnancy trap.
Cleo

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

No one here disagrees that motherhood involves a lot of work.

But I must ask-- why are so many people so interested in advising other people not to have children?

Are any of you Planned Parenthood employees?
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Cleo wrote:
No one here disagrees that motherhood involves a lot of work.
But I must ask-- why are so many people so interested in advising other people not to have children?
I don't want to see TEEN GIRLS having children, for all the reasons I stated previously. Got a problem with my saying that? Too bad. There are too many NEGATIVE aspects of teen motherhood for me to say it's a good thing, so I don't support it and never will. I don't make any apologies for not doing so.

Teen sex is a BAD IDEA, because it too often leads to teen girls (and teen guys too) losing ALL their freedom just to BE teenagers. IMO anyone who advises teen girls TO have sex and risk the possibility of unwanted pregnancy, as YOU appear to be doing, is totally irresponsible.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

REALITY SUCKS FOR TEENAGE MOTHERS

http://voices.yahoo.com/reality-sucks-teenage ...

by Melody Landeros, February 1, 2011

Many people read with disbelief the recent story of ninety teenage mothers or mothers to be at one school in Tennessee. Others walk by the checkout counters and see headlines such as one MTV mother doesn't know who exactly is the father of her baby. More people tune into MTV and watch the latest installment of Teen Mother 2. Ask a teenager and they know of at least one pregnant person in high school. With a country that has so much information and supplies about pregnancy prevention, how do we explain this atmosphere that condones, and encourages young girls to get pregnant as young as twelve.

Many people will say blame the media that projects this illusionary picture of teen motherhood as though it is tough, the pregnancy will workout some way in a positive manner for the young mother. Maybe the pregnancy will and maybe the opposite outcome will occur, but once the cameras are turned off the question becomes how did these young women end up in such life changing situations?

Does peer pressure cause young girls to become women too fast? When the mentality of everyone doing it or an acceptance that somehow being sexually active is a rite of passage at such an early age, many girls have intimate relationships long before they are mentally and emotionally ready to handle the responsibility and the consequences of these choices. Many mistaken sex for love and instead of realizing that sex is an expression of love.

Their need for acceptance and love is so great that if that relationship doesn't fill that void in them, they mistakenly believe a baby will fill that void, when the void can truly only be filled by themselves. Self-love and acceptance will fill the void, not sexual trysts or babies. These young women do not realize that a baby is a life altering event and once mothers, all the self-centeredness of teenage years, the parties, the dances, the going out, are gone and life revolves around the baby who is completely dependent on a mother.

Not only does the expectant mother have a life altering event, so do the family and friends that surround them. Friends may be excited in the beginning with their pregnant friend, eagerly anticipating the birth and the few weeks that follow, but life will again flow for their friends. These friends will continue to be teenagers and have that semi-carefree life, and not wish to be tied down with a friend with a baby. Sounds cruel, but this choice is a reality many teen mothers experience.

Click on the link at the top or below to read the entire article.

http://voices.yahoo.com/reality-sucks-teenage ...
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Another important benefit of being sexFREE as a teenager is that a girl will keep her freedom to become a financially independent single woman once she completes all her educational and career goals. She can decide for HERSELF when or IF she wants to be married, with or without children.

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-benefits-being-si ...

THE BENEFITS OF BEING A SINGLE WOMAN

by Crystal Ray, September 14, 2010

The grass always seems greener on the other side, until reaching the other side and realizing that life prior to crossing the fence really was not that bad. Marriage and single life are on opposite sides of the lifestyle spectrum, and dating falls somewhere in between. Being a single woman has many advantages that are often forgotten - until becoming attached once again. Consider the following benefits of being unmarried, and contemplate whether or not the advantages outweigh the disadvantages before changing your marital status.

The Benefits of Making Solitary Decisions

One of the greatest benefits of being single is the freedom to make decisions without the input of another. From trivial plans for dinner to major purchases, solitary decisions are a major plus when unmarried. The single woman can make decisions on everything from her choice of vehicles to dinner plans without having to consult anyone.

Financial Independence

Another one of the benefits of being an officially unattached woman is financial independence. This might not be one of the greatest benefits for someone with financial problems, but it is a plus for women that are able to survive without the income of another. Single women do not have to consult anyone before making a major purchase, and they have absolutely anything they can afford.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2012

Helpful Rules For Teens In PREVENTING Pregnancy and STD's

1. NEVER consent to sex if you know you aren't on birth control and a guy tells you he doesn't have or use condoms (make sure you ask him about condoms BEFORE having sex).

2. ALWAYS use protection, whether it is condoms, the pill, or both, any and EVERY time you decide to have sex. Not using protection even ONE time will result in an unwanted pregnancy sooner or later.

3. ALWAYS be aware that all contraceptive methods can fail and that pregnancy could result.

4. NEVER assume you can't get pregnant because you're on birth control, even the pill.

5. NEVER let yourself be pressured into having sex if you really don't want to do it.

6. NEVER believe a guy who says "trust me, you can't get pregnant." Don't have sex with this guy either.

7. NEVER have a child if you have any doubts about or unwillingness to be a mom or a dad.

8. NEVER be afraid to dump a boyfriend or girlfriend if he/she pressures you to do things you don't want to do.

9. NEVER assume that having anal sex cannot cause pregnancy or a sexually transmitted disease. It can do both.

10. ALWAYS ask exactly what a guy means when he says "I'm old fashioned." It could mean he believes that girls are ONLY meant to be wives and mothers and nothing else. Don't have sex with this guy, as it could be a trap.

11. ALWAYS keep busy with studies and school or extracurricular activities that you really like and don't want to GIVE UP.

12. NEVER believe a guy who says he can guarantee that a girl will never get pregnant even though she has sex. There's NO such guarantee, except NOT to have sex.

Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2012

To reinforce the concept of THINKING SEX THROUGH, a girl can also keep these short positive thoughts in mind, EVERY time a guy tries to pressure her to have sex.

1. Pregnancy-FREE and loving it
2. No Pregnancy, Know FREEDOM
3. Freedom ROCKS, Pregnancy SUCKS!
4. Freedom = Fun, Pregnancy = NO FUN
5. Sex? No Way! I intend to KEEP my freedom, not lose it.

Girls can write these thoughts down and keep them in a place where they can look at them EVERY day. Whether they use one thought they like best or all five of them, they can be written down on colorful sheets of paper and placed on their tables/desks, and/or on their walls.

These colorful sheets of paper, whether large or small, will serve as daily reminders of how important it is for them to THINK about the consequences of teen sex -- babies -- and help them say NO! to sex with confidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tougaloo College Discussions

Search the Tougaloo College Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Civil rights veterans: Voter protection still i... Jun 27 dbiggs69 7
Tougaloo College Honors Gala Feb '14 growing-and-shrinking 1
Grab your hat, read with the cat (Feb '13) Feb '13 guest 1
Miss. seder combines Jewish and black traditions (Apr '12) Jul '12 derpmaster 2
Civil rights museum gets lift from governor (Jan '11) Jan '11 Tony 2
Coast Guard's Merchant honored as MEAC/SWAC Cha... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Gods Warrior 2
Obama's inauguration celebrated at Megar Evers'... (Feb '09) Feb '09 lathon 1
•••
•••