Tyngsboro hikes cost of school lunches

Full story: Lowell Sun

In the town that recently hiked its already high bus and school athletic user fees, Tyngsboro parents likely understand that there's rarely such a thing as a free lunch.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 58 of58
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Patriot

Dracut, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
Jul 19, 2008
 
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know what, I paid them back at least 12 times over. I'm glad you're gone.
It's not about "paying back" it's about supporting the basic elements of a democracy. Public education is at the heart of our country's democracy. An educated public assures the continuation of democracy and participates successfully in the economy rather than becoming another drag on it (jail, law enforcement, welfare). Even those who never had kids should pay the taxes required for a strong public education system. It is in our town's, our state's and our country's best interest in the long run.
Taxpayer

Walpole, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#44
Jul 19, 2008
 
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not about "paying back" it's about supporting the basic elements of a democracy. Public education is at the heart of our country's democracy. An educated public assures the continuation of democracy and participates successfully in the economy rather than becoming another drag on it (jail, law enforcement, welfare). Even those who never had kids should pay the taxes required for a strong public education system. It is in our town's, our state's and our country's best interest in the long run.
These days it is in the best interest of the health insurance companies that cover these public employees. I can't say this too many times, the taxpayers are tapped out, they must find another way. I can't give you more than I have to give. We still have to run households and we have our own medical expenses and utility bills to deal with.

Your mini speech is all very nice but it's a fantasy and that's becoming more apparent each year. If your governor gets his 'Readiness Initiative' through then you ain't seen nothing yet. Lot's of mandates and no funding. As a matter of fact, I think I read something that said we'll be getting about $1 million LESS than last year. I could be wrong on that but I don't think so.

They can put overrides on the ballot forever, they should save the ink they waste.
Kevin

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45
Jul 19, 2008
 
Taxpayer, it is the city employees who are looking for a handout.They want more and more help to do less and less. Next year the layoffs will start, just like Chelmsford this year. The pattern is repeating, the real taxpayers believe the money is being wasted at best, and stolen at the worst.
Taxpayer

Walpole, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#46
Jul 19, 2008
 
Kevin wrote:
Taxpayer, it is the city employees who are looking for a handout.They want more and more help to do less and less. Next year the layoffs will start, just like Chelmsford this year. The pattern is repeating, the real taxpayers believe the money is being wasted at best, and stolen at the worst.
Put me on that list.
Former resident

Yelm, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#47
Jul 20, 2008
 
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not about "paying back" it's about supporting the basic elements of a democracy. Public education is at the heart of our country's democracy....
Thank you, Patriot. You are exactly right.
If all Taxpayer wants is parity, low taxes, etc., he may find the situation in Cuba more to his liking. He can have all kinds of government-subsidized services and live quite comfortably. If he wants to live in a democratic society, that means continual contributions, financial, civic, etc. You don't get to opt out once you retire because you think you've "done your share."
Taxpayer

Walpole, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#48
Jul 20, 2008
 
Former resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, Patriot. You are exactly right.
If all Taxpayer wants is parity, low taxes, etc., he may find the situation in Cuba more to his liking. He can have all kinds of government-subsidized services and live quite comfortably. If he wants to live in a democratic society, that means continual contributions, financial, civic, etc. You don't get to opt out once you retire because you think you've "done your share."
You're dumber than spit. Where did I say I didn't want to pay my fair share? Where did I say I wanted to opt out?
Joey

Hopkinton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#49
Jul 21, 2008
 
Kevin wrote:
the real taxpayers believe the money is being wasted at best, and stolen at the worst.
Everyone is hurting these days with gas prices, taxes, and job security. People do not have a problem paying taxes if it is spent properly. When people hear about outrageous benefits and raises that they do not see in the private sector, then it becomes an issue.
sue

Tewksbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50
Jul 21, 2008
 
school lunch is still a good deal- compare the cost to fast food
good food

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#51
Jul 21, 2008
 
The food isn't even that good
Kevin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#52
Jul 21, 2008
 
If you look at the school budget, you will notice the purpose is not to educate the children, but to enrich the administrators and teachers.
joey

Windham, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#53
Jul 21, 2008
 
Its all about the childern,The taxpayers eats pea soup,An the kids eat lobster.
Amber

Peabody, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#54
Jul 21, 2008
 
Disgusted American wrote:
<quoted text>I agree it would probably be healthier, I don't think it would be cheaper though. Have you been to the grocery store lately?
At the $2.00 and $2.25 level for a school lunch, you can pack smarter and cheaper from home.
A PB&J sandwich costs $.32.
$2.50 bag of chips/18 servings =.13/day
Fresh fruit: about .35 each serving (and that's generous)
Apple juice:$2, 16 servings,.12 each
2 cookies, homemade,.15 each
That's $1.22 per lunch. Even factoring in different selections (lunch meat bought on sale, veggie sticks, homemade brownies, etc.)the cost of the lunch box ($10) and the food containers (reusable,$10) over 180 school days (.11/day), the cost of bagging would save you $122.40 per year.
It boils down to convenience, nutrition (is what the schools offer as healthy as you'd like?), and time (will you take the time to pack?).
Amber

Peabody, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#55
Jul 21, 2008
 
benjee wrote:
Has anyone comlaining here ever run for a seat on the School Committee? Or do you just complain and hope that changes magically happen?
I have. You have to defeat the masses who drink the local "pro-override, education at any cost" organizations' Kool-Aid or you won't get elected. The only time anyone pays attention to local elections is when an override is at stake, and even then many people vote for whoever their friends tell them to.
Joey

Hopkinton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#56
Jul 21, 2008
 
Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have. You have to defeat the masses who drink the local "pro-override, education at any cost" organizations' Kool-Aid or you won't get elected. The only time anyone pays attention to local elections is when an override is at stake, and even then many people vote for whoever their friends tell them to.
Sorry to hear that you did not win in the election. You can atleast say you tried. That is more than most. Guess you didn't have the local backing of the unions and others to fund your campaign.
Taxpayer

Walpole, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#57
Jul 21, 2008
 
Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have. You have to defeat the masses who drink the local "pro-override, education at any cost" organizations' Kool-Aid or you won't get elected. The only time anyone pays attention to local elections is when an override is at stake, and even then many people vote for whoever their friends tell them to.
I always vote and I always vote against anyone that supported an override. If they run unopposed I write in Mickey Mouse or Goofey.
Joey

Hopkinton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#58
Jul 22, 2008
 
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
I always vote and I always vote against anyone that supported an override. If they run unopposed I write in Mickey Mouse or Goofey.
Can Mickey Mouse run for all these positions? Is he eligible? I hope he wins the Senate seat in November.
Former resident

Milford, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#59
Jul 28, 2008
 
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
You're dumber than spit. Where did I say I didn't want to pay my fair share? Where did I say I wanted to opt out?
I'm sorry that your life is so empty you have nothing better to do than berate your fellow humans and public education. You are a sad person.
TyngParent

Westwood, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60
Aug 13, 2008
 
Boy, I must be really daft because I have trouble putting together a daily lunch for my daughter. Lunch meat, not healthy but OK, but my daughter would have to bring it and her milk in a cooler. Peanut butter, thats out unless I send in a note saying put her at the allergy free table. A hot meal might be nice, but its an interesting concept to give a 5 year old a thermos of Chili. At the end of the day I admit its just easier to buy the lunch that the school offers. Could I do it cheaper and healthier, sure and I sometimes do. But I could say the say about those occasional Happy Meals and I don't grumble about those...

At the end of the day the costs and overrides are all about unfunded mandates trickling down, flat or declining revenues, and benefit costs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 58 of58
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The University of Findlay Discussions

Search the The University of Findlay Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Corbin, Hooks Set for Run-off in Treutlen Count... (Jul '08) Aug '11 yep 379
Mom's smoking tied to oral birth defect (Jul '08) Jun '11 MyAdvocates 6
Gays Should Understand the Religious, and Vice ... (Jul '08) May '10 LuLu Ford 452
Springdale Har-Ber coach arrested in rapes (Jul '08) Apr '10 player 18
Cold Case: Investigators try to identify girl f... (Jul '08) Jan '10 Saddened 54
Seven Coronation Lakalaka will not include Tata... (Jul '08) Oct '09 Da Man 100
Cyprus airport bus service to be introduced (Aug '08) Aug '09 Anna 10
•••
•••
•••
•••