Smoking can boost memory and concentration: Study

Jul 14, 2008 | Posted by: arclightzero | Full story: www.rediff.com

Scientists attempting to create a nicotine pill to treat Alzheimer's disease have suggested that smoking can help boost memory and concentration.

Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Jul 16, 2008

Since: Oct 07

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Interesting.

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Judged:

It is more than just interesting. Consider the studies at universities on the medicinal properties of nicotine. Some say that the anti-smoking movement is driven by the profits that would come from smoking cessation products. I would go much further and say that it is driven by that and additionally to new drugs for Parkinsons and especially Alzheimers that may come from nicotine-based drugs. Imagine that the drug companies eliminate tobacco and gain control of nicotine for drugs for medicines that are beyond our imaginations for profit and are sorely needed as the baby boomer population enters old age and these diseases have a previously unimagined consumer need for such drugs.

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Judged:

Its a war big pharma has waged against big tobacco...for the nicotine all based on lies, lawsuits, and scaring the public for smoking bans

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

u cannot own me wrote:
Its a war big pharma has waged against big tobacco...for the nicotine all based on lies, lawsuits, and scaring the public for smoking bans
I spent some time away from our nanny state and I have to say it was quite refreshing.

The whole world does not think like the antis want them to think.
Pisses them off, too.

Que Sera, Sera.
amazed

Warren, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

This explains why I smoke like a chimney while studying for my exams. Unfortunately, my mind often wanders during the actual lectures, so I think, for the sake of our educations, we need to bring smoking back into the classrooms.

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

amazed wrote:
This explains why I smoke like a chimney while studying for my exams. Unfortunately, my mind often wanders during the actual lectures, so I think, for the sake of our educations, we need to bring smoking back into the classrooms.
In the early 70's, smoking was allowed in college classrooms. I never did because it seemed rude, but that did not stop professors from doing so...especially pipe smokers in the English department. No one ever complained, and I know that none of those students died of shs. Mine was a small college with an active alumni, so I do keep track.
anti addiction

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

You are all so damn stupid. They INJECTED nicotine into MICE without all of the OTHER 4000 chemicals, including carcinogens. You are so addcited that you see this as a reason to smoke. Smoking increases the risk of stroke and dementia. Neither stroke or dementia is good for thinking.

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

anti addiction wrote:
You are all so damn stupid. They INJECTED nicotine into MICE without all of the OTHER 4000 chemicals, including carcinogens. You are so addcited that you see this as a reason to smoke. Smoking increases the risk of stroke and dementia. Neither stroke or dementia is good for thinking.
you are in desperate need of a smoke LOL
mrscsi

Benson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

anti addiction wrote:
OK let's look at stupidity.

You're still using AOL 10 years after it became irrelevant.

You're probably are using a Mac (just my guess).

But you're calling us stupid because we understand that smoking "increases risks" but does not "cause" and we decided for ourselves to accept those risks.

And I think you need to change your nickname because anti-addiction flies in the face of your apparent addiction to AOL.

Mr. SCSI http://ryomag.com

Since: Feb 07

Dallastown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

anti addiction wrote:
Being born increases the risk of dying to 100%..

It is GUARANTEED that all those that are born, will die..........of something. You know NOT when, where or how.

Doesn't that just p!ss you control-freak rANTIS off?

ROFLMAO
anti addiction

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

bdjunker wrote:
<quoted text>
Being born increases the risk of dying to 100%..
It is GUARANTEED that all those that are born, will die..........of something. You know NOT when, where or how.
Doesn't that just p!ss you control-freak rANTIS off?
ROFLMAO
At least YOU know how you will die.

Blue in the face, gasping for breath while gurgling your own phlegm deep in your useless lungs.
anti addiction

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

mrscsi wrote:
<quoted text>
OK let's look at stupidity.
You're still using AOL 10 years after it became irrelevant.
You're probably are using a Mac (just my guess).
But you're calling us stupid because we understand that smoking "increases risks" but does not "cause" and we decided for ourselves to accept those risks.
And I think you need to change your nickname because anti-addiction flies in the face of your apparent addiction to AOL.
AOL does not increase my risk of dying. AOL is free. You do not know where I am. That is a good thing.

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

anti addiction wrote:
<quoted text>
At least YOU know how you will die.
Blue in the face, gasping for breath while gurgling your own phlegm deep in your useless lungs.
thats another ignorant false statement, have a smoke

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

anti addiction wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not know where I am. That is a good thing.
haven't see anyone, not one person asking. Don't care how many name changes either, in other words, who gives a flying turd ROFLMAO

“Fredneck County Md”

Since: Feb 08

Small Town

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

anti addiction wrote:
You appear to have suffered both.
mrscsi

Benson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

anti addiction wrote:
<quoted text>
AOL does not increase my risk of dying. AOL is free. You do not know where I am. That is a good thing.
I made my point :-)

So I guess the answer to everything I asked was yes.

Life increases your risk of dying, so you're in the same boat I am. Get over it.

That is of course unless you want to do us all a favor and choose an option for yourself other than living.

I for one am going to live my life to the fullest, regardless of what you little anti-smoking Nazis want to try to tell me to do, I will do what I want to do.

That notion just absolutely puts your panties in a wad, and I for 1 am glad that it does.

I will eat what I want, drink what I want, smoke what I want, and there isn't one thing in the world that you can do to change that.

Get over it, you're not going to win, move on with your life and find some other hobby to pursue.

mrscsi

Benson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Judged:

judging what I and others say as spam, won't change the facts.

You're not winning, you'll never win, just look back in history and see how many fascists actually did wind up on the winning side.

And just because I put my site name with my signature does not make it spam. You need to look at what the definition of spam is.

And I really would appreciate it if you went to my page and check out "when rights go wrong".

The very first article of the Bill of Rights allows for the freedom of speech. We cue antismoking fascists really seek to stamp out. That is of course unless it's your speech, and you demand that right.

So you can mark anything is spam until your little mouse breaks, or your little finger get to hurting.

Either way I and others like me can combat your lies with the truth, and there really isn't anything you can do about it.

rrr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

anti addiction wrote:
NO WE ARE not all stupid YOU said it yourself they injected nicitine into MICE....The human body is NOT A MOUSE we are more complicated and smarter than a stupid mouse. How ca any test with MICE say any conculsion about the HUMAN body...Except for one thing your PRETTY STUPID for making the statement.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2008

Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
In the early 70's, smoking was allowed in college classrooms. I never did because it seemed rude, but that did not stop professors from doing so...especially pipe smokers in the English department. No one ever complained, and I know that none of those students died of shs. Mine was a small college with an active alumni, so I do keep track.
Smoking was allowed in the classrooms until the early 80's.
Sure beat the hell out of the graduate "high school" atmosphere now.

I played a "Mardi Gras" party at my alma mater a couple of year back.

No smoking and........ dry....

At a college....at a Mardi Gras party.

No, this wasn't at Bob Jones University either.

However, I am sure that is how all "mardi gras" parties have been at Bob Jones University since the beginning of time.

Well...on second thought, they probably have never had a "mardi gras" party at BJU, because I am sure they think such things are "of the devil".

Antis......you fit in with the Bob Jones mindset. Use lots of deodorant when wearing those polyester suits if you decide to add that to your "uniform".

We thank you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2008

FWIW, this "mardi gras" party lasted two hours at best.
Thank goodness for contracts from the booking agency.
We got paid in full.

Less than 30 people, too the entire night.
No, the band didn't "suck", antis.

These students so tightly leashed in the colleges will probably have mid-life crisis problems like we've never seen before in history.

It won't be a surprise at all in the next twenty years when we will see the breakdown and revolt against nannyism in way that has never been seen before.
The 60's/70's will pale in comparison.

Even though I am too young to remember the 50's, that decade looked to be more fun than today.

I know you old nannies were the ones who had the panties in a bunch fits over Elvis shaking his ass and later thought the Beatles had "long hair".

God bless Ed Sullivan for being more forward thinking than you ever could dream to be, nannies.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The University of Findlay Discussions

Search the The University of Findlay Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Corbin, Hooks Set for Run-off in Treutlen Count... (Jul '08) Aug '11 yep 379
Mom's smoking tied to oral birth defect (Jul '08) Jun '11 MyAdvocates 6
Gays Should Understand the Religious, and Vice ... (Jul '08) May '10 LuLu Ford 452
Springdale Har-Ber coach arrested in rapes (Jul '08) Apr '10 player 18
Cold Case: Investigators try to identify girl f... (Jul '08) Jan '10 Saddened 54
Seven Coronation Lakalaka will not include Tata... (Jul '08) Oct '09 Da Man 100
Cyprus airport bus service to be introduced (Aug '08) Aug '09 Anna 10
•••
•••