Unintended benefit of smoking bans

Unintended benefit of smoking bans

There are 93 comments on the www.thestar.com story from Jul 13, 2008, titled Unintended benefit of smoking bans. In it, www.thestar.com reports that:

Regulations banning smoking in restaurants were designed to protect the health of nonsmokers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.thestar.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“~ Reality IS Perception ~”

Since: Aug 07

Rockaway!

#81 Jul 15, 2008
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
Very nice sentiments, K...except for one glaring omission. Bleu's ex-husband was a pervert. She left him, not because she decided to take up smoking again, but because he was a PERVERT. Otherwise, VERY NICE words.
I appreciate your elaborating on the true problem, Sheri....thank you.

"Sympathy for the Devil" comes to mind....:-)

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#82 Jul 15, 2008
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate your elaborating on the true problem, Sheri....thank you.
"Sympathy for the Devil" comes to mind....:-)
I feel no sympathy for antis.

Wonder how that ice cream social in hell is going with the fascist 3?
;-)
KHartman

Xenia, OH

#83 Jul 15, 2008
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
He knew I was a smoker and "lied" to me (and himself) by saying he was able to accept it.
Sometimes we'd like to believe we can accept something, but then find out we can't always "live up to our dreams."

==========

Younger Generation
by John Sebastian

"Why must every generation think they're folks are square?
And no matter where they're heads are, they know Mom's ain't there.
Cause' I swore when I was small, that I'd remember when,
I knew what's wrong with them, that I was smaller than.

Determined to remember all the cardinal rules.
Like, sun showers are legal grounds, for cutting school.
I know I have forgotten maybe one or two.
And I hope that I recall them all before the baby's due.
And I'll know he'll have a question or two.

Like, hey pop. Can I go ride my zoom?
It goes two hundred miles an hour, suspended on balloons.
And can I put a droplet of this new stuff on my tongue?
And imagine puffing dragons, while you sit and wreck your lungs.
And I must me permissive, understanding of the younger generation.

And then I know that all I've learned, my kid assumes.
And all my deepest worries must be his cartoons.
And still I'll try to tell him all the things I've done,
relating to what he can do when he becomes a man.
And still he'll stick his fingers in the fan.

And hey pop, my girlfriend's only three.
She's got her own videophone,
and she's taking LSD.
And now that were best friends, she want's to give a bit to me.
But whats the matter Daddy? How come you're turning green?
Can it be that you can't live up to your dreams?"

==========

But, make no mistake --- it was good you dumped that chump!

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#84 Jul 15, 2008
KHartman wrote:
<quoted text>
Just keep them out of the parents dope, but its girls also and been going on for years, nothing new

Oxycontin The Drug Of Choice For Young, White Males

Last Updated:
07-14-08 at 6:38PM

More and more teenagers are turning to their parents' medicine cabinet to get high. Their prescription drug of choice: a pain reliever called oxycontin. It's a disturbing trend of teenage boys getting hooked on a drug as powerful as morphine.

Playing a game of pool in a sober living house on Mount Soledad is helping 20-year-old Joe stay clean. Joe's a recovering drug addict, sober for just two months.

"I started doing drugs when I was 14 - smoking weed, doing coke right off the bat," Joe said.

By the time Joe was 16, he had found his drug of choice - the potent pain killer oxycontin. He took it in pill form and tried smoking it, but mostly he snorted it.

"I was stealing money, selling drugs, robbing houses… anything I could do to get money for the drugs," he said.

Joe fits the demographic of an increasing number of oxycontin addicts: young white males. Alvarado Parkway Institute psychologist Sean O'Hara says he sees six to seven teenagers a week who abuse oxycontin.

"Kids are getting it by forging their own prescriptions. Kids are getting it by buying it on the internet. Kids are getting it by going down to Mexico," he said.

Because oxycontin is expensive on the black market, one of the warning signs for parents is kids stealing money and running up debt.

"A number of clients we've seen here come in with $5,000,$10,000,$20,000 in credit card debt, which is internet drug buying," O'Hara said.

For parents, O'Hara recommends buying an over-the-counter drug test that can detect opiate drugs like oxycontin.

Joe is one of the lucky ones.

"I went to my parents and said 'I need help. I need to go into treatment,'" he said.

Joe found an upscale sober living house that caters to college students and young professionals. It even has a swimming pool. Pacifica Retreat was founded a year ago by - you guessed it - two young white males.

"There is a solution. There are thousands of people recovering from addiction. It's really comforting to know you don't have to do it alone," co-owner Barrett Hammond said.

The program is working for Joe, and now he's on the road to recovery.

"Being around other sober people just makes it so much easier to be sober," he said.

Kicking the oxycontin habit typically involves both inpatient and outpatient treatment that can last up to 12 months.
http://www.cbs8.com/features/healthcast/story ...

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

#85 Jul 15, 2008
Its to bad that they dropped teaching (not badgering) kids about the danger of drugs to worry about a cigarette :(

“Veritas Vincit. Pro Libertate”

peoples republic of Madison

#86 Jul 15, 2008
u cannot own me wrote:
Its to bad that they dropped teaching (not badgering) kids about the danger of drugs to worry about a cigarette :(
Problem is they used lies and scare tactics when they did that too. Problem is when a kid catches adults especially the government in a lie they ignore what little truth there was.

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

#87 Jul 15, 2008
Free_America wrote:
<quoted text>Problem is they used lies and scare tactics when they did that too. Problem is when a kid catches adults especially the government in a lie they ignore what little truth there was.
true, actually those pills are usually prescribed by doctors for the streets. The doctors are the pushers

Rockaway!

#88 Jul 15, 2008
KHartman wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes we'd like to believe we can accept something, but then find out we can't always "live up to our dreams."
==========
Younger Generation
by John Sebastian
"Why must every generation think they're folks are square?
And no matter where they're heads are, they know Mom's ain't there.
Cause' I swore when I was small, that I'd remember when,
I knew what's wrong with them, that I was smaller than.
Determined to remember all the cardinal rules.
Like, sun showers are legal grounds, for cutting school.
I know I have forgotten maybe one or two.
And I hope that I recall them all before the baby's due.
And I'll know he'll have a question or two.
Like, hey pop. Can I go ride my zoom?
It goes two hundred miles an hour, suspended on balloons.
And imagine puffing dragons, while you sit and wreck your lungs.
And I must me permissive, understanding of the younger generation.
And then I know that all I've learned, my kid assumes.
And all my deepest worries must be his cartoons.
And still I'll try to tell him all the things I've done,
relating to what he can do when he becomes a man.
And still he'll stick his fingers in the fan.
And hey pop, my girlfriend's only three.
She's got her own videophone,
and she's taking LSD.
And now that were best friends, she want's to give a bit to me.
But whats the matter Daddy? How come you're turning green?
Can it be that you can't live up to your dreams?"
==========
But, make no mistake --- it was good you dumped that chump!
I sure showed HIM, huh? I should have not started up again, thanked him for the badgering to quit, and THEN sent his ass back to Seattle!.....Hahaha!!! My,,,my,,,,what an imp I am ;-)

Thank you for the words of John Sebastian, K. It's funny, but my girls don't see or feel a generation gap....I think that is wonderful. They love YES, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull,,,,well, you get the picture. They even love the Temptations!!! woo-hoo!

Yes, K; it WAS good that I dumped him....he tweaked and humiliated everyone around him; in an effort to make himself appear perfect. After all, it is easier to criticize others than to improve ourselves; for some, anyway.

^i^

Location hidden

#89 Jul 16, 2008
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
I sure showed HIM, huh? I should have not started up again, thanked him for the badgering to quit, and THEN sent his ass back to Seattle!.....Hahaha!!! My,,,my,,,,what an imp I am ;-)
Thank you for the words of John Sebastian, K. It's funny, but my girls don't see or feel a generation gap....I think that is wonderful. They love YES, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull,,,,well, you get the picture. They even love the Temptations!!! woo-hoo!
Yes, K; it WAS good that I dumped him....he tweaked and humiliated everyone around him; in an effort to make himself appear perfect. After all, it is easier to criticize others than to improve ourselves; for some, anyway.
^i^
Your kids have good taste in music;-)

Rockaway!

#90 Jul 16, 2008
Musician wrote:
<quoted text>
Your kids have good taste in music;-)
Aren't they the bomb? Heheh. I'm glad they can appreciate many kinds of music. I have a problem with country,,,not the old stuff; I seem to not have an ear for it, you know?

Have you heard of Renaissance?

Location hidden

#91 Jul 17, 2008
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't they the bomb? Heheh. I'm glad they can appreciate many kinds of music. I have a problem with country,,,not the old stuff; I seem to not have an ear for it, you know?
Have you heard of Renaissance?
I have always had an interest in all those progressive bands.
I have a fairly recent recording of Anne Haslam with Steve Howe from Yes doing "Turn of the Century".

You would probably like a band called "White Willow" if you like Renaissance. Lots of good new progressive style music is coming out of Scandinavia.

Location hidden

#92 Jul 17, 2008
I'm with you on the country music.

Johnny Cash, George Jones, etc...good stuff.

The new country.....not so much in general. Seems Bon Jovi is playing around with this kind of music. Just saw a show on TV when I was on vacation. Lots of steel guitar in his new stuff. I really wasn't sure it was Bon Jovi until I saw the credits at the end of the concert as it was so different than what I am used to hearing from him.

Whatever works. He will probably get another 20 years out of his career by shifting a little.

I found this weird concerning nanny Mikey Bloomberg's Bon Jovi's Central Park concert.
I heard it was free. 60,000 tickets given out and room only for 50,000 people.

What an inconsistent idiot to allow that.

Doesn't he remember the general admission disaster in Cincy concerning the Who in 1980?

I think that is enough to cement the fact that the fellow is nuts, not to mention his little fascist ideas on other things. Wonder if Central Park is now smokefree?

You know...to make it "a safe place".......

Rockaway!

#93 Jul 17, 2008
Musician wrote:
<quoted text>
I have always had an interest in all those progressive bands.
I have a fairly recent recording of Anne Haslam with Steve Howe from Yes doing "Turn of the Century".
You would probably like a band called "White Willow" if you like Renaissance. Lots of good new progressive style music is coming out of Scandinavia.
Renaissance was a phenomenal band; combining classical with rock. Her voice is beautiful. I have their "Live at Carnegie Hall" CD.....accompanied by the New York Philharmonic.

I'll research White Willow and get back to you, OK?

Have a great day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The University of Findlay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UF students to host African Night Jun '15 lion 2
News Corbin, Hooks Set for Run-off in Treutlen Count... (Jul '08) Aug '11 yep 379
News Mom's smoking tied to oral birth defect (Jul '08) Jun '11 MyAdvocates 6
News Gays Should Understand the Religious, and Vice ... (Jul '08) May '10 LuLu Ford 452
News Springdale Har-Ber coach arrested in rapes (Jul '08) Apr '10 player 18
News Cold Case: Investigators try to identify girl f... (Jul '08) Jan '10 Saddened 54
News Seven Coronation Lakalaka will not include Tata... (Jul '08) Oct '09 Da Man 100
More from around the web