Democrats Are Weighing More Tax Rebat...

Democrats Are Weighing More Tax Rebates, Pelosi Says

There are 104 comments on the www.bloomberg.com story from Jul 15, 2008, titled Democrats Are Weighing More Tax Rebates, Pelosi Says. In it, www.bloomberg.com reports that:

We will be proceeding with another stimulus package

Congressional Democrats are considering a second round of rebates to taxpayers, saying the benefits of the first checks sent to more than 100 million households this year are being eroded by rising energy ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.bloomberg.com.

Individualist

United States

#82 Jul 17, 2008
Just another poster wrote:
<quoted text>
The same obstructionism from the Democrats is duplicated by the Republicans. That is the point I was making. BOTH sides are guilty. Neither side appears willing to compromise.
What I DO see as well is conservative talk show hosts fanning the flames of division. To them everything is either black or white - conservative vs liberal - no shades of anything in between. It's how they keep their audience and how they keep themselves wealthy. I can't speak as much to so called liberal talk radio, but it really doesn't have much of an audience.(Although what I DID hear of Air America was just as bad as what I was hearing from Rush Limbaugh)
Look at these boards. You have people who can't have a civil discussion because they have to lace their posts in invectives like "libtard" and "democRAT" and Repugnican and RepubniCANT. Everything is either all Bill Clinton's fault or all George Bush's fault.
And of course you're right - the voters seem to be divided about 50/50 judging by the results of the last election - although I'm not sure how this one is going to go.
What have the Republican obstructed?
Devil Dog

Phoenix, AZ

#83 Jul 17, 2008
Dajokerman wrote:
<quoted text>
Every expert agrees that this has been the actions have been taking place during 2004 to 2006, so that would place it into the hands of Republicans, how is it the democrats fault that they came into office when the problems that has been growing in the markets came to light and started this whole economic problems.
Anyone with sense and can read a newspaper can tell that all this problems happened years before the democrats took office.
Bush and deregualtions have lead to this crash and the lack of the Repubilcan lead congress between 2000 and 2006 to hold the Admin accountable that has lead to this.
Republicans have no one to blame but themselves for not doing their jobs as congress and being the counter balance to the executive branch of government.
Again, don't take responsibility when your worthless party is in charge.
Devil Dog

Phoenix, AZ

#84 Jul 17, 2008
Dajokerman wrote:
<quoted text>Drilling will not reduce prices in the future, this has been agreed on even by the Bush Admin. appointed men in the enegry dept. The amount of oil that could be brought to markets will not be enough to lower prices of oil and fuel for the American people in the future.
Boy, you are delusional and also a LIAR. The Bush Admin just scrapped the ban on offshore drilling, so how do you get off telling a lie?

Join the rest of us if you can get your head out of your ass.

By the way, how much has oil dropped in price since Bush's scrapping of the ban on offshore drilling?

Yes, about $18 in just four days. So, threatening independence on producing our own oil supplies doesn't reduce prices?

Economics 101, you might want to check it out!
Devil Dog

Phoenix, AZ

#85 Jul 17, 2008
the boop wrote:
in 1926 they built a car called the steam jenny that ran on water and in the late seventies they came out with a synthetic oil that was very cheap to make but si nce this country is all about money
the big three and the oil companies hushed it up and you haven't anything since but the patents are still out there.
Okay, smartypants, if someone had this patent and it worked, wouldn't they make millions by selling it in this market.

Conspiracy theories must be your forte.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#86 Jul 18, 2008
Devil Dog wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, but not drilling to increase the supply and not granting the American people independence from the oil-producing countries, such as Saudi Arabia, is the agenda of the Democrat Party.
How does increasing taxes (Obama's plan) on oil companies lower gas prices?
Answer that one.
It is the major petroleum companies who are now not drilling for oil on their already existing leases.

I hope that you will back up your diatribe by supporting the Democratic "USE IT OR LOOSE IT" legislation to force the oil companies to stop holding US oil in the ground until the price is higher.

Thr problem is not untapped oil under pristeen lands. It is untapped oil under exsting leases.

We sae these same tactic in 1974.
Don't be ignorant, or hypocritical.

“ Impulsive, bone in her teeth”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#87 Jul 18, 2008
Coolmind wrote:
we are ten trillion in debt, and wasting 10 billion a month on Iraq. How will the debt ever be paid off if all the politicians want to cut taxes?
Sounds good now, but it spells our disaster
Most certainly will be a disaster, like borrowing between 600 billion and 1 trillion dollars from the greatest capitalist on the planet. we owe the japs 28% and the chinese 26% of that figure. All to fight a 'war'

“ Impulsive, bone in her teeth”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#88 Jul 18, 2008
the boop wrote:
in 1926 they built a car called the steam jenny that ran on water and in the late seventies they came out with a synthetic oil that was very cheap to make but si nce this country is all about money
the big three and the oil companies hushed it up and you haven't anything since but the patents are still out there.
you're really confused aren't you? Let me help.
Steam Jenny is a generic term for a high temp pressure washing device. Gas was real cheap in the twenties.
Synthetic oil was developed by Nazi Germany after so many allied bombers destroyed their production capacity of now hard to import crude. Mobil oil was the first to exploit this (Mobil One) now Castrol and others do it too.
Individualist

Milledgeville, GA

#89 Jul 18, 2008
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the major petroleum companies who are now not drilling for oil on their already existing leases. It is untapped oil under exsting leases.
Oil Expert: Dem House Leader Misleads CNBC on Oil Lease Drilling

http://www.businessandmedia.org/printer/2008/...

As gas prices increase, Congress is feeling more and more pressures from its constituencies to explore for oil in areas that are off-limits, including the Outer Continental Shelf and in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR).

Many politicians in Washington, D.C. oppose those efforts due to environmental concerns, but House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” on June 12 he’s not opposed to drilling, but said oil companies aren’t using the leases they have.

“Well, there’s nothing wrong with drilling,” Hoyer said.“But the fact of the matter is we have 80 percent of the leases that are currently authorized that are not being drilled upon - 80 percent on gas, 82 percent on natural gas. We have most of the outer continental shelf as well as the on-land, on-the-mainland leases that are not being used.”

Hoyer was interviewed by “Squawk Box” co-hosts Carl Quintanilla and Don Carty. Hoyer wasn’t clear on his numbers – whether 4.5 million barrels or 4.5 millions of gallons a day were being left untapped, but he accused the oil companies of not utilizing the leases they have approved.

“Again, I would repeat – most of the lease-hold places that are now available for drilling are not being used,” Hoyer said.“As a result, if we used the capacity that’s now available, we’d have another 4.5 million barrels a day available to us. I don’t know whether that’s barrels quite frankly or millions of gallons, but the fact of the matter is right now – if the companies would utilize the leases they now have approved, we would have four-and-a-half million more gallons per day in capacity.”

However, according to the Richard Ranger, a senior policy advisor for the American Petroleum Institute (API), there’s no oil to be drilled for in those areas. Ranger also told the Business & Media Institute he was unfamiliar with Hoyer’s 4.5 million figure.

“There are more than 8,500 active leases on the Outer Continental Shelf that cover over 44 million acres,” Ranger said.“Now, over 6,300 of those leases on nearly 34 million acres have no production.”

According to Ranger, the process of pulling crude oil out of the ground is long and complicated and won’t necessarily show immediate results.

“The process of looking at an area that might have oil and gas potential and narrowing your search over time and over a sequence of steps to actually producing oil and gas involves kind of casting a big net first and over time through geologic work,” Ranger said.“[Y]ou prioritize some over others, you may be lucky on those first ones you drill, you may not – then you drill prospects further down your priority list “

Ranger also explained it’s not always a cut-and-dried situation. Some areas will have oil and gas, some won’t and some might have it, but it may not be economically feasible to pump it out of the ground.

“When you drill, you have results that are either sufficient oil or gas to allow production or a dry hole or somewhere in between where you think we may have production but we may need some further work to determine whether this formation, this target is economic to produce. Those steps consume several years from the point of leasing to a point of decision.”

According to federal government estimates, recoverable oil estimates ranges from 600 million barrels at the low end to 9.2 billion barrels at the high end in ANWR.
Devil Dog

Phoenix, AZ

#90 Jul 18, 2008
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the major petroleum companies who are now not drilling for oil on their already existing leases.
I hope that you will back up your diatribe by supporting the Democratic "USE IT OR LOOSE IT" legislation to force the oil companies to stop holding US oil in the ground until the price is higher.
Thr problem is not untapped oil under pristeen lands. It is untapped oil under exsting leases.
Don't be ignorant, or hypocritical.
Please read. Those leased lands are not being drilled on because there is no oil on those lands. They give those leases back once they expire.

Can you please catch up with the news?

“Smart@ss”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#92 Jul 18, 2008
Devil Dog wrote:
<quoted text>Again, don't take responsibility when your worthless party is in charge.
Please, all because it is the democrats that are going to be cleaning up your party's mess doesn't give you a green light to b!tch about it.
Individualist

Milledgeville, GA

#93 Jul 18, 2008
Dajokerman wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, all because it is the democrats that are going to be cleaning up your party's mess doesn't give you a green light to b!tch about it.
Waiting for your reply to my post...

Can't you at least think of the things you claim the Republicans have obstructed..?
Individualist

Milledgeville, GA

#94 Jul 18, 2008
Dajokerman wrote:
<quoted text>
REPOST:

What am I refusing to see? You have presented nothing.

I have presented examples & alternatives.

You have presented laws to make car manufacturers increase fuel efficiency -*yawn*- talk about old and tired.

At least tell me why you are opposed to drilling for American oil..?
Guess who

Las Vegas, NV

#95 Jul 18, 2008
Webster9 wrote:
Stimulus, Shmimulus.
I'm so disappointed in her "leadership."
If you gave Americans the same amount of money that has been given to other countries in the last 7 years what would that add up too?
Guess who

Las Vegas, NV

#96 Jul 18, 2008
- all the immigrants that came to America in the last 7 years...
Guess who

Las Vegas, NV

#97 Jul 18, 2008
Has there been a total in immigrants to America over the last 7 years and the cost to Americans?
Guess who

Las Vegas, NV

#98 Jul 18, 2008
In 2006, the number of immigrants totaled 37.5 million.[2][3]
Guess who

Las Vegas, NV

#99 Jul 18, 2008
No wonder the oxygen levels are getiing sucked up...
Guess who

Las Vegas, NV

#100 Jul 18, 2008
Do Native Americans have any rights? Funding has triples to Africa ans doubled to Larin America...Fid they buy and trade for more slaves?
Guess who

Las Vegas, NV

#101 Jul 18, 2008
Do Native Americans have any rights? Funding has tripled to Africa and doubled to Latin America...did they buy and trade for more slaves?

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#102 Jul 18, 2008
Devil Dog wrote:
<quoted text>Please read. Those leased lands are not being drilled on because there is no oil on those lands. They give those leases back once they expire.
Can you please catch up with the news?
There's one born every minute. You were your minute's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The University of Findlay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UF discussion on Islam to address election rhet... (Oct '16) Dec '16 snorko 5
News Corbin, Hooks Set for Run-off in Treutlen Count... (Jul '08) Jun '16 cemyamsmith 381
News UF students to host African Night (Apr '15) Jun '15 lion 2
News Mom's smoking tied to oral birth defect (Jul '08) Jun '11 MyAdvocates 6
News Gays Should Understand the Religious, and Vice ... (Jul '08) May '10 LuLu Ford 452
News Springdale Har-Ber coach arrested in rapes (Jul '08) Apr '10 player 18
News Cold Case: Investigators try to identify girl f... (Jul '08) Jan '10 Saddened 54
More from around the web