Can Openly Gay Fred Hochberg Get A Commerce Post Nod From Obama This Time?

Feb 22, 2009 | Posted by: Paulathesurfmom | Full story: lezgetreal.com

Before the withdrawal of New Hampshire Senator Judd Gregg, as President Obama’s nominee for Secretary of Commerce, the name Fred Hochberg was seriously tossed around as a possible candidate for that job…

Fred Hochberg is extremely qualified to be Commerce Secretary. He is also openly gay. He would be the first EVER openly gay Cabinet member in the entire history of the United States.

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2009
Brian

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

Judged:

OBAMA IS ANTIGAY, HOW LONG IS IT GOING TO TAKE OUR COMMUNITY TO UNDERSTAND, OBAMA IS NO FRIEND OF GBLT.
Flier

Arvada, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

Ted, Will, or whatever name your using this week....I have to ask why you spend so much of your time basing the GLBT community. Either you're a closet case, just mad at the world....hmmmm, or are you in a straight marriage and henpecked...hmmmm, if so, does your wife know what you're doing?????

No one really gives any serious attention to your stupid, uneducated and unsupported ramblings.

How about crawl back under the bridge with the rest of the trolls!
Flier

Arvada, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

Ted, Will...or whomever you are. I'm quite happy and don't need trolls telling me otherwise. I have better things to do than respond to your stupidity...so, have a nice life under the bridge!
Flier

Arvada, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

Ted, Will, or whomever you are...one last thing before I leave this subject....how come you never respond to the questions as to why you, an "alleged" straight person spend so much time in these posts...again I suspect as many other do that you're nothing more than a very, very unhappy closet case!

Come on out....we'd all like to know what motivates you!

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

Ted wrote:
It is ridiculous to expect a token homosexual appointment. Look at the mess placing an unqualified man in the White House has done, just because of the color of his skin. Obama has given us the largest post election drop in the stock market EVER.
And after only 33 days. Just amazing! Even worse the man has a 60% approval rating from the American public.

Wil you are really, really stupid or absolutely nuts.

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

Brian wrote:
OBAMA IS ANTIGAY, HOW LONG IS IT GOING TO TAKE OUR COMMUNITY TO UNDERSTAND, OBAMA IS NO FRIEND OF GBLT.
You and Will should get married. Between the two of you maybe you'd get a whole brain. Wanna move to Pekin, Ill.?

“Homosapien ”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

Obama is more talk than action with the Gay community, I doubt he'd spend the political capital to nominate a gay person when he's had issues with his other nominees.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2009

I would like the see an open homosexual is a high ranking positon in the Obama admistration. But what I would really like to see is an end to DADT and all who were dishonorably discharged reinstated as HONORABLE!!!

“Choose wisely!”

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2009

Fred Hochberg deserves the job ONLY IF he is the best qualified person for the job, not simply because he is gay.

I'd love to see an out/open homosexual in a Cabinet post - but only if they are qualified for the post.

Face it, we homosexuals have made great strides but an out/open homosexual has to work extra hard to get any cred and has to be extra squeaky clean to stay in a high ranking position.

Obama is a pragmatist and LGBT issues, especially for the duration, are not the nations most pressing concern. First we have this "recession" (nearly a depression), then cutting the deficit (which we just increased by 1.6 Trillion), oh and Medicare and Social Security and Healthcare have not gone anywhere either, then there is the Housing/Banking crisis (they are conjoined)... well, do I need to continue?!?

We LGBT'ers, are not even in the top 10 of issues for Pres. Obama.

What to do?

WORK ON YOUR LOCAL AND STATE LGBT ISSUES FIRST. The rest will come in time. Like water on stone eventually we'll carve out our place, one drop at a time.

Eric

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2009

GREAT post!!!!
gemelk wrote:
Fred Hochberg deserves the job ONLY IF he is the best qualified person for the job, not simply because he is gay.
I'd love to see an out/open homosexual in a Cabinet post - but only if they are qualified for the post.
Face it, we homosexuals have made great strides but an out/open homosexual has to work extra hard to get any cred and has to be extra squeaky clean to stay in a high ranking position.
Obama is a pragmatist and LGBT issues, especially for the duration, are not the nations most pressing concern. First we have this "recession" (nearly a depression), then cutting the deficit (which we just increased by 1.6 Trillion), oh and Medicare and Social Security and Healthcare have not gone anywhere either, then there is the Housing/Banking crisis (they are conjoined)... well, do I need to continue?!?
We LGBT'ers, are not even in the top 10 of issues for Pres. Obama.
What to do?
WORK ON YOUR LOCAL AND STATE LGBT ISSUES FIRST. The rest will come in time. Like water on stone eventually we'll carve out our place, one drop at a time.
Eric

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The New School Discussions

Search the The New School Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bethlehem Twp. resident joins Chesapeake Bay Ma... Jul 1 ROSENBERG 1
John Nash, Mathematician and Researcher (Mar '10) May '14 jaxcity545 4
Justifying wartime atrocities alters memories May '14 humanSpirit 1
Cuban blogger Yoani Sánchez recalls Black ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Don from Canada 6
UNT Jewish Studies Program to present lecture b... (Jan '12) Feb '13 Clayton Leon Winton 2
Kerrey struggling in Nebraska Senate race (Oct '12) Oct '12 Right On 1
India wants China to be more 'sensitive' on Pak... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Indian ZerO is Crap 1
•••
•••