College to spin off Ohio Light Opera

College to spin off Ohio Light Opera

There are 4 comments on the Entertainment story from Aug 30, 2009, titled College to spin off Ohio Light Opera. In it, Entertainment reports that:

The College of Wooster is spinning off its professional opera company into a not-for-profit organization.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Entertainment.

Ian McCloud

Cadiz, OH

#1 Nov 9, 2009
My family have been supporters and graduates of the College of Wooster for over 80 years. One thing that irritates me greatly is the exhorbitant fee $45.00 charged for each performance of the Ohio Light Opera. Having enjoyed very few of these fine light operas because of cost, I have observed that this organization very definitely caters to an elderly, wealthy class. What is the college's take on this? Upon my death and other members of my extended Wooster family, our willed contributions to Wooster will be biased toward a calcuated, proportional cut based on the Ohio Light Opera ticket prices. this will amount to more than enough to build a new dormitory. This may seem spitefuly small in character but is matter of strong principle. How many promising individuals, especially alumnae of modest means, have been denied the pleasure of fine musicals because of the unreasonable costs?
rebel

Columbus, OH

#2 Nov 9, 2009
art is ONLY for elites. they do not respect or care about people different from themselves. in fact judgmental of modest income individuals, it makes them feel superior..which they are not.
Mary

Sapulpa, OK

#3 Jul 19, 2010
Art is not only for the elites. There are many artists and people in general who believe this, but the reason for high ticket prices in non-profit theatres is that this is what creates the possibility of doing such productions-in addition to donations from "elites."

If you are interested in seeing live entertainment and cannot afford tickets, you should write the company and let them know why you aren't there. They need to know. This can give them a window to examine just how many people are not attending due to high prices. They don't charge these prices to keep an elite audience; they do it to keep the organization in business.
Tina

Wooster, OH

#4 Jun 20, 2011
Speaking as a worker in a non-profit organization. The prices of production as well as paying for costume, sets, workers, and singers adds up quickly. Many arts organizations are unable to survive the present climate towards the arts. That is, many people are not willing to spend even $20 on a ticket to a show. In order to compensate for this, arts organizations have to raise ticket prices in order to survive

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The College of Wooster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Corbin, Hooks Set for Run-off in Treutlen Count... (Jul '08) Jun '16 cemyamsmith 381
News Boy banned from kindergarten because of long hair (Jul '08) Jul '15 andet1987 1,521
News Mom's smoking tied to oral birth defect (Jul '08) Jun '11 MyAdvocates 6
News Christian cowboy spreading good news (Jul '08) Jan '11 umm 5
News Springdale Har-Ber coach arrested in rapes (Jul '08) Apr '10 player 18
News Cold Case: Investigators try to identify girl f... (Jul '08) Jan '10 Saddened 54
News Seven Coronation Lakalaka will not include Tata... (Jul '08) Oct '09 Da Man 100
More from around the web