Protests continue against Fort Worth ...

Protests continue against Fort Worth police raid

There are 4 comments on the www.dallasvoice.com story from Jul 12, 2009, titled Protests continue against Fort Worth police raid. In it, www.dallasvoice.com reports that:

Queer Liberaction is organizing a protest for a third consecutive weekend in response to the June 28 raid of the Rainbow Lounge that left one man was hospitalized for a week with head injuries. The rally begins at 7 p.m. at the Tarrant County Courthouse located at 100 E. Weatherford Street in Fort Worth. Four speakers are expected, including Dr. Stephen V. Sprinkle, an associate professor of practical theology at Brite Divinity School at Texas Christian University. The Rev. Carol West, pastor of Celebration Community Church in Fort Worth; Chuck Potter, a Rainbow Lounge patron who witnessed the police and Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission raid; and local radio personality Rick Vanderslice will also speak. Queer Liberaction organizer Blake Wilkerson said, “The Fort Worth Police Department along with the TABC used excessive force in carrying out a routine liquor license check. We in the LGBT community are particularly disgusted by these events, especially given that it took place on the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Rebellions. “LGBT people should be indignant about how the Fort Worth Police Department and the TABC has so brazenly trampled upon the rights of LGBT Americans,” Wilkinson said. “We demand accountability, explanations and action, and we demand them now.” Wilkerson pointed out that while arrests were made at two earlier bar inspections that day, harsh intimidation techniques were only used at Rainbow Lounge and, he says, only the Rainbow Lounge raid resulted in injuries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.dallasvoice.com.

“God loves LGBT folks”

Since: Jun 09

Topeka KS

#1 Jul 12, 2009
It's a start. Letís hope now that the match has been struck in Fort Worth it will start a fire that will blaze from coast to coast. We need to make The Rainbow Lounge a second Stonewall. If we do not create a very lowed ruckus how can we be heard over the hateful sons of perdition?

“Proud to be Mahu”

Since: Sep 07

Sacramento, CA

#2 Jul 12, 2009
Rev Ray T wrote:
It's a start. Letís hope now that the match has been struck in Fort Worth it will start a fire that will blaze from coast to coast. We need to make The Rainbow Lounge a second Stonewall. If we do not create a very lowed ruckus how can we be heard over the hateful sons of perdition?
I agree completely. The pertinent questions we all need to ask ourselves are: if not now, when? If not us, who? and if not here, wherever you may live, then where? We owe it to the next generation, just as we owe so much to the generation before us... let's pay equality forward.
tomas

United States

#3 Jul 12, 2009
Demanding accountability is the only way you will get their attention. The authorities have always wanted us to be invisible, but we no longer are and hopefully never will be again. Fight back!
Marcus

Arlington, TX

#4 Jul 13, 2009
What a waste of time and energy. Queer Liberaction is exaggerating so they can raise more money.

It wasn't a raid, but a inspection - they happen all the time. 300 a year in DFW.

Pretending gays are victims or under police oppression is not helpful.

I'm gay and I think this whole over-reaction is hurting gay people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Christian University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Graduate, 14, youngest ever at Texas Christian ... May 14 Laredo 1
News Fort Worth Woman Found Dead in Upscale Home Nea... May 7 Sunsara Taylor 4
News Hea s young, Christian and relying on God to he... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Suggestion 1
News TCU to add high-level administrator to promote ... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Fckwhitepeople 1
News Can Trump win the presidency without the Hispan... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Mikey 6
News Former Mexican President Fox on Immigrants: 'We... (Dec '15) Dec '15 wild child 5
News Why George W. Bush is more popular than Preside... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Dont Strip My Mind 1
More from around the web