UAlbany students demand fiscal responsibility

Jan 27, 2011 Full story: Capital News 9 11

Wednesday, UAlbany administrators boasted a plan to better the university's future.

Full Story

Since: Apr 10

Truth or Consequences, NM

#1 Jan 28, 2011
Dreamers and hippies... they want a free education, don't want departments cut, and expect the President of the university to magically make money appear out of this air.

Hey morons, where do you think the bulk of the money for the university comes from? It comes from the tuition that you think should be free! It comes from grants that the faculty secure (though not the faculty in those useless languages that got cut...).

This is 2011. Who the hell needs to learn French? It's a langauge of smelly guys who think they are intellectuals and broads who have hair where they shouldn't. And remind me... why do we value this effeminate language? Italian? It's a language of pseudo-macho guys who live with their parents until they are 40. Buh-bye.
Overseer

Albany, NY

#2 Jan 28, 2011
Time to cut the EOP programs. Those people are parasites.
Lord Haw Haw

Troy, NY

#3 Jan 28, 2011
It is NOT time to cut EOP, but rather to make certain EOP students graduate with a degree. The graduation rate of EOP is less than 40% after 6 years. I want EOP graduates working and paying taxes. The alternative for them is social services & that costs the taxpayers. Dan Carver is right on the money. French @ UAlbany had few students and hardly any majors. The creepy faculty in that department look at their positions as entitlements and not as privileges to serve the public. Go back to France you nattering nabobs of intellectual snobbery.
CaptainWhizBang

Schenectady, NY

#4 Jan 28, 2011
Lord Haw Haw wrote:
It is NOT time to cut EOP, but rather to make certain EOP students graduate with a degree. The graduation rate of EOP is less than 40% after 6 years. I want EOP graduates working and paying taxes. The alternative for them is social services & that costs the taxpayers. Dan Carver is right on the money. French @ UAlbany had few students and hardly any majors. The creepy faculty in that department look at their positions as entitlements and not as privileges to serve the public. Go back to France you nattering nabobs of intellectual snobbery.
All I ever see coming out of EOP programs are barbers and cosmetologists.
Lord Haw Haw

Troy, NY

#5 Jan 28, 2011
CaptainWhizBang wrote:
<quoted text>
All I ever see coming out of EOP programs are barbers and cosmetologists.
Such classes (Barbers, cosmotologists)are NOT offered by the EOP program at UAlbany. The students who do graduate from UAlbany EOP go on to be teachers, physicians, lawyers, CPA'S etc. They become high-end professionals earning high end salaries. You apparently are thinking of some other training program offered by the state.
CaptainWhizBang

Schenectady, NY

#6 Jan 28, 2011
Lord Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>Such classes (Barbers, cosmotologists)are NOT offered by the EOP program at UAlbany. The students who do graduate from UAlbany EOP go on to be teachers, physicians, lawyers, CPA'S etc. They become high-end professionals earning high end salaries. You apparently are thinking of some other training program offered by the state.
I don't believe you. Oh, maybe a VERY small percentage go on to become doctors, but I simply don't buy your story.
I need facts.
RichterScale9

Schenectady, NY

#7 Jan 28, 2011
First of all you're not getting into medical school with training from EOP!

I know that for a fact.
Lord Haw Haw

Troy, NY

#8 Jan 28, 2011
RichterScale9 wrote:
First of all you're not getting into medical school with training from EOP!
I know that for a fact.
graduates of the EOP program meet the identical performance standards that regularly admitted students meet to receive a bachelor's degree. EOP grads are also medical school graduates and practicing medicine, dentistry, law, teaching etc. Your statement above is simply uninformed. BTW-EOP is a state-wide SUNY program stands for Educational Opportunity Program.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#9 Jan 28, 2011
Lord Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>graduates of the EOP program meet the identical performance standards that regularly admitted students meet to receive a bachelor's degree. EOP grads are also medical school graduates and practicing medicine, dentistry, law, teaching etc. Your statement above is simply uninformed. BTW-EOP is a state-wide SUNY program stands for Educational Opportunity Program.
Who the f*ck are you trying to kid? EOP graduates about as many future doctors as I have balls.

It's another program for kids who fucked up and are "academically unprepared" for regular admission...in others words, another free-pass for minorities.

I hope they cut the whole EOP. Let some white kids catch a break, for once.

“Strike NY, STRIKE!!!”

Since: Jul 08

Rotterdam NY

#10 Jan 29, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong but...

Doesn't the tuition go into the general fund just to get given back by the legislature in the budget process?

If so... do they get more or less back?

If so... do we just have to reform this practice so SUNY tuition doesn't go toward building bridges?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#11 Jan 29, 2011
These kids who are asking for SUNYA to excercise fiscal responsibility had better be careful what they ask for, because "fiscal responsibilty" might just mean doubling their tution, increasing class-size, and cutting student services.

Fiscal responsibility is a bitch...when you're the one it hurts!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

SUNY Albany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Students speak: Celebrating Christmas as an ath... Dec '14 hey 12
PTSD can develop even without memory of the tra... (Aug '14) Aug '14 humanSpirit 2
Journal of Electronic Materials Announces New E... (Jul '14) Jul '14 georgenardis 1
Ugandan wins prestigious US award (May '14) May '14 kizito 1
Planet Fitness to open first Albany... (Nov '10) May '14 zeldo 4
Albany Police investigating Second Avenue robbery (Mar '14) Apr '14 zeldo 2
Minority voters growing force in NY elections (Mar '14) Mar '14 Drilling for the ... 2
More from around the web