Nearly a Third of Americans Are Arres...

Nearly a Third of Americans Are Arrested by 23, Study Says

There are 30 comments on the www.nytimes.com story from Dec 19, 2011, titled Nearly a Third of Americans Are Arrested by 23, Study Says. In it, www.nytimes.com reports that:

The study, the first since the 1960s to look at the arrest histories of a national sample of adolescents and young adults over time, found that 30.2 percent of the 23-year-olds who participated reported having been arrested for an offense other than a minor traffic violation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.nytimes.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Yo Emper

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Dec 19, 2011
Dr. Bill_mr! Study Said...U mean Dr. Watson or Amigo Topix said? ;)

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#2 Dec 19, 2011
Yo Emper wrote:
Dr. Bill_mr! Study Said...U mean Dr. Watson or Amigo Topix said? ;)
And how many years did you get?

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#3 Dec 19, 2011
There are more people incarcerated in the United States than any other country on earth. Sounds almost 3rd world until you realize that the legal system is an industry. This is why marijuana will NEVER be legalized. There is too much money made from it, and I'm not talking drug dealers.

My town has become almost a police state. They find any and every excuse to pull someone over. We actually kind of live in fear of them. It hasn't reduced the crime rate here one iota, but it's made so much money for the legal system that they've been able to build a huge new 4-story jail.

I don't dislike police officers. I think they have a dangerous job and don't get enough respect. BUT...it's the money-hungry community leaders who put pressure on the officers and make them bullies rather than authority figures we should be able to trust.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Dec 19, 2011
Who are all the lawless hoodlums? I've never been arrested in my entire life, and I'm slightly older than 23. Here's a thought- stop breaking the law and maybe you won't get arrested!
Tom

Crozet, VA

#5 Dec 19, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Who are all the lawless hoodlums? I've never been arrested in my entire life, and I'm slightly older than 23. Here's a thought- stop breaking the law and maybe you won't get arrested!
That would be too simple

Location hidden

#6 Dec 19, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
You haven't even lived half as long as I have, so wait until life has dealt you a few more blows before you think it's so darn easy.

“AVAUNCEZ!!”

Since: Aug 07

Eldora Iowa

#7 Dec 19, 2011
lol, a night in the pokey builds character!

Location hidden

#8 Dec 19, 2011
sailor310 wrote:
lol, a night in the pokey builds character!
An undeserved arrest or felony ruins lives.

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Dec 19, 2011
PayThat CEO wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't even lived half as long as I have, so wait until life has dealt you a few more blows before you think it's so darn easy.
Oh yes, every loser has an excuse why they just had to break the law.
Mike

Tampa, FL

#10 Dec 19, 2011
I wonder what the numbers are by race
gumbo

United States

#11 Dec 19, 2011
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004896.html
blacks 50% for murder
robbery 56%... and they are only 13 percent of the population..
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#12 Dec 19, 2011
OBAMAS LEGECY1..High Unemployment among the young!
HUSSEIN PROMISED them a LOT!...but STIFFED THEM....They will not even vote this time around...Some join the 99%...other live on crime...With unemployment in African American Community's over 20%...They reflect the Frustration....Soon All will Reflect Despair and MISERY of HUSSION!!.Yes ITS CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN....OBAMAS CHANGE...GOD DAMMING AMERICA

Look At Greece!and Europe,..Get a JOB in Egypt!
Jeebus Fricassee

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Dec 19, 2011
PayThat CEO wrote:
I don't dislike police officers. I think they have a dangerous job and don't get enough respect....
I think a lot of them (at least in big cities) are power mad sadists. And I believe a good number get moolah from drug cartels.

All you have to do is find out the percentage of homicides that go unsolved in a particular city to judge how abusive the police are there, since that stat hinges largely on public cooperation.

The public is less likely to cooperate with systemically abusive departments.
Jeebus Fricassee

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Dec 19, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes, every loser has an excuse why they just had to break the law.
That doesn't mean all those arrested are actually guilty, something you seem unable to grasp. Or guilty of anything terribly important in criminal terms, going back to the insane war on drugs (but not pharma) issue.
Yo Emper

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Dec 19, 2011
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
And how many years did you get?
U should never ask da Emper dat question!!!;) if U can find mi then TAO wil let you know ;) but U can ask astronomy.net about mi yEAR ;)

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

#16 Dec 19, 2011
PayThat CEO wrote:
There are more people incarcerated in the United States than any other country on earth. Sounds almost 3rd world until you realize that the legal system is an industry. This is why marijuana will NEVER be legalized. There is too much money made from it, and I'm not talking drug dealers.
My town has become almost a police state. They find any and every excuse to pull someone over. We actually kind of live in fear of them. It hasn't reduced the crime rate here one iota, but it's made so much money for the legal system that they've been able to build a huge new 4-story jail.
I don't dislike police officers. I think they have a dangerous job and don't get enough respect. BUT...it's the money-hungry community leaders who put pressure on the officers and make them bullies rather than authority figures we should be able to trust.
what is your town? they find every excuse to pull you over? sounds like you are paranoid. are they out to get you? and those community leaders--they literally make the police become bullies? wow! they must be real meanies!

Tawas City, Michigan

#17 Dec 20, 2011
Jeebus Fricassee wrote:
<quoted text>
That doesn't mean all those arrested are actually guilty, something you seem unable to grasp. Or guilty of anything terribly important in criminal terms, going back to the insane war on drugs (but not pharma) issue.
And now comes the justification that some crimes are okay because they're not "real" crimes. Oh I'm sure they're all innocent, just like everyone in prison- their lawyer f'd them.....

Excuses, excuses.
Pat Robertson s Payday

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Dec 20, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
And now comes the justification that some crimes are okay because they're not "real" crimes. Oh I'm sure they're all innocent, just like everyone in prison- their lawyer f'd them.....
Excuses, excuses.
That's the entire point: You keep using the word "all."

The criminal justice system is for profit, populated by sadists and as messed up as any other large bureaucracy.

That doesn't mean no one is guilty as charged. Do you want to continue dissembling like a fundie, or would you rather have some more friendly chit chat with a racist, anti Semitic, pedo, imo, like you always do with Daniel P., et. al.? Goddamn you're dumb.

Tawas City, Michigan

#19 Dec 20, 2011
Pat Robertson s Payday wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the entire point: You keep using the word "all."
The criminal justice system is for profit, populated by sadists and as messed up as any other large bureaucracy.
That doesn't mean no one is guilty as charged. Do you want to continue dissembling like a fundie, or would you rather have some more friendly chit chat with a racist, anti Semitic, pedo, imo, like you always do with Daniel P., et. al.? Goddamn you're dumb.
I'd rather people stop excusing those who break the law just because a few may be innocent. If you're innocent, then a jury of your peers will find you not guilty. If a jury of your peers find you guilty, then you're guilty.

Now go boo-hoo about all the "innocent" people in jail to someone who gives a damn.
Marcus Bachmann s Poke

Philadelphia, PA

#20 Dec 20, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd rather people stop excusing those who break the law just because a few may be innocent. If you're innocent, then a jury of your peers will find you not guilty. If a jury of your peers find you guilty, then you're guilty.
Now go boo-hoo about all the "innocent" people in jail to someone who gives a damn.
Well at least you switched from your insane, disingenuous "all" to a more simply ignorant "few" who may be innocent.

Wow.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

SUNY Albany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UAlbany Hate Crime Accusers Charged With Assaul... (Feb '16) Mar '16 Ozzie King Of Zyl... 4
News TU+ Authorities shared 'contradictory' statemen... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Bernard 1
News Cecil and Caitlyn heat up the Halloween costume... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Truth 1
News Tristin M. Buckstad (Jan '14) Aug '15 tjbuckstad-russo 2
News Students speak: Celebrating Christmas as an ath... (Dec '14) Dec '14 yuk 11
News PTSD can develop even without memory of the tra... (Aug '14) Aug '14 humanSpirit 2
News Journal of Electronic Materials Announces New E... (Jul '14) Jul '14 georgenardis 1
More from around the web