UAlbany language cuts spark petition

UAlbany language cuts spark petition

There are 10 comments on the Times Union story from Nov 15, 2010, titled UAlbany language cuts spark petition. In it, Times Union reports that:

More than 13,000 people from around the world have signed an online petition in an effort to save the French, Russian and Italian foreign language programs targeted for closure at the University of Albany .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times Union.

Since: Apr 10

Truth or Consequences, NM

#1 Nov 15, 2010
FTFA: "Russian's classification as a "critical need" language by the U.S. government and New York's large Italian-American population."

Then let the federal government and those deigo, WOP, Guinea bastards foot the bill for those programs.

Also FTFA: "The petition focuses less on theater and the classics, with Josh Wilson, assistant director of the School of Russian and Asian Studies, saying it was drafted "before the authors knew of additional cuts planned to" those programs."

Nonsense. All of those cuts were announced at the same time. You chose to ignore them because they don't teach languages.

Modern foreign languages have very little value.
Spanish is a langage spoken by uncultured people who work the dirt to make their living. It's as useless as teats on a bull. French? Bah... it's a language that hasn't had international prominence for nearly 200 years.

Students should be encouraged to learn Latin. If we are going to force them to learn a modern foreign language it should be Chinese or Russian.

Case in point:
-- The language of internation business: English.

-- The language of academic writing: primarily English. Some important science journals are published in German. Otherwise, unless you are in a language discipline, you are almost certainly writing in English-- no matter what langage you speak in conversation.

-- English is the official language of 115 countries. French is the second most common* with a mere 35.

*French is an official language in 35 countries-- it is actually #9 in terms of the number of people speaking it (about 200 million).
zeldo

Middleburgh, NY

#2 Nov 15, 2010
Dan Carver wrote:
FTFA: "Russian's classification as a "critical need" language by the U.S. government and New York's large Italian-American population."
Then let the federal government and those deigo, WOP, Guinea bastards foot the bill for those programs.
Also FTFA: "The petition focuses less on theater and the classics, with Josh Wilson, assistant director of the School of Russian and Asian Studies, saying it was drafted "before the authors knew of additional cuts planned to" those programs."
Nonsense. All of those cuts were announced at the same time. You chose to ignore them because they don't teach languages.
Modern foreign languages have very little value.
Spanish is a langage spoken by uncultured people who work the dirt to make their living. It's as useless as teats on a bull. French? Bah... it's a language that hasn't had international prominence for nearly 200 years.
Students should be encouraged to learn Latin. If we are going to force them to learn a modern foreign language it should be Chinese or Russian.
Case in point:
-- The language of internation business: English.
-- The language of academic writing: primarily English. Some important science journals are published in German. Otherwise, unless you are in a language discipline, you are almost certainly writing in English-- no matter what langage you speak in conversation.
-- English is the official language of 115 countries. French is the second most common* with a mere 35.
*French is an official language in 35 countries-- it is actually #9 in terms of the number of people speaking it (about 200 million).
dan, the puerto ricans aint going to like your statement (Main).....
Lord Haw Haw

Cohoes, NY

#3 Nov 15, 2010
Dan Carver is all knowing. The French lost Canada at the Plains of Abraham(1759)to the British during the French and Indian War and Napolean sold Louisiana to Thomas Jefferson for $15 million in 1803. Since then the French language in North America is essentially confined to the sparsely inhabited Province of Quebec and white trash in the Louisiana bayou. In other words French language and French culture don't count for poo in the USA. The SUNY professors teaching these languages will find out soon enough that taxpayers could care less about their subject. The SUNY President made a fine decision in eliminating low enrollment majors and consequestly saving the taxpayers money. Mr Carver--what other majors should be cut??
zeldo

Middleburgh, NY

#4 Nov 15, 2010
Lord Haw Haw wrote:
Dan Carver is all knowing. The French lost Canada at the Plains of Abraham(1759)to the British during the French and Indian War and Napolean sold Louisiana to Thomas Jefferson for $15 million in 1803. Since then the French language in North America is essentially confined to the sparsely inhabited Province of Quebec and white trash in the Louisiana bayou. In other words French language and French culture don't count for poo in the USA. The SUNY professors teaching these languages will find out soon enough that taxpayers could care less about their subject. The SUNY President made a fine decision in eliminating low enrollment majors and consequestly saving the taxpayers money. Mr Carver--what other majors should be cut??
Lordy, Lordy.......... we have a college educated dude amongst us.......

At least you have more brains than that little bruno gay guy ......
Big Bruno

Pompano Beach, FL

#5 Nov 15, 2010
zeldo wrote:
<quoted text>
Lordy, Lordy.......... we have a college educated dude amongst us.......
At least you have more brains than that little bruno gay guy ......
And your supposition is erroneous...in all measures, and none of my programs are targeted for closure until I'm done petitioning you.
driscoll

Schroon Lake, NY

#6 Nov 15, 2010
English first. Tuition is so over priced.Go Abroad .Most students are on loans. My son took Sign language last year, to meet his requirement.But if you have a dllar tree in the back yard go for it
zeldo

Middleburgh, NY

#7 Nov 16, 2010
Big Bruno wrote:
<quoted text> And your supposition is erroneous...in all measures, and none of my programs are targeted for closure until I'm done petitioning you.
Petition this;;;;;;;;sweeet buns..........

are you still looking for your daddy ??????????
Big Bruno

Pompano Beach, FL

#8 Nov 16, 2010
zeldo wrote:
<quoted text>
Petition this;;;;;;;;sweeet buns..........
are you still looking for your daddy ??????????
Oh, Daddy! I just knew it was you!
zeldo

Middleburgh, NY

#9 Nov 16, 2010
you got the wrong person.

go down to the bad side of town, I'm sure he be hanging around on the corner with the rest of the dreggs of society...
Big Bruno

Pompano Beach, FL

#10 Nov 16, 2010
zeldo wrote:
you got the wrong person.
go down to the bad side of town, I'm sure he be hanging around on the corner with the rest of the dreggs of society...
But you're my chosen daddy, so start cooperating or I'll have to turn you over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

SUNY Albany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hurricane Maria a reminder of 'second-class' st... Oct '17 Covfeve 8
News UAlbany student facing trial in Halloween sexua... (Sep '16) Mar '17 Steve 4
News The state of residential solar power (Feb '17) Feb '17 Solarman 1
News Racial disparities persist in breast cancer (Nov '16) Nov '16 Margaret Sanger 3
News UAlbany Hate Crime Accusers Charged With Assaul... (Feb '16) Mar '16 Ozzie King Of Zyl... 4
News TU+ Authorities shared 'contradictory' statemen... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Bernard 1
News Cecil and Caitlyn heat up the Halloween costume... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Truth 1
More from around the web