David Rodrigues fills Ward Three seat

There are 24 comments on the Everett Independent story from Jun 10, 2010, titled David Rodrigues fills Ward Three seat. In it, Everett Independent reports that:

The Everett Common Council voted unanimously Monday night to have David Rodrigues fill the Ward Three seat vacated by longtime Councilor Sal DiDomenico who resigned last month after being elected the new State Senator.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Everett Independent.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Question

AOL

#1 Jun 11, 2010
I wish the new councilman well.
Get a Clue

Boston, MA

#2 Jun 11, 2010
To bad the people of Everett did not get a chance to vote..... I bet a lot of people did/do not realize he is none other than the Chief of Staff's Future husband..... Can you say Favortism??????
I Love Everett

AOL

#3 Jun 11, 2010
I saw Lenny Jordan speak (or try to !!)at the cc meeting ... Is he always like this ??? I don't think he put two words together coherently ...I had no idea who the other candidate was but at least he could speak ....
speaker

Medford, MA

#4 Jun 12, 2010
can the mayor speak? NO.

he had to take professional classes after he became mayor to learn and he still cant speak.

I'm not faulting lenny on his speaking skills. I fault the common council for not following their own gentlemen's agreements which mean crap. They will be diminished soon so it does not matter. They proved it more than ever that they are a waste of money and a waste of time.
AMCAMX

Malden, MA

#5 Jun 13, 2010
The COMMON COUNCIL IS A JOKE, CAN NOT MAKE A DECISION ON THERE OWN, AS SHOWN BY NOT DOING THE RIGHT THING IN VOTING LENNY JORDAN AS IT SHOULD HAVE, THE MAYOR PULLED THE STRINGS, HAS ANOTHER VOTE FOR HIMSELF, THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO GET RID OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, IT IS SAD, THE COMMON COUNCIL VOTED THIS WAY, BUT THEY ARE SCARED ABOUT VOTES, IF NOTHING MORE, THE CITIZENS OF EVERETT SHOULD REALIZE THIS WHEN IT COMES ELECTION TIME, 3 COMMON COUNCIL MEMBERS STOOD UP, THE REST ARE RUMP SWABS, IT IS SAD, THE CITIZENS OF EVERETT AND THE CHARTER REVIEW BOARD SHOULD VOTE NO COMMON COUNCIL, AS THEY CAN NOT FOLLOW THEIR OWN GENTLEMEN AGREEMENTS.ALSO IN THE MEETINGS YOU CAN SEE AND HEAR ALL THE WINDBAGS WHO WANT TV TIME.
AMCAMX

Malden, MA

#6 Jun 13, 2010
1 QUICK QUESTION,WHO IS DAVID RODRIGUES, I NEVER HERD OR SEEN HIM RUN FOR ANY OFFICE, AND I HAVE LIVED IN EVERETT FOR 45 YEARS,HOW DOES THE COMMON COUNCIL AND THE MAYOR ALLOW THIS, IT IS SAD THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN DID NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO LOOK IN TO THIS, THE CITIZENS SHOULD HAVE HAD A VOICE IN THIS , INSTEAD OF HAVING IT STUFFED IN OUR FACES.
Hope

Medford, MA

#7 Jun 13, 2010
He's the Chief of staff...aka "mayor in training" fiance. To me it' s a conflict because this Rodriguez guy is not going to question his "fiance'

The common council is a joke and one person (Lenny Jordan) was not going to make it crumble. The CC should have done the right thing and abided by the gentlemens agreement that THEY implemented years ago. If they did not want to follow it, then a request should have been made that they are no longer abiding by it but that never happened.

It's obvious that the mayor is trying to take control. Just look at his appointments for the zoning board. Something much bigger is coming up.
give me a break

Everett, MA

#8 Jun 13, 2010
with regards to the "gentleman's agreement" they don't always vote the 4th person in. They didn't vote VanCampen in and he was the 4th person!
I watched Mr Jordan speak and I'm happy that he was not voted in! Forget whatever made up, not on the books, policy people think the CC has they voted for the more intelligent of the two who will probably do a better job.
In addition to, Mr. Jordan came in 5th place when there were 5 cands and 4th place when there were 4 cands. Obviously the people never wanted him.
Why Oh Why

Medford, MA

#9 Jun 13, 2010
I never heard of any "agreement" but I can understand why the CC voted against Jordan. I know voters in W3 who would have entered the race if Jordan was the only candidate. I suspect he lost 2 elections in a row because the residents did not want him. As far as the relationship of Rodriguez to the Chief of Staff, his background alone should encourage him to vote the right way. Also, do you really think he will cow tow to Murphy. I doubt it. Let's give him a chance and see how he does.
wired

Medford, MA

#10 Jun 13, 2010
I think this is a question for the Ethics Commission as to a city council voting in the fiance of a Chief of Staff over someone that was on the ballot. The city clerk has records of the gentlemen's agreement as to if a vacant seat becomes available, that the 4th person would get the seat. Van Campen didnt get it because big bird was working her pension as she is today.
CITY WIDE

Malden, MA

#11 Jun 14, 2010
Do you think the city clerk will do any thing about this, I THINK NOT,after all IT IS a life time job, sad but true,also this job ( CITY CLERK)should be for 4 years only, and have the CANDIDATE apply for it again, or have the CITIZENS VOTE ON IT, what a joke.THE ETHICS COMMISSION SHOULD LOOK IN TO ALL THE POLITICS IN EVERETT.
So Tired

Gloucester, MA

#12 Jun 14, 2010
Anytime people don't agree with something done in this city the cry goes out for Ethics to investigate. What a joke. If you checked into what procedures are allowed first, you would make more sense talking. As it is you talk from you butts.
Get a Clue

Boston, MA

#13 Jun 14, 2010
So Tired wrote:
Anytime people don't agree with something done in this city the cry goes out for Ethics to investigate. What a joke. If you checked into what procedures are allowed first, you would make more sense talking. As it is you talk from you butts.
It should go to the Ethics Commission just like when Erin what's her name was up there as the Chief of Staff and "The Mayor" wanted to appoint her to 2 positions and save the CITY money wasn't that a conflict of interest then???? WHY IS THIS NOT A CONFLICT??????
city wide

Malden, MA

#14 Jun 14, 2010
I Love Everett wrote:
I saw Lenny Jordan speak (or try to !!)at the cc meeting ... Is he always like this ??? I don't think he put two words together coherently ...I had no idea who the other candidate was but at least he could speak ....
Did you ever hear KAY HICKS, JOE KING AND OUR MAYOR just to name a few, so do not put anyone else down.
So Tired

Gloucester, MA

#15 Jun 14, 2010
to "Get a Clue" Erin was a city employee and the two different positions were a conflict because the COS works for the Mayor while the Solicitor works for the city (employees, officials and residents). That is where the conflict comes in. Rodrigues and Murphy are not married (yet) and there is nothing in the law that prohibits him from this position.

to "City Wide" exactly why we don't need another person who can't articulate their thoughts. "I Love Everett" is right in the description of the speeches.
city wide

Malden, MA

#16 Jun 14, 2010
So Tired wrote:
to "Get a Clue" Erin was a city employee and the two different positions were a conflict because the COS works for the Mayor while the Solicitor works for the city (employees, officials and residents). That is where the conflict comes in. Rodrigues and Murphy are not married (yet) and there is nothing in the law that prohibits him from this position.
to "City Wide" exactly why we don't need another person who can't articulate their thoughts. "I Love Everett" is right in the description of the speeches.
so if they were married the law would prohibit it?
So Tired

Gloucester, MA

#17 Jun 14, 2010
No, as with any other position, you are entitled to work. A voting conflict would occur if it directly affected her job, i.e., salary.
more missing posts

Medford, MA

#18 Jun 14, 2010
To answer the missing posts about the 4th runner up. Thanks for deleting those....Benedict!

I believe that the city council voted for Paris Simpson Gregory Paris Gregory in instead of Van Campen because (just like our mayor) they are afraid of anyone smarter than them, and thatís not too hard to find.

Someone please tell me how voting her in was in the best interest of the city over Mr. Van Campen? It was all POLITCAL and the games are still being played today, only itís so sad because itís with the budget, and peopleís livelihoods.
Wilson

United States

#19 Jun 15, 2010
more missing posts wrote:
I believe that the city council voted for Paris Simpson Gregory Paris Gregory in instead of Van Campen because (just like our mayor) they are afraid of anyone smarter than them.
You don't actually think that the Council voted for Rodrigues over Jordan because they were afraid that Jordan is smarter than them? Jordan is a can of worms. Between the lies he spread over the last two campaigns and the vandalism to other politicians signs, you can't expect the Council to elect a troublemaker even if he ran in the last two elections. Additionally he came in last on both elections. That's not even touching on the rumors of him drinking on duty with the Auxilaries. Rodrigues is the lesser of two evils and if the voters of Ward 3 feel differently, then they will vote accordingly next year. Good luck Dave!
GARY

Medford, MA

#20 Jun 15, 2010
Wilson wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't actually think that the Council voted for Rodrigues over Jordan because they were afraid that Jordan is smarter than them? Jordan is a can of worms. Between the lies he spread over the last two campaigns and the vandalism to other politicians signs, you can't expect the Council to elect a troublemaker even if he ran in the last two elections. Additionally he came in last on both elections. That's not even touching on the rumors of him drinking on duty with the Auxilaries. Rodrigues is the lesser of two evils and if the voters of Ward 3 feel differently, then they will vote accordingly next year. Good luck Dave!
Where's the proof about the lies and the vandalism? All made up by GARY who did not like the competition. It's about following a consistent set of guidelines not who speaks better and had everyone work on his overboard curriculum vitae. It was overkill and their is a reason. He's another mayors rumpswab.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suffolk University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Paleologos on the poll: Gay marriage Apr 30 Machbuster 110
News Paleologos on the poll: Gay marriage Apr '15 Belle Sexton 4
News Why is violent crime so rare in Iceland (May '13) Oct '14 Potato 12
News Poll: A deadlock in Iowa's key Senate race (Aug '14) Aug '14 Le Jimbo 3
News Appointment to the Federal Bridge Corporation L... (Jun '14) Jun '14 dragonfly 1
News Avellone deserves spot on the ballot (May '14) Jun '14 sfgawege 2
News Peter Lucas: Rescuing Oss heroes from history's... (May '14) May '14 aleksandra 2
More from around the web