Why is violent crime so rare in Iceland

Why is violent crime so rare in Iceland

There are 15 comments on the Newsday story from May 16, 2013, titled Why is violent crime so rare in Iceland. In it, Newsday reports that:

Iceland is awash in guns, yet it has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the world.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

scatobsessor

Montréal, Canada

#1 May 16, 2013
most probable reason ?
Icelanders are one big family and it's a very homogeneous country. They don't have diversity there and they're doing quite fine without it.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#2 May 23, 2013
I'm pretty sure they dont watch too much TV or they dont watch at all :D
a lutchman

Kópavogur, Iceland

#3 Jun 4, 2013
Island is the hart of the world it is there for the place to develop test new ideas
a lutchman

Kópavogur, Iceland

#4 Jun 4, 2013
island is the hart to test new ideas . i will develop an alfabet just by changing a drawijng 26 times
mike jacksons stepmom

Paterson, NJ

#5 Jun 18, 2013
America is a disgrace, so ashamed to call myself one. Our culture sucks and everyone owns a gun. And we cant go without a war. Screw this country, I give up on it. Let the world know. Usa. Sucks
umm

United States

#6 Jun 18, 2013
Let me guess. Few kneegros.
Ois

Reykjavík, Iceland

#7 Jun 28, 2013
umm wrote:
Let me guess. Few kneegros.
Yes, there are relatively few "kneegros". But those who are "kneegros" blend in just fine, thank you very much!
They blend in so fine that - few as the "kneegros" are - I stood in a queue recently behind a "kneegro" couple who spoke to one another in flawless Icelandic. In fact both were born and bred here.
So please f*** off with the racist shit.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#8 Jun 28, 2013
Ois wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there are relatively few "kneegros". But those who are "kneegros" blend in just fine, thank you very much!
They blend in so fine that - few as the "kneegros" are - I stood in a queue recently behind a "kneegro" couple who spoke to one another in flawless Icelandic. In fact both were born and bred here.
So please f*** off with the racist shit.
Well said Ois n___n. What do you think about Latin-American people, any of them over there O_O?:D
Ois

Reykjavík, Iceland

#9 Jun 29, 2013
Romita wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said Ois n___n. What do you think about Latin-American people, any of them over there O_O?:D
Yes, quite a few, although I haven't looked at the numbers, and the stereotypical Latin-American coloring applies to many other parts of the world as well, so you really can't tell whether someone obviously "non-nordic-colored" (forgive me the expression :-) is Latin-American, Arabic, Greek etc.

In any case, since I'm writing this, I recall an article in Morgunblaðið years ago, a sort of personal-interest story of the wekk, where a few exchange students were interviewed. One of them was a girl from Guatemala, who first realized after coming to Iceland, that she had had a headache all her life. For her it was until then just a way of life, but then she lived in a cooler climate for a while, and then realized that something was different. Her head didn't hurt anymore.:-)

All the best
Ois

Reykjavík, Iceland

#10 Jun 29, 2013
PS: As to what I think of Latin-Americans. I really don't care, where people come from, as long as they are civilized and obey the law, and most of our immigrants are - about the same percentage as those who are "pure" Icelandic. I have no preference for one part of the world or the other.

All the best
Jet666

Hawthorn, Australia

#11 Aug 19, 2013
Can someone explain why so many Icelanders own guns? Almost one in three. I'm quite shocked. For what purpose? Even here (Australia), in the land of Know Nothing/Male Boganism, the per capita gun ownership is nowhere is near as high (despite farmers claiming they need them for pest control)
Potato

Reykjavík, Iceland

#13 Oct 22, 2014
Romita wrote:
I'm pretty sure they dont watch too much TV or they dont watch at all :D
Ehrm, I am from Iceland, and I can confirm that we watch TV alot. Like, an unhealthy amount, And as you can see we do have quite a lot of guns http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/icel...
Jaywalker

Poplarville, MS

#17 Jul 20, 2015
Jet666 wrote:
Can someone explain why so many Icelanders own guns? Almost one in three. I'm quite shocked. For what purpose? Even here (Australia), in the land of Know Nothing/Male Boganism, the per capita gun ownership is nowhere is near as high (despite farmers claiming they need them for pest control)
Whats wrong with guns? You scared? Trust me theres been murders long before they invented guns. Guns dont kill people, people kill people. So as long as theres people there will be violence
ZigZag

Marion, IL

#18 Nov 9, 2015
Well , who are the ones that riot and loot and burn business in america? Its quite obvious that the populace of Iceland does not include an abundance of that color of people
Carlos

Tampa, FL

#19 Nov 10, 2015
Well there's no one that can be called "Obamas Son" living there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suffolk University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Among Republicans, polls show, fear of Islam is... (Oct '15) Apr '16 Three Days 3
News Hillary Rodham Clinton in a panic over Bernie S... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Ritual Habitual 1
News Trump counters condemnation with a warning (Dec '15) Dec '15 PatrickJ 809
News Poll: 68% of Trump's supporters would vote for ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 District 9 1
News Trump - the candidate most despised by American... (Jul '15) Jul '15 wild child 1
News Donald Trump Polling Very Well in New Hampshire (Jun '15) Jun '15 goonsquad 2
News Poll: Trump Jumps to Second Place with New Hamp... (Jun '15) Jun '15 VA - VOOM 3
More from around the web