College Presidents Cashing In, Study Says

There are 15 comments on the www.abcnews.go.com story from Nov 17, 2008, titled College Presidents Cashing In, Study Says. In it, www.abcnews.go.com reports that:

The number of college and university presidents taking home eye-popping paychecks continues to climb even as more and more students have trouble paying their tuition bills.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.abcnews.go.com.

“Tell the Truth”

Since: Nov 07

Orlando, Florida

#1 Nov 17, 2008
More of the top heavy greed that is taking it's toll on everyone else.
koz

Broadview Heights, OH

#2 Nov 17, 2008
Liberals have to take money from somebody.
Viking

Columbus, OH

#3 Nov 17, 2008
I don't see any difference between CEO's taking a huge salary and university presidents taking an obscene salary. What makes the university presidents so valuable. I'll bet there are a lot of competent people who would be a university president for a "reasonable" salary.

Since: Mar 08

Summertown, TN

#4 Nov 17, 2008
Call, Bush, he will bail them out.

“Did U plug the damn hole yet?”

Since: Jan 08

Richardson, TX

#5 Nov 17, 2008
Actually, the obscene pay to the educators is not confined to the colleges.

Many ceo's of public school districts take home huge paychecks even when they are failures.

Meaning that golden parachutes are not confined to Wall Street bankers.

Getting back to higher education, The University of Texas at Arlington is sitting on top of the Barnett Shale gas deposit and royalities from that are estimated to be $75 million over 10 years.

Guess what the professors decided to do with the money?

They're going to give it to themselves in the form of higher salaries.

So what else is new?
No_evolution

Monroe, LA

#6 Nov 17, 2008
In 1994 I went back to a university on the quarter system. My full-time load of courses cost me about $500 per quarter for 12-14 hours.

Now, in 2008, it costs about $1450 for that same load.

You should see the President's home. GOD have mercy.

“Did U plug the damn hole yet?”

Since: Jan 08

Richardson, TX

#7 Nov 17, 2008
No_evolution wrote:
In 1994 I went back to a university on the quarter system. My full-time load of courses cost me about $500 per quarter for 12-14 hours.
The Democrats are right to say that middle class Americans are struggling to afford college.

But the rising costs are being driven by greedy and/or incompetent educators who are not putting the needs of the students ahead of themselves.
Crazy Ox3thong

United States

#8 Nov 17, 2008
No_evolution wrote:
lucky wa' Tao broken English !! ask yo professor for a rebate ??

Amen + Eman + Omen >>><<<<
Crazy Ox3thong

United States

#9 Nov 17, 2008
Viking wrote:
I don't see any difference between CEO's taking a huge salary and university presidents taking an obscene salary. What makes the university presidents so valuable. I'll bet there are a lot of competent people who would be a university president for a "reasonable" salary.
&fe ature=related

that call Vest in Man and Suit
Halito

Las Vegas, NV

#10 Nov 17, 2008
Are college funds trust funds?
Crazy Ox3thong

United States

#11 Nov 17, 2008
Halito wrote:
Are college funds trust funds?
fun trust ?

“Tell the Truth”

Since: Nov 07

Orlando, Florida

#12 Nov 18, 2008
Audrey K. Doberstein, formerly of Wilmington College in Delaware ($1,370,973); E. Gordon Gee of Vanderbilt University ($1,326,786); John R. Silber of Boston University ($1,253,352); and John N. McCardell Jr., formerly of Middlebury College in Vermont ($1,213,141).

While these salaries are piddly compared to CEO's of the companies we taxpayers are bailing out, they still create overhead that students end up paying for.

The universities defend these salaries by saying the must pay for quality people. Pray tell, did they not have quality people BEFORE they started paying million dollar+ salaries or is this just a trend they are following because they simply pass the expense on to the consumer?

Since: Feb 07

Whitman,Ma

#13 Nov 18, 2008
No_evolution wrote:
Now the average cost of college tuition is going up 6.8% next semester. You have to look at it this way, if the Faculty is happy, the President will not get a vote of NO COFIDENCE and the Trustees are happy. The whole College Community is, "You take care of me and I will take care of yoy, because we have a yearly influx of people willing to spend to hear the spouting of the same old thing year after year."No wonder our education system is getting behind the rest of the world.

Since: Feb 07

Whitman,Ma

#14 Nov 18, 2008
Donna Atlanta GA wrote:
Audrey K. Doberstein, formerly of Wilmington College in Delaware ($1,370,973); E. Gordon Gee of Vanderbilt University ($1,326,786); John R. Silber of Boston University ($1,253,352); and John N. McCardell Jr., formerly of Middlebury College in Vermont ($1,213,141).
While these salaries are piddly compared to CEO's of the companies we taxpayers are bailing out, they still create overhead that students end up paying for.
The universities defend these salaries by saying the must pay for quality people. Pray tell, did they not have quality people BEFORE they started paying million dollar+ salaries or is this just a trend they are following because they simply pass the expense on to the consumer?
Most of them get a home to live in and an expense account that you would not believe. Recently a College President brought suit against the MA Retirement System and they had to include his housing allowance as a basiis for retirement computation with back pay. Our military do not get their housing allowance computed into their retirement pay because they are not in a liberal organization. In this country it is "Who you are and who you aint," that get the bennies.

Since: May 08

Marrero, Louisiana

#15 Nov 19, 2008
The only thing that matters in my opinion is the average working Joe, when he decides it isnít worth getting up in the morning and going to work it is officially over. There is nothing in the constitution that prohibits the people from writing another declaration of independence and starting all over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suffolk University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Paleologos on the poll: Gay marriage Apr 30 Machbuster 110
News Paleologos on the poll: Gay marriage Apr '15 Belle Sexton 4
News Why is violent crime so rare in Iceland (May '13) Oct '14 Potato 12
News Poll: A deadlock in Iowa's key Senate race (Aug '14) Aug '14 Le Jimbo 3
News Appointment to the Federal Bridge Corporation L... (Jun '14) Jun '14 dragonfly 1
News Avellone deserves spot on the ballot (May '14) Jun '14 sfgawege 2
News Peter Lucas: Rescuing Oss heroes from history's... (May '14) May '14 aleksandra 2
More from around the web