Government program accused of falling short for disabled vet

Jul 18, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WVEC-TV Norfolk

James Graves is a disabled Army veteran who finds himself in a battle with the Department of Veterans Affairs that's lasted almost six years.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
denied

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2011

6 years? I spent 9 years! It was hell and I would rather spend 9 years in the desert than dealing with them.

“I HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2011

Stories like this just fly through me. This man served his country to protect and defend it's freedoms and this is the kind of run around and bologna he gets.

The man was only given his temporary teaching license. Reopen the case and pay him back for his 'real' license. If he didn't take the other courses, he would have been unemployed.

The Department of Veteran Affairs is notoriously slow and unfair.
Vietnam Vet

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2011

I have been under the care of the VA for 11 years and it has been an experience worst than combat duty in the "Nam". Long lines, failure to provide prompt care and treatment is not as good as the care my Vet provides to my family pet. They spend millions trying to create a false and untrue belief that they care. Make unannounced inspections and you will find the funny farm. Medicine is secondary to job security, the numbers and saving face that are the priorities of the Hampton VA.

“I HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2011

Vietnam Vet wrote:
I have been under the care of the VA for 11 years and it has been an experience worst than combat duty in the "Nam". Long lines, failure to provide prompt care and treatment is not as good as the care my Vet provides to my family pet. They spend millions trying to create a false and untrue belief that they care. Make unannounced inspections and you will find the funny farm. Medicine is secondary to job security, the numbers and saving face that are the priorities of the Hampton VA.
Thank you for serving this great country.

My husband went down to the Hampton VA when he first retired, had an appointment, took off work, check in 15 minutes prior to his appt. time, waited an hour, THEN was told the doctor wasn't there, and he could wait maybe be a worked in, or reschedule. He left to never go back.

It's shameful that the very people that served and protected this country, gave up huge portions of time with family, and would have gladly given their lives are treated like this.

“The opposite of Progress ”

Since: Nov 08

is Congress

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2011

Luuccy, your husbands experience is probably typical. We, the poeple of this great country, abysmally fail our veterans time and again, our history is unfortunately rich with this. We praise our vets when we need them, but after that, we shuffle them to the side and ignore them.

As for the VA in Hampton. No thank you, I prefer to pay for my medical needs instead of availing myself to something that may kill me.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2011

Amazing...
The VA has told me they can no longer care for my DJD/DDD condition because they say there is nothing more they can do. It was also pointed out to me, that I am NOT SERVICE CONNECTED and therefore my condition will most likely be put on the back burners to 'help' more 'needy' vets. I have received treatment at private hospitals where they put a titanium rod on my back, gave me a cadaver bone for my neck and I am still receiving good and caring treatment from a private hospital that CARES! Every time I get an evaluation from the VA, the continually tell me there is a chance of paralysis which tells me that they are no more confident in their jobs than a doctor in training and that is all they have there...doctors who NEED TRAINING!

“The opposite of Progress ”

Since: Nov 08

is Congress

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2011

The Mad Man wrote:
Amazing...
The VA has told me they can no longer care for my DJD/DDD condition because they say there is nothing more they can do. It was also pointed out to me, that I am NOT SERVICE CONNECTED and therefore my condition will most likely be put on the back burners to 'help' more 'needy' vets. I have received treatment at private hospitals where they put a titanium rod on my back, gave me a cadaver bone for my neck and I am still receiving good and caring treatment from a private hospital that CARES! Every time I get an evaluation from the VA, the continually tell me there is a chance of paralysis which tells me that they are no more confident in their jobs than a doctor in training and that is all they have there...doctors who NEED TRAINING!
That's pretty messed up but I am not surprised. It is sad that I am not surprised.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Strayer University Discussions

Search the Strayer University Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Navy Yard shooting victims had long careers there (Sep '13) Sep '13 Psych med shooting 1
Navy Yard shooting victims had long careers there (Sep '13) Sep '13 still unclear 1
Newport News School Board to hear plan to expan... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Barbara Bahr 3
NASA Misuses $1.4 Million in Tax Dollars for Em... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Kosti 1
How to improve e-learning? (Jul '11) Jul '11 Chandira 1
•••
•••
•••
•••