Can the Bay Area grow in population a...

Can the Bay Area grow in population and be sustainable?

There are 6 comments on the baynature.org story from Jun 22, 2012, titled Can the Bay Area grow in population and be sustainable?. In it, baynature.org reports that:

In 1968, biologist Paul Ehrlich wrote the best-seller "The Population Bomb," warning of mass starvation in the face of uncontrolled human population growth.

Taken as alarmist at the time, the book nevertheless started a debate about the world’s limited natural resources and the human race’s voracious appetite. Of course, we didn’t all starve, thanks in part to advancements in agriculture. But more than 40 years later, with the doubling of the world’s population, we’re faced with a different doom-and-gloom scenario: climate change. Ehrlich, now a population studies expert at Stanford University, hasn’t backed down.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at baynature.org.

Grab a cool bud

Carol Stream, IL

#1 Jun 22, 2012
dr. Bill_mr! i told U no ? in here...;).org or .orgod ;-000rwel dr. kindda lonelee in NY;)

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#2 Jun 22, 2012
He shouldn't back down. There is a finite amount of natural resources available. They ain't makin' any more dinos for any new oil. They ain't makin' any more arable land for food production. They ain't makin' new water supplies. The whole African continent is a good example of the real estate unable to support the population growth.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#3 Jun 22, 2012
>>>He says the government should actively discourage childbearing.“If you’re a patriotic American, you stop at two, and if you’re super-patriotic you stop at one,” he said.<<<<

and, if you're a left wing progressive loon...stop at none....

hmmm...maybe free contraceptives isn't such a bad idea after all!
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

#4 Jun 22, 2012
With the increased influx of criminals, other Leftists and drugs into the Bay area, I'd say no, it's not sustainable. It should have already perished, according to Paul Ehrlich.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/individual...

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#5 Jun 22, 2012
Mykro wrote:
He shouldn't back down. There is a finite amount of natural resources available. They ain't makin' any more dinos for any new oil. They ain't makin' any more arable land for food production. They ain't makin' new water supplies. The whole African continent is a good example of the real estate unable to support the population growth.
the african continent could not only sustain it's people, it COULD be a major world force...
they just haven't ever embraced technology, or, been able to get past the petty squabbling and strongman rulers.

talk about a "mind" being a terrible thing to waste...
this is an entire continent being wasted.

btw...if food production is getting tight, maybe we should stop turning food into fuel...huh?
radiofreeamerica

Tampa, FL

#6 Jun 22, 2012
Paul Ehrlich "hasn*t backed down"according to the story.He hasn*t been right either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stanford University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stanford Psychiatrists Take to the Stage May 3 Humanspirit 1
News Environmentalists Are Dead Wrong Apr '17 Defeat Maxine Waters 1
News How Offering Driver Licenses To The Undocumente... Apr '17 HOLLA ISABELLA 2
News Preteens who mistrust teachers less likely to r... Feb '17 Dreary Jurist Wagner 3
News Trump's victory reportedly threatens mental hea... Jan '17 Wildchild 4
News Fear Of Deportation, Hate Crimes Reportedly Thr... Jan '17 HOLLA ISABELLA 3
News Afghans who aided US military face long, fearfu... Dec '16 Eleanor 15
More from around the web