Entrepreneur: Boost Calif. wages to $12-an-hour

Jan 12, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Yahoo!

Democrats across the nation are eager to make increasing the minimum wage a defining campaign issue in 2014, but in California a proposal to boost the pay rate to $12 an hour is coming from a different point on the political compass.

Comments
21 - 40 of 145 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2014

Judged:

Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>No they didn't choose to, but due to Obama's inexperience and stupidity put them there. trying to make communism work after so many failures just goes to show the boys elevator don't go to the top.
Actually this is a relevant post to the current situation of jobs, but it's 8 years to late. You should have posted this in 2003ish when Bush proposed his plan to turn the American economy into a services economy.

Since 2003ish the invention of the dollar menu has created a need for services workers, to flip burgers on the grill and salting french fries.
Cujo

Regina, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

Many of you are missing the point. Minimum wage is far below what it was 30 - 40 years ago, in terms of inflation and productivity. Many people argue, if you don't like Walmart, McDonald’s, etc. because they pay crappy, don't shop there, and let the power of the purchaser decide.

Here's the problem with that argument. The Walmart's and McD's don't want people to make more, because then they could shop elsewhere. Keep them poor, and their choices are limited to places like Walmart and McD's. And in the meantime, the taxpayer will continue subsidizing these companies through programs like food stamps.
Guess Who

Sterling, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

Cujo wrote:
Many of you are missing the point. Minimum wage is far below what it was 30 - 40 years ago, in terms of inflation and productivity. Many people argue, if you don't like Walmart, McDonald’s, etc. because they pay crappy, don't shop there, and let the power of the purchaser decide.
Here's the problem with that argument. The Walmart's and McD's don't want people to make more, because then they could shop elsewhere. Keep them poor, and their choices are limited to places like Walmart and McD's. And in the meantime, the taxpayer will continue subsidizing these companies through programs like food stamps.
No you are missing the point. Raise the minimum wage and there will always be a Mezcan to come in and undercut it!!! Kind of a futile gesture that would put a bind on any recovery effort. You want to raise the minimum wage first put "E-Verify" into effect. If not you are just pissing in the wind.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

Cujo wrote:
If immigration laws were enforced there would be fewer people forced to work for low wages and that would increase wages for all. Like any commodity the laws of supply and demand will control prices and any attempt to artificially control the prices will have undesired results.
Obamacare is just another form of corporate welfare to shift employee costs from the employer to the taxpayer. It is not those who oppose an increase in the minimum wage that are supporting low wages and shifting employer costs to the taxpayer. It is those that support more government entitlements, amnesty, non-enforcement of immigration laws and an increase in visas for foreign workers that are helping to keep wages low.
It is true that Wal-Mart McDonalds and many other employers rely on the taxpayer to subsidize their labor costs but they provide entry level jobs that traditionally have not offered benefits because those that took those jobs did not need them. Sadly due to an over abundance of labor jobs like they offer are no longer filled by entry level employees but by those who have families but cannot find a better job due to the recession and the fact that our government has encouraged companies to move jobs off shore.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

Your Ex wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether posted from ignorance, intolerance or a self-righteous blend of both, please consider going to the church of your faith and praying for enlightenment & forgiveness.
It's not too late.
What if her church is complicit in her intolerance?

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

Guess Who wrote:
<quoted text>Please consider either returning to the country you illegally slithered out of or if you are legal please go to one of these countries and devote your life to helping these poor folk. Don't volunteer my aid to these trespassing individuals (tax monies) without my permission. Keep god out of it. There are churches in Mexihole!!! You have your calling now nut.
Good job! Now don't forget to wipe.
Cat74

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

There is no way a McDonald worker flipping hamburgers, and making French fries is worth $10. an hour. They are worth $8 an hour. You have to teach them everything. There are even signs in the bathroom telling them to "wash their hands." And you want them to be paid anything over $8? No way. They are already being paid more then they are worth.
spud

Bangor, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Guess Who wrote:
<quoted text>No you are missing the point. Raise the minimum wage and there will always be a Mezcan to come in and undercut it!!! Kind of a futile gesture that would put a bind on any recovery effort. You want to raise the minimum wage first put "E-Verify" into effect. If not you are just pissing in the wind.
That's a great idea. Manditory everify for all employment, housing and government assistance should be implemented first, before any other negotiations can occur. A mandatory everify program would solve well over half the problems right off the bat. After that, hell yes, raise that minimum wage to $12.
Shinichiro Takizawa

Tokyo, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Wars, nuclear-power-plant-disasters, huge-earth-quakes and huge-natural-disasters
must occur in Japan, China, Taiwan, South-Korea, Germany and Russia now!

Wars, nuclear-power-plant-disasters, huge-earth-quakes and huge-natural-disasters in Japan, China, Taiwan, South-Korea, Germany and Russia
will cause reconstruction-demands in Japan, China, Taiwan, South-Korea, Germany and Russia!

Wars, nuclear-power-plant-disasters, huge-earth-quakes and huge-natural-disasters in Japan, China, Taiwan, South-Korea, Germany and Russia
will increase Japan's, China's, Taiwan's, South-Korea's, Germany's and Russia's domestic-demands!

will decrease supplies from Japan, China, Taiwan, South-Korea, Germany and Russia!

Japan, South-Korea, Taiwan and Germany must increase their military-budgets and military-forces now!
Japan, South-Korea, Taiwan, British, Italy and Germany must protect Japan, South-Korea, Taiwan, British, Italy and Germany by themselves!

Japan needs military-draft-system of Japan in Japan now!
All Japs between the age of 18 and 27 must be drafted by Japanese-Forces now!
All Japanese-men and all Japanese-boys between the age of 18 and 27 must be drafted by Japanese-Forces now!
All Japanese-women and all Japanese-girls between the age of 18 and 27 must be drafted by Japanese-Forces now!

Japan, China, Taiwan, South-Korea, Germany and Russia are evil-fascism-communism-empires !
Remember Pearl Harbor!
Finally, Japan will be destroyed!

I love the U.S.! I love Americans!
We are American-99%!
Your Ex

Steamboat Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

Cat74 wrote:
There is no way a McDonald worker flipping hamburgers, and making French fries is worth $10. an hour. They are worth $8 an hour. You have to teach them everything. There are even signs in the bathroom telling them to "wash their hands." And you want them to be paid anything over $8? No way. They are already being paid more then they are worth.
Don't worry, Mac&Dons is working towards full automation, so those wage-slaves will soon cease being a drag on McDonalds bottom line and get back on public-assistance programs where they belong.
Cat74

Roselle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

I know, we should have never given up that horse, and wagon for that awful Automobile. It is called progress. These corporations are not charities to be filled with people who should have learned a work ethic in their homes, and schools. Instead they want their hands held by the people at Corporate.
Cujo

Regina, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

Guess Who wrote:
<quoted text>No you are missing the point. Raise the minimum wage and there will always be a Mezcan to come in and undercut it!!! Kind of a futile gesture that would put a bind on any recovery effort. You want to raise the minimum wage first put "E-Verify" into effect. If not you are just pissing in the wind.
Bind the recovery effort? Seriously? There has been plenty of new wealth in the last 5 years, the only problem is, about 90 percent of it goes to the top 10%. Give the middle class and the poor a bigger piece of that pie and the people who have always provided purchasing power and job growth, can return to doing so.
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

The top 20% wage earners have seen with inflation there wages go up 3000%in last 30 years.I think it is time for the working class and working poor to get pay raise...I mean working class and minimum wage has went down with inflation figured in all why rich got filth rich.
Cujo

Regina, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
If immigration laws were enforced there would be fewer people forced to work for low wages and that would increase wages for all. Like any commodity the laws of supply and demand will control prices and any attempt to artificially control the prices will have undesired results.
Obamacare is just another form of corporate welfare to shift employee costs from the employer to the taxpayer. It is not those who oppose an increase in the minimum wage that are supporting low wages and shifting employer costs to the taxpayer. It is those that support more government entitlements, amnesty, non-enforcement of immigration laws and an increase in visas for foreign workers that are helping to keep wages low.
It is true that Wal-Mart McDonalds and many other employers rely on the taxpayer to subsidize their labor costs but they provide entry level jobs that traditionally have not offered benefits because those that took those jobs did not need them. Sadly due to an over abundance of labor jobs like they offer are no longer filled by entry level employees but by those who have families but cannot find a better job due to the recession and the fact that our government has encouraged companies to move jobs off shore.
And immigration is the fault of the minimum wage workers, how? Capitalism/supply and demand economics only work when the middle class has purchasing power. That is dissapearing everyday. Give these workers a fair wage.
Guess Who

Sterling, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Good job! Now don't forget to wipe.
Give me your hair.
Your Ex

Steamboat Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Cat74 wrote:
I know, we should have never given up that horse, and wagon for that awful Automobile. It is called progress. These corporations are not charities to be filled with people who should have learned a work ethic in their homes, and schools. Instead they want their hands held by the people at Corporate.
Ah, the I've got mine, fck you, ethos of business.
Progress indeed.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

Cujo wrote:
<quoted text>
And immigration is the fault of the minimum wage workers, how? Capitalism/supply and demand economics only work when the middle class has purchasing power. That is dissapearing everyday. Give these workers a fair wage.
I never said that illegal immigration is the fault of minimum wage workers. It is a major reason that wages are so low for minimum wage workers. If you are going to claim that I posted something I did not then you can go play with turner and bareback.
. As illegal aliens drag down wages, increase taxes and the cost of living in general middle class purchasing power decreases. It is the middle class that has to subsidize businesses that hire illegal aliens. By keeping wages low through the use of illegal labor the social costs are placed on the middle class who in addition to seeing their taxes increase are seeing wages decrease. Also since low wage Americans are put out of work by illegal aliens middle class Americans also have to support them.
The only way low wage earners can be given a better wage is if the supply of cheap illegal labor supported by the middle class decreases which will increase the wages of the middle class and reduce taxes allowing them to spend more which will provide the money and the need to pay unskilled and low wage earners more.
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

Liberals R Defective wrote:
<quoted text>Ah yes, the familiar bleating of of the progressive sheep.
Facts bother you? Bet your one of those who wages have went up 3000% and you love to watch common man suffer with less...RIGHT DEMON???

You got yours let everyone else die huh pig.
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

Liberals R Defective wrote:
<quoted text>As usual, you're clueless. I've worked for every dime I've ever earned. I PAY taxes, I take NOTHING from this bloated, shit for brains government. I'll bet you've been sucking on the federal teat for your whole life.
Worked??? Sitting behind desk doing nothing making millions of others hard work is not work moron.

I never took one dime except for 4 years of military pay. I earned that.

Again the point and fact is this..THE TOP 20% OF WAGE EARNERS WAGES WITH INFLATION HAVE WENT UP 3000% IN LAST 30 YEARS. IN SAME 30 YEARS WORKING CLASS WAGES WITH INFLATION HAS WENT DOWN.

Deny it all you want wont change that fact. Why you and your golden spoon kind got richer rest of the nation got poorer....SIMPLE FACT TRAITOR.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

Why is it that the same people who demand more pay for unskilled labor also demand more unskilled labor be allowed into the work force? An increase in the minimum wage along with amnesty will increase illegal immigration and unemployment levels to new highs.
Cesar Chavez knew illegal scab labor was bad for the field workers and fought it. Coal miners in the 1800’s knew scab labor was bad for them and fought it. Ruthless employers since the beginning industry have brought in cheap labor to replace those they thought demanded too much but never before has the labor being replaced supported the employers replacing them with cheaper labor.
I don’t blame the scabs (illegal aliens) for coming here and working for less but I do not welcome them when they arrive and support those who encourage them to come here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••