Lou Brock

There are 24 comments on the Encyclopaedia Britannica story from Jun 23, 2009, titled Lou Brock. In it, Encyclopaedia Britannica reports that:

He threw and hit left-handed. He was signed to a contract by the Chicago Cubs in 1961 and played on their farm teams before moving to the major leagues in 1962.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Encyclopaedia Britannica.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 09

Saint Albans, WV

#1 Jun 23, 2009
I admire Lou Brock for his baseball skills, but a very hard person to talk to, about anything good in Eldorado, or get an autograph.
Eldowhiteguy

Pine Bluff, AR

#2 Jun 23, 2009
jeffreyf wrote:
I admire Lou Brock for his baseball skills, but a very hard person to talk to, about anything good in ElDorado, or get an autograph.
Of course we in El Dorado would love for a guy as accomplished as Lou Brock to give accolades to his hometown, visit and give us autographs, but lets get real. Lou grew up in a segregated southern town which was not particularly even-handed when it came to the treatment of young black men. Separate schools, playgrounds, housing and treatment by law enforcement were the norm here, as throughout much of this part of the country. He does not owe us anything and we have not earned it. So, let it be.
If I only had a brain

Pflugerville, TX

#3 Jun 24, 2009
I feel our life experiences and our response to them is what makes us what we ARE. And I feel a person may be a SUCCESS but a failure as a human being, and I am not saying this person is that. Just walk a mile......Can anyone remember fond childhood memories if you were poor in this town??
Charliedon

United States

#4 Jun 24, 2009
I grew up poor in El Dorado and still have fond memories…eating those yellow cherries that grow wild along the ditches…walking the railroad track chunking rocks…fishing with a cane pole…shooting pool at the Boys Club…walking two miles to buy a Spudnut…swimming naked at Bock’s Pond…

Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things.
OliveOyl

Pflugerville, TX

#5 Jun 24, 2009
My bestest memories was the five for a dollar hickory burgers and skating. Maybe that's why I am now plagued with high cholesterol and bad bones.
Charliedon

New Orleans, LA

#6 Jun 24, 2009
OliveOyl wrote:
My bestest memories was the five for a dollar hickory burgers and skating. Maybe that's why I am now plagued with high cholesterol and bad bones.
Not trying to outdo you, but remember 10 cent burgers at Paul's Hamburger Stand in the 50's. Ten coke bottles pulled from the side of the road would get you a dime for the burger. Now paying the price also for the "too many burgers and fries" life..
Eldowhiteguy

Pine Bluff, AR

#7 Jun 24, 2009
Charliedon wrote:
I grew up poor in El Dorado and still have fond memories…eating those yellow cherries that grow wild along the ditches…walking the railroad track chunking rocks…fishing with a cane pole…shooting pool at the Boys Club…walking two miles to buy a Spudnut…swimming naked at Bock’s Pond…
Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things.
I am happy for your good memories Charliedon. I too grew up here and have many of those same memories of El Do in the 50's. However, the point is that Lou Brock could not go to the Boys Club, swim in the public pools, or even walk along the street at night throwing rocks....and only because he ,unlike us, was a black boy.
Charliedon

Denver, CO

#8 Jun 24, 2009
Eldowhiteguy wrote:
<quoted text> I am happy for your good memories Charliedon. I too grew up here and have many of those same memories of El Do in the 50's. However, the point is that Lou Brock could not go to the Boys Club, swim in the public pools, or even walk along the street at night throwing rocks....and only because he ,unlike us, was a black boy.
Oh yes, Eldowhiteguy. I understood your original point well. We used to throw rocks at the black kids walking past church after Sunday School. How sad is that? By the way, I was always a Lou Brock fan because he was from El Dorado (tho I didn't know him), but I spent some time in Oakland during the season (1982) when Ricky Henderson broke Brock's record, ending up with 130 steals. One night at the park there the Oakland pitcher walked ahead of Henderson, then Henderson walked, so second base was occupied by this pitcher dude, preventing Henderson's chance to steal. Believe it or not, the pitcher walked way off base, got himself picked off (to loud cheers), and Henderson proceeded to steal both second and third. This kind of crap turned me off to baseball.
CATMANDO

Georgetown, TX

#9 Jun 24, 2009
Charliedon wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes, Eldowhiteguy. I understood your original point well. We used to throw rocks at the black kids walking past church after Sunday School. How sad is that?.

So I guess you never threw any rocks at white ever.
Charliedon

San Francisco, CA

#10 Jun 24, 2009
CATMANDO wrote:
<quoted text>
So I guess you never threw any rocks at white ever.
Oh, yeah! Clobbered my white buddy once...needed 5 stitches in his dome. For some reason, don't feel guilty a bit about throwing at white guys.
:)
CATMANDO

Georgetown, TX

#11 Jun 24, 2009
See everone's been treated equally shitty.No shame there.
Charliedon

Houston, TX

#12 Jun 24, 2009
CATMANDO wrote:
See everone's been treated equally shitty.No shame there.
Cat, are you the Topix troll? Just sitting there all day hoping to jump in with something clever? Or, do you have anything to offer of substance?
OliveOyl

Pflugerville, TX

#13 Jun 24, 2009
So, are feeling guilty for him being black or you being white??? Get your sh!t straight. EVERYONE has a sad story, boo-hoo......Eldowhiteguy!!!!!
Charliedon

Houston, TX

#14 Jun 24, 2009
Man, there is some serious shit going on in my old home town. Can't even post a memory without people getting riled up.
OliveOyl

Pflugerville, TX

#15 Jun 25, 2009
Sorry Charliedon if you think this is a slam against you cuz it is not. This Eldowhiteguy is making me think he is Eldoblackguy trying to garner the 'whoa is me, poor o me, i was mistreated' GET OVER IT as the Eagles would say!!!! Like I said everybody has a SAD story!!!
By the way you must be younger than me, I only got 2cents for selling coke bottles, used to put them in a pillow case on my bicycle handle bars, had to cold patch the tubes almost daily, had more patches than tubing, heck shoulda went in the biz.
Charliedon

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Jun 25, 2009
OliveOyl wrote:
Sorry Charliedon if you think this is a slam against you cuz it is not. This Eldowhiteguy is making me think he is Eldoblackguy trying to garner the 'whoa is me, poor o me, i was mistreated' GET OVER IT as the Eagles would say!!!! Like I said everybody has a SAD story!!!
By the way you must be younger than me, I only got 2cents for selling coke bottles, used to put them in a pillow case on my bicycle handle bars, had to cold patch the tubes almost daily, had more patches than tubing, heck shoulda went in the biz.
Naw, I'm much older than you. 1941 model. I think I'm the oldest guy on this forum at nearly 68. We got only 1 cent for a bottle return in those days. And, the cokes were 8 oz and sold for only a nickle. Sometime in the early 50's they raised the amount to 12 oz and the price to a dime. Had an uncle that swore at that time that he'd never drink another coke. Now I hear Obama wants to put a nickle tax on each can of soda, a sugar tax they're calling it. Gone too far when they start taxing a man's cold sodi-watters.
OliveOyl

Pflugerville, TX

#17 Jun 25, 2009
Charliedon wrote:
<quoted text>
Now I hear Obama wants to put a nickle tax on each can of soda, a sugar tax they're calling it. Gone too far when they start taxing a man's cold sodi-watters.
U gotta be kiddin!!!!! I suck down @ 2 cases diet coke a week. Hate beer, looks like pee, probably tastes like it, and kinda smells like it too. What will be NEXT ?????????
OliveOyl

Pflugerville, TX

#18 Jun 25, 2009
My point was beer will probably be cheaper if that happens.
Charliedon

United States

#19 Jun 25, 2009
Here in Texas a while back they added a $5 a head "sex tax" on entry into those strip clubs. Of course, I wouldn't know anything about that...:)
CATMANDO

Georgetown, TX

#20 Jun 25, 2009
Charliedon wrote:
<quoted text>
Cat, are you the Topix troll? Just sitting there all day hoping to jump in with something clever? Or, do you have anything to offer of substance?
Just trying to help rid you of those evil spirits known as white guilt.Free yourself from torment my brother and you will never again feel the pain over throwing rocks at black kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southern University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fighting for the Black Vote (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News Two questioned over fatal shooting at Texas stu... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Student farts 1
News LSU, Southern get first shot to grow medical ma... (Jul '15) Oct '15 louisianATHEIST 2
News In Houston, an adamant Hillary Clinton declares... (Jun '15) Jun '15 mjjcpa 5
News How Hillary Clinton Wants to Change Voting Righ... (Jun '15) Jun '15 private guy 2
News Our History Makers: Toni Morrison (Feb '12) Apr '15 KnutesNiche 2
News Wild Wing Cafe challenges Statesboro alcohol he... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Unforgiving 1
More from around the web