Oklahoma professor allegedly terminated for being transgender

May 1, 2011 | Posted by: Iria | Full story: www.rawstory.com

An Assistant Professor of English, Humanities and Literature at Southeastern Oklahoma State University was allegedly denied tenure and terminated because of her gender identity.

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated May 2, 2011

“good luck with the 72 virgins”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2011

Lets hope so.Its time for normal people (if you dont know what normal is just ask your father/mother) to take back the country.Normal people control all nations of this world that have surpassed the U.S.- or are about to- in economic productivity,prestiege,educati onal performance (like math science) etc., etc.
adnam

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2011

Judged:

If true, I don't think that's right and I hope that's not what happened.
If a person's qualified, what difference does the rest make?

“I'm a transsexual lesbian. So?”

Since: May 08

Bowling Green, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2011

Judged:

RFA, honey you're no more "normal" than I am!

In fact, bigotry is one of the most ABnormal conditions known to humanity, darling bigot.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2011

radio free america wrote:
Lets hope so.Its time for normal people (if you dont know what normal is just ask your father/mother) to take back the country.Normal people control all nations of this world that have surpassed the U.S.- or are about to- in economic productivity,prestiege,educati onal performance (like math science) etc., etc.
Maybe the US would be better off if we didn't fire decent teachers just because they confuse the uneducated "normal" people.
Sheik Yerbouti

Pennington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2011

Judged:

Only in Oklahoma also known as 'redneckland.'
short trus micro bus

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2011

dont it make your brown eye blue

“Peace”

Since: Feb 08

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2011

Lynn Conway receives 2009 IEEE Computer Society Computer Pioneer Award
&fe ature=related

here are some of Professor Lynn's trans friends
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2011

The best thing I can say about this post is that the poster has no idea what he's talking about. Suppose the college hired a speaker to talk abuot their experiences with sir Edmund Hillary on mount Everest, And that writer was thauther of several travel books. I think you'd say the college did well until you found she was the Transexual, Jan Morris. Maybe if your child were in need of a skilled opthalmologist, you might consider Dr Renee Richards, until it was revealed to you that she was a Transexual and formerly known as a man. But then, Normal people don't become opthalmologists. Or Lynn Conway, the Genius (Who is not "Normal") who invented the computer architecture that allowed the internet to be. She and Carver Meade wrote the book on "Dynamic Scheduling" that is stil used as a textbook for those studying computer science. TSes are airline Pilots, Lawyers, Cardiologists, College proffessors, TS Capt, Jan Hamilton was a decorated member of Britain's SAS till she transitioned, today she is a women police officer in Scotland I believe. Trans Dr Christine McGinn was a navy pilot and flight surgeon, whop was on the team that would go up to the space shuttle if an emergency ever occured. So get your facts straight. We Are not street people! Maybe the only TGed people you've ever seen apppeared that way. But that was because she was down and out and did have a job, A Temporary situation.
Regards, Terry
radio free america wrote:

“I'm a transsexual lesbian. So?”

Since: May 08

Bowling Green, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2011

Terry -- Transfolk like Drs. Conway and Richards are the exception, rather than the rule.

There's been very few stories and studies made in regards to transfolk working in blue collar and service industries, because I'd say the vast majority of us are working in those jobs.

Yes, there are many more working in the underground economy such as sex work. That's due to the fact there are few if any anti-discrimination laws on the books protecting on gender identity and appearance.

Even so, that's no excuse to deny transfolk a right to work, live, and access public accommodations such as restaurants, malls, and toilets.

I'm sorry we transfolk violate your delicate sensibilities, RFA. Maybe if you get your head out of your butt and into some books relating our lives and our experiences, maybe you'll find we're just as "normal" as everyone else.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southeastern Oklahoma State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sulphur Springs building collapses Aug 22 Sheila Sanchez 14
Texas Attorney General to visit Paris May '14 Give her a break 2
Choctaw Nation employing aggressive cultural re... (Dec '12) Dec '12 where 1
Tulsa Indian Club honors Tulsa spiritual leader (Jul '12) Jul '12 Native American 1
McAlester schools to name top teacher of year (Feb '11) Sep '11 King Atoka 6
Transgender Professor Denied Tenure and Terminated (May '11) May '11 Emelye Waldherr 3
Miss Southeast Oklahoma Scholarship Pageant to ... (Nov '10) Feb '11 Really Now 10
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Southeastern Oklahoma State University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••