South Carolina Not So "Gay" After All

South Carolina Not So "Gay" After All

There are 53 comments on the snafu-ed.blogspot.com story from Jul 14, 2008, titled South Carolina Not So "Gay" After All. In it, snafu-ed.blogspot.com reports that:

A series of ads, timed to run with London's "Gay Pride" week, which ended last Saturday, have caused quite a stir.

The ads promoted the "gay beaches" of South Carolina, along with its Civil War plantations. Ads for Atlanta, Boston, Las Vegas, New Orleans and Washington, D.C. didn't elicit any reaction, but South Carolina ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at snafu-ed.blogspot.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Out in the West Texas”

Since: Mar 08

town of El Paso

#1 Jul 14, 2008
Kramer:
"Yep, it's official. South Carolina is gay."

Seinfeld:
"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#2 Jul 14, 2008
What is wrong with the old use of the word gay?

“Out in the West Texas”

town of El Paso

#3 Jul 14, 2008
Purple Gurl wrote:
Well, it's old...and...it's kinda...gay.

Since: Aug 07

Tallulah, LA

#4 Jul 14, 2008
William Pena wrote:
Kramer:
"Yep, it's official. South Carolina is gay."
Seinfeld:
"Not that there's anything wrong with that."
Well, of course the Palmetto State is a happy state! Our slogan is "smiling faces, beautiful places"!

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#5 Jul 14, 2008
William Pena wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's old...and...it's kinda...gay.
That kinda sucks, doesn't it?

Since: May 08

Lawrenceville, GA

#6 Jul 14, 2008
Purple Gurl wrote:
nothing at all....just unfortunate that there aren't enough of us out there to remember the original meaning of the word :/

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#7 Jul 14, 2008
Hey...people are pretty happy in Key West too...I love that place.... we have happy people where I live too...and could use more of them....

“Out in the West Texas”

town of El Paso

#8 Jul 14, 2008
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
That kinda sucks, doesn't it?
Umm, well it could, I guess. You need to ask a South Carolinian.

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#9 Jul 14, 2008
William Pena wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm, well it could, I guess. You need to ask a South Carolinian.
or be a patient in that hospital...oh, not that sucks...sorry, wrong thread.
skipper

Miramar Beach, FL

#10 Jul 15, 2008
HE said
“South Carolinians will be irate when they learn their hard earned tax dollars are being spent to advertise our state as ‘so gay,’” Republican state Sen. David Thomas of Greenville said in a statement.

the truth is

Out of a total tourism budget of 14 million dollars, the sum of 5,000 dollars was spent on this campaign. This leave $13,995,000 to attract families. This hardly constitutes an excess spending on the gay market.

And who knows how much money those Gay Tourists would have spent.

sorry restaurant,Hotel and Motel owners,souvenir shop owners

THE state says no to Gay bucks,,,but not to your tax's
ddw

Montpelier, VA

#13 Jul 15, 2008
I dream of the day when all beings are judged by the value of their contributions to society and not by their race, creed or sexual orientation. Wonder if that we will ever evolve to that level...

“Nuff Said!”

Branford, Fl

#14 Jul 15, 2008
ddw wrote:
I dream of the day when all beings are judged by the value of their contributions to society and not by their race, creed or sexual orientation. Wonder if that we will ever evolve to that level...
Another pole puffer with an agenda!

“We Have Lost Our Minds”

Since: Jul 08

Kent, Ohio

#15 Jul 15, 2008
So when you go to South Carolina you must state whether you are gay or not?

“We Have Lost Our Minds”

Since: Jul 08

Kent, Ohio

#16 Jul 15, 2008
When did states start advertising for gay tourists? I guess that gays never went on vacation before this.

“Out in the West Texas”

town of El Paso

#18 Jul 15, 2008
Joe Durt wrote:
<quoted text>
Another pole puffer with an agenda!
Someone dreams of "the day when all beings are judged by the value of their contributions to society and not by their race, creed or sexual orientation." You call that an "agenda?" Well, if it is, then it's my agenda too. It also adheres to the letter and spirit of federal law, as in the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Sorry, even Joe Durts should follow and respect the law.

“silly conspiracy theory HA”

Since: Mar 07

Long Island

#19 Jul 15, 2008
Trust me, they can advertise 'so gay' and target the gay community and I am so sure that the str8 people would never even know - espicially since this was aimed at brining gay people from out of the country!

Even if they did advertise this in the US - I do not see str8 people flocking to afterellen.com or planetout.com LOL

“Pompous pontificator”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#20 Jul 15, 2008
skipper wrote:
HE said
“South Carolinians will be irate when they learn their hard earned tax dollars are being spent to advertise our state as ‘so gay,’” Republican state Sen. David Thomas of Greenville said in a statement.
the truth is
Out of a total tourism budget of 14 million dollars, the sum of 5,000 dollars was spent on this campaign. This leave $13,995,000 to attract families. This hardly constitutes an excess spending on the gay market.
And who knows how much money those Gay Tourists would have spent.
sorry restaurant,Hotel and Motel owners,souvenir shop owners
THE state says no to Gay bucks,,,but not to your tax's

Hey Skipper, even if you are right about the amount, it's still too much. I am NOT anti gay. But tell me if it makes sense to roll out the welcome mat to people who know better. Most southerners, especially Bible-belt Bible thumpers do not agree with anything 'gay' period. I am neither espousing or denigrating gay "lifestyle?", but merely pointing out that you will not entice people to come to a place where they believe (often for good reason) they will be ignored, cursed, beat-up, or even hanged! No piss-assed little press release or promotion will undo a hundred years of 'tradition' and religious doctrine, fundamentalism and Skin-heads etc. It's a dumb idea just because it's a waste of money. You may as well invite Osama bin Laden...."Y'all come now y'hear"

Since: Aug 07

Tallulah, LA

#21 Jul 15, 2008
Bubbletoes wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Skipper, even if you are right about the amount, it's still too much. I am NOT anti gay. But tell me if it makes sense to roll out the welcome mat to people who know better. Most southerners, especially Bible-belt Bible thumpers do not agree with anything 'gay' period. I am neither espousing or denigrating gay "lifestyle?", but merely pointing out that you will not entice people to come to a place where they believe (often for good reason) they will be ignored, cursed, beat-up, or even hanged! No piss-assed little press release or promotion will undo a hundred years of 'tradition' and religious doctrine, fundamentalism and Skin-heads etc. It's a dumb idea just because it's a waste of money. You may as well invite Osama bin Laden...."Y'all come now y'hear"
Well bless your heart....
You don't sound like a proud South Carolinian!
Come on over and I'll fix you some shrimp and grits.

Since: Feb 07

Lansdale, PA

#24 Jul 15, 2008
Bubbletoes wrote:
<quoted text>
Well when you get past all of the hoopla about the campaign, how many Europeans while deciding on what to do for vacation say "Hey let's go see South Carolina!" ? Regardless of the demographic you are trying to attract it's a waste of money.

Springfield, IL

#25 Jul 15, 2008
I hear they are considering issuing butt-less chaps to all people entering the state.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Carolina State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clinton feeling 'the Bern' in SC stronghold (Feb '16) Feb '16 Vote For Bernie S... 23
News Bill Would Fire SC State Leaders, Keep School Open (Feb '15) Jan '16 gail 2
News Bernie Sanders struggles in South Carolina (Nov '15) Nov '15 Clinton Supporter 1
News Confederate flag painting in UGA museum not wha... (Jul '15) Jul '15 rebel111 2
News More (Mar '15) Mar '15 freethinkradio do... 1
News More (Feb '15) Feb '15 Terry Dale 1
News Forestville womana s life inspired by Martin Lu... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Gene 1
More from around the web