Columbia, SC News, Weather and Sports

Feb 8, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WLTX-TV Columbia

Friends and family are returning to South Carolina State University to remember three men killed and 27 injured after being shot by police at the school during a civil rights protest.

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Dec 6, 2013
Rosa Bogar

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

Judged:

Black History I am most proud that my papers on "Civil Rights Remembrance Day" has been accapted at the Shomburg Center in Research on Black Culture. The Center is the largest repository of materical on people of African decent.The Schomburg Collection also includes the papers of Malcolm X, Julian Bond, Jim Brown and most recently Maya Angelou.Truly this is one of the highlighof my life! "securing a legacy for the future" Rosa Bogar
Rosa Bogar

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

Judged:

Black History Two African Americans have resolutions pending at the General Assembly in Columbia, South Carolina. The first is to establish "A Eartha kitt Day in South Carolina",and the other is to name US Highway 301 from Interstate 26 to Homestead Road to honor the late political figure Thomas moss.Both South Carolinians have contributed greatly to South carolina and beyond. I am a native of Orangeburg, South Carolina. Rosa Mavins Bogar
Rosa Bogar

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2011

Black History-The Schomburg Center has accepted some of my work on Civil Rights Remembrance Day.The papers includes noted icons of the Orangeburg Movement,such as Dr. Gloria Rackley Blackwell,Dr. Cleveland sellers of the Orangeburg Massacre,Cecil J.Williams,Hon.Matthew J.Perry Jr.,Hon.James E.Clyburn,Dr.Geneva H. Southall,Dr.Robert Howard and many others. I am most proud that my work is at the Schomburg Center in Research on Black Culture. Rosa Bogar
Rosa Bogar

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2011

Honorable Matthew J. Perry Jr. spoke of the plight of young African-American as keynote speaker for "Civil Rights Remembrance Day" in Orangeburg, South Carolina on May,4th 1997 at Trinity United Methodist Church.He spoke of this great concern just before he passed away, days before his 90th birthday.Judge Perry was still active on the bench at the federal courthouse that bears his name. We must continue the legacy of Hon.Matthew J. Perry Jr. to fight for equal rights for all people, and especially our young African_American males.
Rosa Bogar

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2011

I hope that my story could be told,as to what it was like to grow up in a family of thirteen children in the segregated south. Today twelve of us are in the land of the living! We are bless, but having some problems understanding how bless we are. I do not know if growing up in segregation had its advantage or disadvantage on our lives,and how ? This is one to yet be reckoned with. Rosa Mavins Bogar I am a native of Orangeburg, South Carolina. If there is an interest on our stories "A dozen of us Now" brown eggs Please contact me.Thanks,Rosa Bogar
Rosa Bogar

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2011

South Carolins State University is having a memorial tribute for the Honorable Matthew J.Perry Jr.Judge Perry was the keynote speaker for a homecoming commemoration at Trinity Methodist United Church on May,4.1997 in Orangeburg,South Carolina.The late Mayor Martin C.Cheatham proclaimed the day "Civil Rights Remembrance Day"This was Perry's first speech in Orangeburg since the movement.He accepted my invitation by saying that he looked forward to seeing the many people he was fortunate to represent,and hope that he did a good job.The Times and Democrat Newspaper covered the historic celebration.Some poineers were reunited for the first time in more than thirty years.I still wish to purchase copies of photos of Perry and me at the celebration taken by Cecil J. Williams.This request has not yet been fullfilled' I am a native of Orangeburg,South Carolina,and the visionary of[CRRD] Thanks for allowing me to share TRUTH! Rosa Mavins Bogar note,Perry legacy will live on through my collection at the South Carolina Historical Society and through the Schomburg Center.A-shaa
Rosa Bogar

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2012

Feb.8th will mark 44 years since the Orangeburg Massacre. My work on Civil Rights Remembrance Day includes matericals on the Orangeburg Massacre.A proclamation was declared by the late Martin C. Cheatham on May 4th,1997 proclaming that day in the City of Orangeburg,South Carolina.The Orangeburg Massacre is mentioned in the proclamation.I have worked very hard on this history!Visit THe Civil Rights History Project for more info. on this collection.My work can be found in other repositories. I encouraged other African Americans to document their work especially the women Thanks, for allowing me to share TRUTH!
Rosa Bogar

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2012

I have been sharing for years about a marker that is related with slavery and the Civil War.This marker has the date 1861 on it.This marker is in the black community where I grew up.This community is on the outskirt of the City of Orangeburg,South Carolina.I often wondered if any homes should have been built on this land.I played on this marker growing up ,it is just across the street from where my grandmother lived. This community is still all Black and seemed to be more divided by class than race.Let us learn more about this marker and give some kind of credit to me for sharing this important history! Thanks, Rosa Bogar
Still Never P C

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2012

The news is orangeburg sux! Well, I guess that's not really news to anyone who can read AND write their own names. Don't rile the Massa, Ise be needin' my minimum wage... All slaves revolt! Escape this sewer of ignorance and despair while you still can!
Rosa Bogar

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2012

This poem still resonates with me today as it did of the loss of these precoius children. God's Heavenly Garden You blossom into our world! but, never reaching full bloom, your beauty taken away far, far too soon! You are now. in God's Heavenly Garden.your beauty now shines from above.Here on earth-Ja'van and Devean you are sadly missed and loved.This poem is dedicated to Ja'van and Devean Duley of Orangeburg, South Carolina by Rosa Bogar a native of Orangeburg. Play in peace A-shaa!
Rosa Bogar

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2012

On March 1st in Syracuse, New York the mayor of Syracuse,proclaimed "Willie "Taters" Mavins Recognition Day in the City. "Taters is a native of Orangeburg, South Carolina. Read the story on the internet.I am proud of this honor for my brother.Rosa Mavins Bogar
Rosa Bogar

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2013

Judged:

Nelson Mandela still remains one of my greatest heroes of all times When I was at low points of my live I only had to say Mandela! I will continue to say Mandela when there are low points in my life. A-shaa to the spirit of Nelson Mandela. Rosa Bogar

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent South Carolina State University Discussions

Search the South Carolina State University Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Black Caucus Wants Eckstrom to Apologize May '14 Taxpayer 3
Senators to discuss future of SC State (May '12) May '12 Yana 2
Actor Terrence Howard congratulates S.C. State ... (May '12) May '12 Celia 1
Lawmaker Calls for Public Hearing on SC State U... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Lonewolf 1
Hundreds mark MLK holiday outside SC capitol (Jan '12) Jan '12 Eyes Wide Open 1
Leave a Comment (Nov '08) Dec '11 Phoenix Asphalt Company 7
Group marks 100 years of brotherhood (Aug '11) Aug '11 kool_kid90 4
•••
•••