Ida B. Wells' courageous life

Ida B. Wells' courageous life

There are 15 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Apr 11, 2009, titled Ida B. Wells' courageous life. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

On July 7, 1893, in Bardwell, Ky., a small town near the Missouri border, an African-American man named C. J. Miller was hanged and burned for the murder of two white girls, Ruby and Mary Ray.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Just Joined”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#1 Jun 14, 2009
This terrible act was not done by the people of Bardwell. I have researched this extensively, even talking with the niece of the two murdered girls. People arrived from several states, broke into the jail, dragged the innocent black man out, and hung him. His guilt was never established, however, the people who murdered him were indeed guilty.
taco

Louisville, KY

#2 Apr 13, 2012
Bardwell did it, and u know it. I bet the last names of the lynch mob leaders are still in your town.
taco

Louisville, KY

#3 Apr 13, 2012
http://books.google.com/books...

Ida B Wells is the US first investigative reporter.
thinking

United States

#4 Apr 14, 2012
I know this is a terrible crime and a sad story, but honestly it was forever ago. I really don't even see your point in bringing this up. We cannot control the past, no matter how bad it is. Just because this happened in Bardwell then, doesn't mean the town now a days is pro lynching. Get real!
taco

Louisville, KY

#5 Apr 14, 2012
belief isn't evidence.
GW

Herndon, VA

#6 Apr 15, 2012
Who cares?? You are all living well off the government now with no worries thanks t your ancestors. They never should have brought those Africans over here to work. You know things are probably much better in africa now. Get over
taco

Louisville, KY

#7 Apr 15, 2012
you dont know anything about me, and it's not true, and wow, what a gigantic racist. glad ida b wells has taught kkkentuckkkians absolutely nothing.
wwow

La Center, KY

#8 Apr 16, 2012
GW wrote:
Who cares?? You are all living well off the government now with no worries thanks t your ancestors. They never should have brought those Africans over here to work. You know things are probably much better in africa now. Get over
If it wasn't for "those Africans" we probably wouldn't have some stuff we have right now! Just because they are a different color than us by no means does that mean they are different! Damn it's like someone can't do so
Something wrong by getting judge by what color they are! Like seriously get a life and stop being racist! That's the first thing in this world that makes me mad is racist people!
taco

Louisville, KY

#9 Apr 16, 2012
it takes no courage to be a racist.
wwow

La Center, KY

#10 Apr 16, 2012
taco wrote:
it takes no courage to be a racist.
What do ya mean by that?
taco

Louisville, KY

#11 Apr 16, 2012
95% of ky is wyte. what courage does it take to look at the blacks, and blame all ur problems on them ? what's next ? the Jews ? if anybody says the Jews caused Kys problems, I'd laugh in their face. In fact, I dont think I've EVER met one Jew in Kentucky, no joke. Come to think of it, I've only met 1 Indian. If I hear about an Indian or a Jew gettin shot b/c they were wearing a hoodie, or because they were making money, or were drunk, I'll be going SimonGirty/NatTurner/AbeLincol n/JohnBrown all over errboby! Not only should they be safe here, since the south is "hospitable", and "yeah, it's that friendly", as Patton claims, but wheres the southern hospitality? where's the acceptance of people for their wonderful differences? aint none of us the same. our fingerprints and eyeballs are different. hating Black folks is like hating Left-handed People. There's a minority of them. It takes no courage to hate the minority of anything. As Roberts Rules of Order says, the majority get their way, and the minority get their say... so go ahead Chief Dragging Canoe, you get your say, but the whites gonna get their way anyways... so why u whites gotta get all bent outta shape over anything any socially disadvantaged group says? You no who pisses me off? Fat people. I'm not skinny, but I ain't fat. U gotta be the laziest losiest b on the planet to be as big as some of these walmart/mcdonalds/wafflehousee mployees are... like seriously! While I say this online, I don't tell them... that's mean! And with Ky being 33% fat adults and 40% fat kids, there's lots of minorities to snub your noses up at somebody if u need to feel superior to somebody else... and weight, most of the time, unlike skin color, is something you can actually control! So stop the hate... but if u gotta hate somebody, hate fat people. Thank you. Also, if u see a person who believes in the Judea religion (can u believe they actually believe in the Old Testament?), let me know. I'm curious about them. I don't hate them. It takes courage to be against the mob, against the lynch mob, to be the one person who stands in front of the crowd, and says that what they are about to do, in their murderous mob mentality frenzy, is wrong and unjust, and not fair, nor civilized. Be like captain AmeriKKKa, and say, "NO... you move."

http://www.zoom-comics.com/wp-content/uploads...
?

La Center, KY

#12 Apr 17, 2012
taco wrote:
95% of ky is wyte. what courage does it take to look at the blacks, and blame all ur problems on them ? what's next ? the Jews ? if anybody says the Jews caused Kys problems, I'd laugh in their face. In fact, I dont think I've EVER met one Jew in Kentucky, no joke. Come to think of it, I've only met 1 Indian. If I hear about an Indian or a Jew gettin shot b/c they were wearing a hoodie, or because they were making money, or were drunk, I'll be going SimonGirty/NatTurner/AbeLincol n/JohnBrown all over errboby! Not only should they be safe here, since the south is "hospitable", and "yeah, it's that friendly", as Patton claims, but wheres the southern hospitality? where's the acceptance of people for their wonderful differences? aint none of us the same. our fingerprints and eyeballs are different. hating Black folks is like hating Left-handed People. There's a minority of them. It takes no courage to hate the minority of anything. As Roberts Rules of Order says, the majority get their way, and the minority get their say... so go ahead Chief Dragging Canoe, you get your say, but the whites gonna get their way anyways... so why u whites gotta get all bent outta shape over anything any socially disadvantaged group says? You no who pisses me off? Fat people. I'm not skinny, but I ain't fat. U gotta be the laziest losiest b on the planet to be as big as some of these walmart/mcdonalds/wafflehousee mployees are... like seriously! While I say this online, I don't tell them... that's mean! And with Ky being 33% fat adults and 40% fat kids, there's lots of minorities to snub your noses up at somebody if u need to feel superior to somebody else... and weight, most of the time, unlike skin color, is something you can actually control! So stop the hate... but if u gotta hate somebody, hate fat people. Thank you. Also, if u see a person who believes in the Judea religion (can u believe they actually believe in the Old Testament?), let me know. I'm curious about them. I don't hate them. It takes courage to be against the mob, against the lynch mob, to be the one person who stands in front of the crowd, and says that what they are about to do, in their murderous mob mentality frenzy, is wrong and unjust, and not fair, nor civilized. Be like captain AmeriKKKa, and say, "NO... you move."

http://www.zoom-comics.com/wp-content/uploads...
I agree with you! Amen to that!
wwow

La Center, KY

#13 Apr 17, 2012
taco wrote:
95% of ky is wyte. what courage does it take to look at the blacks, and blame all ur problems on them ? what's next ? the Jews ? if anybody says the Jews caused Kys problems, I'd laugh in their face. In fact, I dont think I've EVER met one Jew in Kentucky, no joke. Come to think of it, I've only met 1 Indian. If I hear about an Indian or a Jew gettin shot b/c they were wearing a hoodie, or because they were making money, or were drunk, I'll be going SimonGirty/NatTurner/AbeLincol n/JohnBrown all over errboby! Not only should they be safe here, since the south is "hospitable", and "yeah, it's that friendly", as Patton claims, but wheres the southern hospitality? where's the acceptance of people for their wonderful differences? aint none of us the same. our fingerprints and eyeballs are different. hating Black folks is like hating Left-handed People. There's a minority of them. It takes no courage to hate the minority of anything. As Roberts Rules of Order says, the majority get their way, and the minority get their say... so go ahead Chief Dragging Canoe, you get your say, but the whites gonna get their way anyways... so why u whites gotta get all bent outta shape over anything any socially disadvantaged group says? You no who pisses me off? Fat people. I'm not skinny, but I ain't fat. U gotta be the laziest losiest b on the planet to be as big as some of these walmart/mcdonalds/wafflehousee mployees are... like seriously! While I say this online, I don't tell them... that's mean! And with Ky being 33% fat adults and 40% fat kids, there's lots of minorities to snub your noses up at somebody if u need to feel superior to somebody else... and weight, most of the time, unlike skin color, is something you can actually control! So stop the hate... but if u gotta hate somebody, hate fat people. Thank you. Also, if u see a person who believes in the Judea religion (can u believe they actually believe in the Old Testament?), let me know. I'm curious about them. I don't hate them. It takes courage to be against the mob, against the lynch mob, to be the one person who stands in front of the crowd, and says that what they are about to do, in their murderous mob mentality frenzy, is wrong and unjust, and not fair, nor civilized. Be like captain AmeriKKKa, and say, "NO... you move."

http://www.zoom-comics.com/wp-content/uploads...
You just said it all! I HATE RACIST PEOPLE IS ALLI CAN SAY! Like we are the same in gods eyes and we are all the sane in my eyes! Old red neck racist hicks make me sick! And I agree with u about the fat part! I hate when people are to lazy sitting on their butt to get a job! But I still like some fat people lol!
taco

Louisville, KY

#14 Apr 17, 2012
wwow wrote:
<quoted text>
You just said it all! I HATE RACIST PEOPLE IS ALLI CAN SAY! Like we are the same in gods eyes and we are all the sane in my eyes! Old red neck racist hicks make me sick! And I agree with u about the fat part! I hate when people are to lazy sitting on their butt to get a job! But I still like some fat people lol!
i shouldn't have scapegoated them, but it's just that there's more of a reason to hate somebody for something they control than something they dont. fat people are jolly. i'm a huge fan of Roseanne. i dont hate them... i just wanna jog w/'em!
wwow

La Center, KY

#15 Apr 17, 2012
taco wrote:
<quoted text>i shouldn't have scapegoated them, but it's just that there's more of a reason to hate somebody for something they control than something they dont. fat people are jolly. i'm a huge fan of Roseanne. i dont hate them... i just wanna jog w/'em!
Lol your funny! I agree!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smith College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News More Colleges Say the SAT Doesn't Pass the Test (Feb '16) Feb '16 ubuhby 1
News Springfield police seek missing teen Maia Sprue... (Jul '15) Jul '15 ibhenryb2013 1
News Islamic Feminism Splits Muslim CommunityBy Shah... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Joe 2
News Think Progress to Fox News's Roger Ailes: Drop ... (Aug '14) Aug '14 i agree 1
News Nigeria in the eyes of Babs Omotowa (May '14) May '14 Otondo 2
News As college students walk, speakers walk away (May '14) May '14 ROSENBERG 1
News Smith College Students Continue Fight Over"Disc... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Muscles28079 1
More from around the web