NY notifies nearly 900 workers slated...

NY notifies nearly 900 workers slated for layoffs

There are 11 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Nov 21, 2010, titled NY notifies nearly 900 workers slated for layoffs. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

31 are receiving information about their rights to bump other union workers in a grim holiday mailing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

Bill

Panama City Beach, FL

#1 Nov 21, 2010
The chickens have come home to roost, overpaid underworked state workers. This is too good.
Acorn Annie

Pompano Beach, FL

#2 Nov 21, 2010
Bill wrote:
The chickens have come home to roost, overpaid underworked state workers. This is too good.
Just part of Obama's stimulus program
driscoll

Schroon Lake, NY

#3 Nov 21, 2010
Everyone else has been layed off or hours cut.Get rid of the union and put that money into a fund to save jobs. NY state taxes are one of the highest in the nation. NY working class Americans can,t afford you anymore
zeldo

Middleburgh, NY

#4 Nov 22, 2010
driscoll wrote:
Everyone else has been layed off or hours cut.Get rid of the union and put that money into a fund to save jobs. NY state taxes are one of the highest in the nation. NY working class Americans can,t afford you anymore
we concur with having the highest taxes and surcharges, but leave the state workers alone, and start cutting from the gov's office on the way down. there is a lot of waste at the higher level's of government.
Dave

Grovetown, GA

#5 Nov 22, 2010
Eliminate the unions and outsource the work to private contractors. Efficiency will increase and the cost and number of workers will decrease. The Demo-rats can't bear the thought of that because the unions are their paid for voters. Can you say corrupt to the core.
zeldo

Middleburgh, NY

#6 Nov 22, 2010
]Eliminate the unions and outsource the work to private contractors. Efficiency will increase and the cost and number of workers will decrease. The Demo-rats can't bear the thought of that because the unions are their paid for voters. Can you say corrupt to the core.
disagree with eliminating the uniions.
folks fought for many years for good wages and benny's.....
driscoll

Schroon Lake, NY

#7 Nov 22, 2010
zeldo wrote:
<quoted text>
we concur with having the highest taxes and surcharges, but leave the state workers alone, and start cutting from the gov's office on the way down. there is a lot of waste at the higher level's of government.
True,cutting the worker bee,s is not going to do it,I haven,t heard any thing about the Higher level of government being cut,I guess it is a watch and wait Thanskiving and Christmas are going back to the true meaning, Its not about gifts and expensive things,Just to have family and friends being alive and healthy.Live within your means,getting downsided is not as bad.They brodcasted today that last month the nation had the highest record of last morgage payments.The worst is yet to come
TheTruthHurts

Clifton Park, NY

#8 Nov 22, 2010
zeldo wrote:
]Eliminate the unions and outsource the work to private contractors. Efficiency will increase and the cost and number of workers will decrease. The Demo-rats can't bear the thought of that because the unions are their paid for voters. Can you say corrupt to the core.
disagree with eliminating the uniions.
folks fought for many years for good wages and benny's.....
What a brilliant idea! We all know how cost-efficient private contractors are.

How do you think contractors make money? They pay both the employee AND themelves...truly a great idea.
unions protect the lazy

Rochester, NY

#9 Nov 23, 2010
Want to talk about state waste....how about the tryon facility. It has to remain open for a year while housing no one. All because state and union contracts say so.....sounds like the fleecing of ny to me.
zeldo

Middleburgh, NY

#10 Nov 23, 2010
unions protect the lazy wrote:
Want to talk about state waste....how about the tryon facility. It has to remain open for a year while housing no one. All because state and union contracts say so.....sounds like the fleecing of ny to me.
that is true.
Sillb

Albany, NY

#11 Jun 14, 2011
driscoll wrote:
Everyone else has been layed off or hours cut.Get rid of the union and put that money into a fund to save jobs. NY state taxes are one of the highest in the nation. NY working class Americans can,t afford you anymore
.

What about NYS United Teachers? Have they given anything back? Did you ever check to see what their retirement is? Have you looked to see what they pay towards their health insurance? How about the simple thought of being given 100% job security as a teacher after 10 years???? Does anyone get that? No! But is anyone in the State going after NYSUT and teacher tenure? Our taxes are rising, because school taxes are rising and I don't see NYSUT giving anything back. Additionally, I was a State employee for 20+ years and worked my buns off and seldom took lunch or a break - I now work in the private sector. Guess what - the lazy people work in the private sector too and get to keep their jobs. It has to do with a person's work ethics and how they were raised - not where they work!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Siena College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Fray: Trump, Clinton lead by far in poll of... (May '16) May '16 Three Days 1
News Siena poll: Cuomoa s favorability at a new low (May '15) Jun '15 Ray Cathode 2
News Upstate voters support NY fracking ban, poll says (Jan '15) Jan '15 conklincolt 15
News Embattled Rep. Michael Grimm has a real shot at... (Oct '14) Oct '14 barefoot2626 4
News Sen. Jack Martins leads Adam Haber in 7th Senat... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Just Saying 1
News New York Rep. Rangel holds strong lead ahead of... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Asian Guy 9
News Over 80 PERCENT Of New York Residents Say Commo... (Jun '14) Jun '14 MacDaddyobama 1
More from around the web