At Westmont College, The Goal Isn't Forming a GSA. It's Being Able To 'Practice Homosexuality'

Feb 17, 2011 | Posted by: Rick in Kansas | Full story: www.queerty.com

Stop me if you've heard this one before: University bans students from forming official gay-straight alliance .

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

What an awesome letter. This should be available to every questioning person, and to those that are struggling with coming out. How can we get this message to our most vulnerable children???
Frank Stanton

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

Last week I PROUDLY engaged in WILD HOMOSEXUAL DEBAUCHERY by watching "The Wizard Of Oz" on tv !

:)
Sgt Common Sense

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

Frank Stanton wrote:
Last week I PROUDLY engaged in WILD HOMOSEXUAL DEBAUCHERY by watching "The Wizard Of Oz" on tv !
You are most definitely going straight to hell for that.
Frank Stanton

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

Sgt Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
You are most definitely going straight to hell for that.
I kno.

:(

I was going to make up for it by watching "Miracle On 34th Street" the other day, but forgot it was on and watched a bunch of episodes of "FRASIER" instead.
Frank Stanton

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

Ok, how many gay actors have appeared on "FRASIER" either as a regular character or a guest ?

Here Kitty Kitty

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

The two colleges listed are run by orgasm Nazis
Feed 'em to the lions

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

From the letter: "You can choose to reexamine the scriptures that are used against homosexuals and decide if they are speaking out against same sex attraction as we know it today. You can choose to believe God honors a same-sex monogamous committed relationship. You can choose to believe you can be both gay and a Christian."

Ugh. How can people have any convictions in their beliefs of this stuff, when it can be so pliantly sculpted to suit anyone? You can choose to believe that greedy green gremlins wrote the Old Testament, and that pretty pink ponies wrote the New Testament, if Christianity can be whatever you choose it to be. Why not just invent your OWN religion, and choose to believe THAT, if your own personal beliefs are all that matter?

Gay people, stay AWAY from Christianity. It DOES (pointlessly) condemn homosexuality, no matter WHAT self-comforting revisions are imposed on it. ALL the Abrahamic religions do. But the rule against homosexuality is only one among dozens of ridiculous rules, rules that Christians don't bother following, and couldn't defend if you asked them to their face. Shellfish? Really?

NO ONE truly knows anything about gods, or the supernatural, and if they tell you that they do, they're either lying to you or to themselves. No one is in any position to tell you if how you're living is wrong or right, as long as you obey the law of your city, state, and nation. Don't give power or authority to those who assert without evidence that their speculations are truth, especially if they tell you that their speculations give them the right to disenfranchise you from society.

Live kindly and generously, without causing harm to others. That's the only rule we need to live by. If there are gods who have other rules, demand that they deliver their messages THEMSELVES, they should certainly be capable. Distrust any human "ambassadors" who claim to carry a god's words FOR it.
Frank Stanton

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

EdmondWA wrote:
From the letter: "You can choose to reexamine the scriptures that are used against homosexuals and decide if they are speaking out against same sex attraction as we know it today. You can choose to believe God honors a same-sex monogamous committed relationship. You can choose to believe you can be both gay and a Christian."
Ugh. How can people have any convictions in their beliefs of this stuff, when it can be so pliantly sculpted to suit anyone? You can choose to believe that greedy green gremlins wrote the Old Testament, and that pretty pink ponies wrote the New Testament, if Christianity can be whatever you choose it to be. Why not just invent your OWN religion, and choose to believe THAT, if your own personal beliefs are all that matter?
Gay people, stay AWAY from Christianity. It DOES (pointlessly) condemn homosexuality, no matter WHAT self-comforting revisions are imposed on it. ALL the Abrahamic religions do. But the rule against homosexuality is only one among dozens of ridiculous rules, rules that Christians don't bother following, and couldn't defend if you asked them to their face. Shellfish? Really?
NO ONE truly knows anything about gods, or the supernatural, and if they tell you that they do, they're either lying to you or to themselves. No one is in any position to tell you if how you're living is wrong or right, as long as you obey the law of your city, state, and nation. Don't give power or authority to those who assert without evidence that their speculations are truth, especially if they tell you that their speculations give them the right to disenfranchise you from society.
Live kindly and generously, without causing harm to others. That's the only rule we need to live by. If there are gods who have other rules, demand that they deliver their messages THEMSELVES, they should certainly be capable. Distrust any human "ambassadors" who claim to carry a god's words FOR it.
It is YOU who obviously truly knows nothing about God.
Dexter

Earlwood, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Frank Stanton wrote:
Ok, how many gay actors have appeared on "FRASIER" either as a regular character or a guest ?
John Mahoney, who plays frasier's dad, came out a few years ago. Unrelated but also interesting: Kelsey Grammer admitted to being heavily intoxicated during much of the filming for the first few seasons.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
No one does. You can't really even USE the word "know" in this context. That's why religions use the word "faith" instead. If you actually HAVE "knowledge", there's no NEED for faith. If you're taking something on faith, you do it because you lack the concrete knowledge. All scripture is speculative fiction.

Where is some PROOF that ANYTHING ANYONE has EVER said about gods has been true? People used to believe that gods carried the sun across the sky, but that wasn't true. Some people TODAY believe that natural disasters are god's punishments (his poorly timed, poorly aimed punishments). Is this true? Two people making claims about gods may not even make the SAME claims, but they'll both claim to be right. Why is this always about CLAIMS, and what you BELIEVE, and what you have to take on FAITH? Where is the CONCRETE EVIDENCE that proves that Christians are more right than Mormons or Muslims or Hindus or Wiccans? Why should ANY religion be believed over any other, or believed at all?

Gods haven't told me anything, and they haven't told you anything. Anything you've EVER heard that supposedly came from gods, you heard it from other PEOPLE. Why trust THEM?

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Frank Stanton wrote:
And then there's this:
EdmondWA wrote:
But the rule against homosexuality is only one among dozens of ridiculous rules, rules that Christians don't bother following, and couldn't defend if you asked them to their face. Shellfish? Really?
Really, Frank? Shellfish? Can you defend this rule? Can you defend the rules against homosexuality? Against cutting the hair or beard? Against wearing mixed fibers? Are these IMPORTANT rules, NECESSARY for society, handed down from an omnipotent creator? Were they EVER?

What about rules that condone slavery? The bible gives us instructions on WHO can be a slave, how LONG they can be kept, how to trick them into PERMANENT slavery, and how much they can be BEATEN. The bible says that women who are menstruating should be quarantined outside of town for a week. Are THESE good rules? Can you defend THESE?

Christians can make simple, ominous sounding declarations like "It is YOU who obviously truly knows nothing about God", but they can never back it up with what THEY know, or HOW they know it. And they always fail to defend the garbage parts of the bible, even though every word of it is supposed to come from perfection and wisdom. Let's hear what you know about shellfish, and we'll see if it fits with what we know about reality.
Frank Stanton

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
And then there's this:
<quoted text>
Really, Frank? Shellfish? Can you defend this rule? Can you defend the rules against homosexuality? Against cutting the hair or beard? Against wearing mixed fibers? Are these IMPORTANT rules, NECESSARY for society, handed down from an omnipotent creator? Were they EVER?
What about rules that condone slavery? The bible gives us instructions on WHO can be a slave, how LONG they can be kept, how to trick them into PERMANENT slavery, and how much they can be BEATEN. The bible says that women who are menstruating should be quarantined outside of town for a week. Are THESE good rules? Can you defend THESE?
Christians can make simple, ominous sounding declarations like "It is YOU who obviously truly knows nothing about God", but they can never back it up with what THEY know, or HOW they know it. And they always fail to defend the garbage parts of the bible, even though every word of it is supposed to come from perfection and wisdom. Let's hear what you know about shellfish, and we'll see if it fits with what we know about reality.
You're obviously a WACKO !

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Frank Stanton wrote:
You're obviously a WACKO !
Ok, so you have NO response, NO explanation, NO defense. But then, that WAS my point. There ARE none. This nonsense is indefensible. And if it CONDEMNS homosexuality out of some primitive sense of values, then it should be avoided by homosexuals. And if it can simply be "re-interpreted" to fit ANY values, then it's worthless for demonstrating conviction, it offers no actual truth, and it's no more relevant than any other belief system. Or none at all. Or one made-up on the spot.

I don't know what about that makes me "obviously a WACKO". I'm not rambling or writing gibberish, I'm not even going overboard with my CAPS LOCK. I'm presenting POINTS, I'm doing it with as much logic and reason and rational thought as I can muster, and I'm looking for logical, reasonable, rational rebuttals. Although I'll admit, I don't expect any good ones.

Look, try to see it my way. If YOU say that god has NO PROBLEM with homosexuals, and oh, let's say... Pekin, HE says that god will burn my FLESH off for ALL ETERNITY for being gay, who do I believe? Which of you is right? How do we know? How CAN we know? Can we CHECK with god? No, he's not talking? Can we check the BIBLE? Oh wait, you're both using the SAME ONE? So what's the DEAL? Why do you disagree? Can you BOTH be right? Could you both be WRONG? What should a skeptical person DO to be SURE?

I think these are valid questions. They're not wacko, as far as I can tell. Religion, and religious people, are just poor at answering them. But until you DO, I can't recommend your religion, especially for gay people.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••