Charlotte News - Local News Charlotte...

Charlotte News - Local News Charlotte | Charlotte Observer

There are 12 comments on the www.charlotte.com story from Jul 13, 2008, titled Charlotte News - Local News Charlotte | Charlotte Observer. In it, www.charlotte.com reports that:

Methadone, long prescribed as an alternative to heroin, is proving to be a hazard of its own.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.charlotte.com.

“Out to ban methadone”

Since: Jun 08

High Point, NC

#1 Jul 13, 2008
Thanks Maurreen and look forward to the rest of this story. Thank you for caring.

Ban Methadone

“Out to ban methadone”

High Point, NC

#2 Jul 13, 2008
This part was added and much more is suppose to come out.

At a glance
In North Carolina, less than 5 percent of those who died from accidental methadone overdoses from 1997 through 2001 were identified as current or former patients at clinics that use methadone to treat drug addiction.

But some families of victims perceive the clinics as a larger threat.

Last year, the state linked fatalities to a Statesville clinic, one of eight operated by McLeod Addictive Disease Center, a nonprofit organization based in Charlotte. McLeod was fined $27,000, and the state said McLeod did not properly report the deaths of several clients.

The company is appealing the findings.

Source: MCT

“HELPING PREVENT DIVERSION”

Tampa, FL

#3 Jul 13, 2008
I cant' believe how many physicians' dont' educate their patients' regarding the dangers of methadone. I agree that this has come down to the physician needing to take responsiblity of prescribing practices that will inform patients' of the dangers associated with methadone.

If patients' cant' trust their physicians' then in order to prescribe methadone, physicians' should have extensive training in the pharmacology of methadone and possibly a mandated warning sheet like we produce for our patients' regarding the dangers.

Tampa, FL

#4 Jul 13, 2008
Also, just to add a bit more, we also use a video, scare tactics (such as the doctor explaining in detail the dangers and that there is the possibility of death), along with an extensive education session given to ALL patients' taking methadone.

“Out to ban methadone”

High Point, NC

#5 Jul 13, 2008
PainFree wrote:
I cant' believe how many physicians' dont' educate their patients' regarding the dangers of methadone. I agree that this has come down to the physician needing to take responsiblity of prescribing practices that will inform patients' of the dangers associated with methadone.
If patients' cant' trust their physicians' then in order to prescribe methadone, physicians' should have extensive training in the pharmacology of methadone and possibly a mandated warning sheet like we produce for our patients' regarding the dangers.
It's hard to believe, I know. I met the father of the victim who died from being prescribed the 80 mg of methadone right off the bat and her story is very tragic. She gave so much of herself to helping other's and in the end, going to a doctor for her proved tragic. Thank you Pain Free again, for all you do and I sincerely mean that. You are a gem, I started to say jewel but jewel was this young lady's name and a jewel she was.

“Out to ban methadone”

High Point, NC

#6 Jul 13, 2008
PainFree wrote:
Also, just to add a bit more, we also use a video, scare tactics (such as the doctor explaining in detail the dangers and that there is the possibility of death), along with an extensive education session given to ALL patients' taking methadone.

Much respect to this doctor and all his staff. I wish he/she could be a part of educating these other doctor's. The deaths could very easily decrease with doctor's like this. And, when all is said and done, this is what we all want. If the deaths continue to climb, I believe methadone will eventually be taken off the market but if they can get this epidemic under control, then everyone wins.

Tampa, FL

#7 Jul 13, 2008
Ban Methadone wrote:
<quoted text>
Much respect to this doctor and all his staff. I wish he/she could be a part of educating these other doctor's. The deaths could very easily decrease with doctor's like this. And, when all is said and done, this is what we all want. If the deaths continue to climb, I believe methadone will eventually be taken off the market but if they can get this epidemic under control, then everyone wins.
We are doing all we can in working with law enforcement and the DEA right now to help control diversion. You have all inspired me to work harder and believe me educating doctors' will be a part of my fight.

Methadone does' truly help thousands of people in my clinic, but now I am also beginning to understand the debate much more clearly from being here at Topix. Thank you, again you are ALL truly an inspiration for me to work harder in helping the fight against diversion and mandating education regarding methadones' dangers.

“GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!”

Since: Apr 08

Still there......

#8 Jul 13, 2008
PainFree wrote:
<quoted text>
We are doing all we can in working with law enforcement and the DEA right now to help control diversion. You have all inspired me to work harder and believe me educating doctors' will be a part of my fight.
Methadone does' truly help thousands of people in my clinic, but now I am also beginning to understand the debate much more clearly from being here at Topix. Thank you, again you are ALL truly an inspiration for me to work harder in helping the fight against diversion and mandating education regarding methadones' dangers.
And we could say the same of you for being an inspiration in the fight against diversion, and your pain clinic as well. I really hope that what you guys are doing there will catch on in other places, because I truly believe that lives WILL be saved if it does. It's very nice to know that there are doctors and clinics out there that educate their patients. Here, it falls upon the patient to read the printout they get from the pharmacy. I personally would research anything before I ingested it. But...then again, that's just me...

Tampa, FL

#9 Jul 13, 2008
mike1975 wrote:
<quoted text>
And we could say the same of you for being an inspiration in the fight against diversion, and your pain clinic as well. I really hope that what you guys are doing there will catch on in other places, because I truly believe that lives WILL be saved if it does. It's very nice to know that there are doctors and clinics out there that educate their patients. Here, it falls upon the patient to read the printout they get from the pharmacy. I personally would research anything before I ingested it. But...then again, that's just me...
Thanks again Mike for your support. I believe all of us can make a difference by working together on the issues we believe in. Clinics cannot allow patients to walk out without educating regarding methadone. An insert from the pharmacy is just not enough when it comes to methadone.

“GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!”

Since: Apr 08

Still there......

#10 Jul 13, 2008
PainFree wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks again Mike for your support. I believe all of us can make a difference by working together on the issues we believe in. Clinics cannot allow patients to walk out without educating regarding methadone. An insert from the pharmacy is just not enough when it comes to methadone.
I'm a firm believer in that too. I have very limited info. about the pain clinic here, but can tell you that a person can make a difference in a mmt clinic, if they are willing to take the time and can get in contact with the right people. I'm sure it happens all the time, and I know personally that it has happened here this year.

Since: Dec 06

Durham, CT

#11 Jul 13, 2008
PainFree wrote:
Pain Free

That video sounds great....is there a way I can get a copy?

Melis

Tampa, FL

#12 Jul 13, 2008
Melis11577 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pain Free
That video sounds great....is there a way I can get a copy?
Melis
Im' not sure, but I will ask.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News RCC growth continues (Sep '10) Aug '12 mandy 2
News Salem College students tackle illegal immigration (Oct '11) Oct '11 FedUpWithIllegals 3
News Future of N.C. Governor's School in doubt; Ashe... (Jun '11) Jun '11 HuhHuh 1
News Minister Louis Farrakhan on The Michael Eric Dy... (Aug '10) Sep '10 knowitall 7
More from around the web