Scholars question Palin credentials

Aug 30, 2008 Full story: www.politico.com 2,027

Presidential scholars say she appears to be the least experienced, least credentialed person to join a major-party ticket in the modern era.

So unconventional was McCain’s choice that it left students of the presidency literally “stunned,” in the words of Joel Goldstein, a St. Louis University law professor and scholar of the vice presidency. Corrected to use Politico Link ... Full Story
First Prev
of 102
Next Last
running bear

Shakopee, MN

#1 Aug 30, 2008
even as they promote and encourage affirmative action!
OUCH

Chicago, IL

#2 Aug 30, 2008
Presidential Scholars? LOL! What? Are they ex-Presidents? Or just lefties that couldn't get a job in the real world? Obama has less experience than Palin and he is at the top of the ticket. This is great!

Zogby Poll: McCain up +2 over Obama based on poll taken post-Palin announcement (unlike Gallup):

From Zogby:
Released: August 30, 2008

"Brash McCain pick of AK Gov. Palin neutralizes historic Obama speech, stunts the Dems' convention bounce

UTICA, New York - Republican John McCain's surprise announcement Friday of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate - some 16 hours after Democrat Barack Obama's historic speech accepting his party’s presidential nomination - has possibly stunted any Obama convention bump, the latest Zogby Interactive flash poll of the race shows.

The latest nationwide survey, begun Friday afternoon after the McCain announcement of Palin as running mate and completed mid-afternoon today, shows McCain/Palin at 47%, compared to 45% support for Obama/Biden. "

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm...

Hey you sexist Liberals...keep on telling everyone how horrible Palin is...LOL!!!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Cheeze Whiz

Tampa, FL

#3 Aug 30, 2008
Think about it. We have the chance of a lifetime to place a middle class "hockey mom" mother of five as the head of the US Senate. How often have many of us wanted just this... for somebody who is a regular grounded person to be there for us as these guys take care of "their business". Think of the good that can come from this. If we miss this opportunity, we will probably never see it again. We *do* need change, and Obama is not it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sick and Tired

United States

#4 Aug 30, 2008
She has more experience than Obama!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#6 Aug 30, 2008
If the "scholars" question it, she MUST be the right choice!
running bear

Shakopee, MN

#7 Aug 30, 2008
Yes! Go McCain and Palin.
Bill R

South Bend, WA

#8 Aug 30, 2008
"Scholars?" Definition ... "self-selected elites
who believe the only qualified candidates for the
highest offices in the U.S. are graduates of Ivy
League schools or those verified as ideological
bastions of the left, as in Berkeley or Stanford."
Valen

Cary, NC

#9 Aug 30, 2008
Any moron with time & money can get a PHd at any major university in America, especially in the "social sciences". What are the credentials of these "so-called" experts?

If you can't do, teach,
If you can't teach, get your Phd.,
After you get your Phd.,
go to academia,
where you will never have to work,
and if you can't do that,
get a job in College administration,
and if you fail that,
always a job waiting for you
at the Federal Level.

Since: Aug 07

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Aug 30, 2008
the new "Mr Smith goes to Washington."

When I heard Sarah's acceptance speech, I literally cried. She's absolutely what we need. A servant-leader, NOT a polititian, a REAL PERSON.

Good on ya' John!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 08

United States

#11 Aug 30, 2008
Sick and Tired wrote:
The way that it could hurt is that it seriously undermines the McCain camp's constant refrain that Obama "isn't ready" to be President. Conservatives have been touting the fact that, well, she's got *executive* experience. But this rings hollow given that McCain has no executive experience either, NON, ZIP, ZERO. It's pretty hard to come up with a metric whereby Palin and McCain are qualified but Obama is not.

In fact, as the governor herself acknowledged in her acceptance speech, she never set out to be involved in public affairs. She has never publicly demonstrated the kind of interest, much less expertise, in federal issues and foreign affairs that should mark a candidate for the second-highest office in the land. Republicans rightfully have criticized the Democratic nominee, Sen. Barack Obama, for his lack of experience, but Palin is a neophyte in comparison; how will Republicans reconcile the criticism of Obama with the obligatory cheering for Palin?

“"The Consecrated Life"”

Since: Feb 08

Cazenovia, NY

#12 Aug 30, 2008
humor me here wrote:
the new "Mr Smith goes to Washington."
When I heard Sarah's acceptance speech, I literally cried. She's absolutely what we need. A servant-leader, NOT a polititian, a REAL PERSON.
Good on ya' John!
Amen to all that. She is a unique person, a breath of fresh air, and she will connect with America like no one before her.

Since: Apr 08

United States

#13 Aug 30, 2008
OUCH wrote:
Presidential Scholars? LOL! What? Are they ex-Presidents? Or just lefties that couldn't get a job in the real world? Obama has less experience than Palin and he is at the top of the ticket. This is great!
Zogby Poll: McCain up +2 over Obama based on poll taken post-Palin announcement (unlike Gallup):
From Zogby:
Released: August 30, 2008
"Brash McCain pick of AK Gov. Palin neutralizes historic Obama speech, stunts the Dems' convention bounce
UTICA, New York - Republican John McCain's surprise announcement Friday of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate - some 16 hours after Democrat Barack Obama's historic speech accepting his party’s presidential nomination - has possibly stunted any Obama convention bump, the latest Zogby Interactive flash poll of the race shows.
The latest nationwide survey, begun Friday afternoon after the McCain announcement of Palin as running mate and completed mid-afternoon today, shows McCain/Palin at 47%, compared to 45% support for Obama/Biden. "
http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm...
Hey you sexist Liberals...keep on telling everyone how horrible Palin is...LOL!!!!!
Sorry honey that poll is old now, McCain Dipped just like he's wanted to dip and drill Sarah.
Don Fowler is Primitive

El Paso, TX

#14 Aug 30, 2008
carey529 wrote:
If the "scholars" question it, she MUST be the right choice!
On a plane from Denver to Charlotte, NC following the Democrats' convention, former National Chairman of the Democratic National Committee Don Fowler, and Congressman John Spratt of South Carolina ; Laughing, stating that it is funny That New Orleans will get a hurricane.

‘That's funny because it is due to hit when the convention starts’.“Isn't that cool?” ; Fowler asks.

View it on You Tube:

john

Terre Haute, IN

#15 Aug 30, 2008
Has she abandon this five month old baby. Didn't see the baby on stage. What kind of a mom leaves a five month old baby?
E-Dls

Denton, TX

#16 Aug 30, 2008
This politico . com appears to be biased. Probably a black website or something. Everything on their site seems pro-osama.

But in the end, I would choose her over Obama anyday. I bet she didn't sit in a church for 20 years where she heard GD America. I bet she isn't friends with terrorists.

Look at Biden. His shifty eyes make me nervous.
Bobby G

Chicago, IL

#17 Aug 30, 2008
Stuipd Citizens wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry honey that poll is old now, McCain Dipped just like he's wanted to dip and drill Sarah.
If you'd follow the link, you'd see the poll is from today. It was taken over yesterday (Friday) and today. Ahhhh, don't be sad.
Smack Down

Chicago, IL

#18 Aug 30, 2008
About these so-called "scholars" quoted in the article:

"The McCain campaign issued the following statement: "The authors quote four scholars attacking Gov. Palin's fitness for the office of Vice President. Among them, David Kennedy is a maxed out Obama donor, Joel Goldstein is also an Obama donor, and Doris Kearns Goodwin has donated exclusively to Democrats this cycle. Finally, Matthew Dallek is a former speech writer for Dick Gephardt. This is not a story about scholars questioning Governor Palin's credentials so much as partisan Democrats who would find a reason to disqualify or discount any nominee put forward by Senator McCain.""
Carl

Billings, MT

#19 Aug 30, 2008
Stupid scholars and their schooling. Why cant the democrats just understand that 'facts' and 'study' and 'intellectual understanding' are for terrorists and not america! We shoot from the hip and ask questions later. If I wanted to 'learn' or 'understand the world', I'd go to china or some other dumb place that isnt the US of A! go mccain and his lady pawn! She has a vagina!
Responsibility

South San Francisco, CA

#20 Aug 30, 2008
I am pleased that a woman is in the running because it is about time and McBush 3 needs all the help he can get.

The major response to the vp news is incredibility, suprise, shock, bewilderment and the universal question Why? Why? Why?

I guess if McBush ever gets close to the White House, she (as a woman and inexperienced) will have to answer the question Why?
Rico Sarna

Tulsa, OK

#21 Aug 30, 2008
Sick and Tired wrote:
Has she been on the campaign trail for a year and a half, appeared on meet the press, dealt with national politics, visited Iraq, AFghanistan and spoken to thousands overseas? Must be if she has more national experience than Obama. When did she get this experince, between PTA meetings?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 102
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saint Louis University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amnesty International Blasts Handling of Mike B... Oct '14 reality is a crutch 4
Tension builds outside Ferguson police department Oct '14 in the know 3
Better Business Bureau to open office in Cape G... Jun '14 steven 5
Two from Laurel Honored By PGCC (Feb '09) Mar '14 Daughter 2
Pioneers of Contemporary Liturgical Music Reuni... (Mar '13) Feb '14 Anonymous 2
MO 2nd Amnd Preservation Act decried by man who... (Feb '14) Feb '14 2ndAmRight 25
State Senator wants background checks for healt... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Judy Cossins 1
More from around the web