Ripon Dedicates Million-Dollar Sports...

Ripon Dedicates Million-Dollar Sports Venue

There are 65 comments on the WBAY story from Sep 5, 2008, titled Ripon Dedicates Million-Dollar Sports Venue. In it, WBAY reports that:

A huge crowd was on-hand in Ripon Friday night as Ingalls Field was dedicated after a million-dollar renovation project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBAY.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Mad

Madison, WI

#1 Sep 6, 2008
This article is a total misrepresentation of the success of artificial turf in Ripon, as was the the first time WBAY reported on artifical turf back in 2007. The dedication was lame (no huge crowd in attendance) and the speakers were an embarassment for audiences to see what a bullying joke that town has become.
jack

United States

#2 Sep 7, 2008
I didn't vote for the turf, I am not proud of it.
I want accountablity for good teaching, safer parking at the schools. Field trips that engage our children and less of them to create more teaching time! less potholes at the hs parking lot!
rodger

Madison, WI

#3 Sep 9, 2008
In total agreement with jack!
Pro Ripon

Ripon, WI

#4 Sep 10, 2008
With all due respect, Mad, Jack, and Rodger, you 3 are simply nuts. From all the people that I've talked to they love the turf. It is safer for the kids, the dedication was classy and involved a well involved community.
And by the way, we have some of the finest teachers in the nation, our parking lots are safe and no one is missing any field trips. The school district is still doing the things they have always done to promote a quality education.
The only I wanted to know is where were the band uniforms on Friday night, didn't we vote those in, why weren't they worn?
rodger

Madison, WI

#5 Sep 10, 2008
finest teachers in the nation? in the nation? how would you know? the dedication was very lame and unsophisticated. go ask why new uniforms weren't worn. turf sux but hillbillies running the show think its so shiny and perty.
rodger

Madison, WI

#6 Sep 10, 2008
7600 population but the few that ruined Ingalls, installed turf on Ingalls, put together a shoddy dedication, and the parade of elementary kids are supposed to represent the community and a well involved one? What a joke - yeeeeehaaaaaaa!
Rugrat

Fond Du Lac, WI

#7 Sep 10, 2008
Hey Chelle, take a pill! or call your shrink.
Concerned

Madison, WI

#8 Sep 11, 2008
Rugrat wrote:
Hey Chelle, take a pill! or call your shrink.
PLEASE do not bring her back into the discussions...things have been so tolerable in here.
Concerned

Madison, WI

#9 Sep 11, 2008
PLEASE do not respond to the informed people speaking out, it hurts the politicans chances of pulling the wool over everyone's eyes.
RiponGirl

West Bend, WI

#10 Sep 11, 2008
Too bad the concept of who's informed and who's not is simply in the eye of the beholder...

I understand there are people are not happy about the turf, and I understand there are people very happy about it. Yes, I can honestly say I am a turf-supporter, but no, I'm not going to turn around and start insulting other people just because they don't like it. It should work the same way if the tables were turned as well.

Plain and simple - this is life, there are always going to be things that people don't agree on. Each person is going to have their own opinons, too. Example - what one person here saw as a "shoddy dedication", another saw as "classy". Flip the tables once...if the turf didn't get installed, everyone would be having the same argument, only those who don't like turf would be celebrating, and those who do would be complaining.

It's like beating a dead horse. If it makes you feel better to continually complain (or brag), go ahead...but eventually, everyone needs to move on and discuss something else. You can't talk about turf forever.
Pro Ripon

Madison, WI

#11 Sep 11, 2008
the majority of people complain about the turf because the majority of people voted against it and the majority shouldn't have been ignored. I guess those people will move on when they don't have to pay for it in any way anymore and classrooms are finally given first priority.
Pro Ripon

Madison, WI

#12 Sep 11, 2008
Concerned wrote:
PLEASE do not respond to the informed people speaking out, it hurts the politicans chances of pulling the wool over everyone's eyes.
Totally agree!
4pac

Madison, WI

#13 Sep 11, 2008
Interesting. I wish I could sweep my bills under the rug and ignore my employees like this town's best interests and growing issues are. The nation's politicans could care less about the people so why should we expect any more locally.
john81

Berlin, WI

#14 Sep 14, 2008
4pac wrote:
Interesting. I wish I could sweep my bills under the rug and ignore my employees like this town's best interests and growing issues are. The nation's politicans could care less about the people so why should we expect any more locally.
Make that a six pack for me!!!! No respect and lies = I'll drink to that!*** Go McCain ***
Rugrat

Fond Du Lac, WI

#15 Sep 16, 2008
I would like to personally thank Chelle and Diane C for their opposition to this outstanding community addition. Without that opposition I don't think it would have been possible to galvanize the effort into what has become Ingalls Field. It is always good to have solid opposition from outsiders like them, it brings those of us who actually have lived here for awhile to deliver rather than blat on negatively like they do. If I was the band director at RHS I would politely ask Diane and Chelle to back off before that program is eliminated. Let's see what else do we need here that we can get them to run their mouths on? Stay tuned.
Concerned

Madison, WI

#16 Sep 16, 2008
I think someone was at last night's School Board meeting.....
rodger

Berlin, WI

#17 Sep 16, 2008
Something happened at the meeting? Will it be on cable channel? I don't believe being involved in the kids education is running your mouth - that's not fair and it might be why more people do not get involved. Shame on you.
RiponGirl

West Bend, WI

#18 Sep 17, 2008
As far as I know nothing overly big happened at the meeting. I believe the band director and a student were there to talk about taking a band trip...but that's it.

As for getting involved in eduction, I do agree that parents have every right to be involved and should be involved. But I think there's a fine line between pushing for your child, for the success of your child and pushing for what you, as an adult, want or need (you, of course, in this case is a generic term).

I do like what Rugrat said though, it's an interesting way to approach the situation with those who agree and those who disagree on topics.
Lurker

AOL

#19 Sep 17, 2008
Rugrat: Turf was put in despite the lack of support by the voters. How was this done? A group went out and got the majority of the funding from outsiders. Are these the same outsiders youíre referring to in your post? Certainly your outsiders canít be Michele or Diane - they both live here, raise their families here, and vote here. Theyíre not outsiders; theyíre very active, and very vocal, members of this community. They raise questions that should concern all of us, and I thank them for that.

By the way, how is the fund-raising going to repay that $360,000 outsider-backed loan? And has there been a final tally of the total cost of the installation yet? Itís really too soon to know what the actual maintenance costs will be, but Iíll be waiting to hear that number, too.

I donít think the band director at RHS has anything to fear from Michele or Diane. I seem to recall, in a much earlier post, that Cheddie stated she voted for replacing the band uniforms on the 2nd referendum when they, and other school needs, were split off from the turf issue.

I believe the issue that was brought up by Diane at the RASD meeting Monday night concerns the questionable accounting practices of the district. After all her efforts to resolve this through the board, she now feels it is necessary to take it to court. There are legal opinions supporting both sides of this issue, and it seems to me that she is justified in asking the court to rule. This issue also impacts the salaries of our teachers, and could contribute to a resolution of the contract dispute.

Itís no secret that Dr. Zimman applied for the job in Oshkosh. You donít apply for a job you donít intend to take, so I have to assume he wants to leave Ripon. He didnít get the job, so heís stuck with us, and weíre stuck with someone who wants to leave. I see no reason to change a gifted and talented program that works, just to begin a charter program (by whatever name), that will do no more for our children than the program we already have in place. And that is by no means the only reason I would hold the door open for him to leave.
4pac

Berlin, WI

#20 Sep 17, 2008
Concerned wrote:
I think someone was at last night's School Board meeting.....
Nothing was said about a school board meeting so was "concerned" at the school board meeting and to recognize something said because of it.

I don't understand these despicable attempts to threaten a band program or ilegally post individual names to attack personal safety. If these are interesting approaches to anyone than they need their head exmined.

Are you on the school board Mr. RiponGirl? What does a "rugrat" from MO know about Ripon and why would rugrat care.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ripon College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Smoking Ban Part 4: Fond du Lac area colleges a... (Jun '10) Jun '10 YouCanQuit 1
News Engagement - Karalyn Dehn and Jeffrey Massen (Feb '10) May '10 adams flash 4
News Ripon College hosting interfaith meal, program (Sep '09) Oct '09 Viewer 17
News Colleges peddle bikes to car-loving students (Aug '08) Aug '08 Tory One 1
More from around the web