Southern Baptists Set for a Notable First

Jun 18, 2012 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.nytimes.com

The Southern Baptist Convention, a denomination born in 1845 in defense of slavery and a spiritual home to white supremacists for much of the 20th century, is poised to elect its first African-American president.

The Rev. Fred Luter Jr., 55, a New Orleans pastor who got his start preaching on the streets of the Lower Ninth Ward, is expected to be the only candidate for office on Tuesday when Southern Baptists gather here for their annual meeting.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Rob Birds

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

goood morning dr. Bill_mr! how is yo Pop day! anything fun news2day...SouthernBaptea,,it "s dat call water boardin!!;-000h, and Obama 3amtestea up the GOPiss!;-000r someone miss count John Deere vote just liked Gore v Bush;)

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

but the loons on the left will figure out a way to make THIS look racist, too...

they are very good at that, just ask herman cain.

“never a dull moment in”

Since: Mar 11

Sharpsville Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

I can imagine all those hypocrite southern racists liking that-the convention will be filled with lots of southern baptist rednecks with guns
Rob Birds

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

carey529 wrote:
but the loons on the left will figure out a way to make THIS look racist, too...
someOne is count yo vote on McCain v Obama! carry511?!;)

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

After laying with the Devil, can you come up clean?

At least this is a first step for a huge flock of lost sheep. The 'Southern Baptist' "Religion" is no longer walking away from God and toward Satan. They may not join their own parents in Hell.

Welcome to the Light.
Robert

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Mr_Bill wrote:
After laying with the Devil, can you come up clean?
At least this is a first step for a huge flock of lost sheep. The 'Southern Baptist' "Religion" is no longer walking away from God and toward Satan. They may not join their own parents in Hell.
Welcome to the Light.
It was the way of things at the time for southern groups to split off from northern groups and a cheap shot to cast southern baptist as created in defense of slavery but it is mr bill so I am not surprised.

What changed was that they wanted slave holders to be able to hold church positions and tried to establish a policy of neutrality towards slavery. But that is not the point, the point is the people who did that are dead and the people running the church renounced the racist roots of the split and apologized for its past defense of slavery, segregation, and white supremacism. Today 20% of the churches congregations are majority minority membership. So like I say it is a cheap shot and a divisive one.

“Jesus beat satan”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Yep. It's true. When they took at least half the churches they changed the rules and became satanic DICtators that worship their genitals and mammon wallets. Pretty much like the Catholics and shoved Jesus out of the picture and became the mammon middle man. And those liars call themselves,'Christians'. Don't believe me? Look up: Priesthood of the Believer.
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

scarey000 wrote:
You beat them to it with that race-baiting post, Scarey. Following the Rightie playbook? Start the race-baiting, then try to blame the 'other side' for it? LOL

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
You beat them to it with that race-baiting post, Scarey. Following the Rightie playbook? Start the race-baiting, then try to blame the 'other side' for it? LOL
race baiting post?

fcking idiot.
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

scarey000 wrote:
<quoted text>
race baiting post?
fcking idiot.
Yes, you are. Here's what you posted, even though there was no racial discussion going on:

"..loons on the left will figure out a way to make THIS look racist, too."

Yes, I'd call that a form of race baiting. You brought race into the discussion in a provocative way.

What's your explanation?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••